Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Midlands Meet 29th dec 2018 10.30am

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

midlands meet reboot

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:39 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 pm
road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm im sure your right, seems very likely, and now you have reminded me of my biking days and when i heard and saw a benly honda and had a ghostly experience..
I bet you heard the rattling tappets before you saw the bike :P
Rob
nooo, it howled ! it was a beast of a bike back then.. twice the power of a bantam. and ohc - they had a hissing sound from the engine - and defo no tappet noises
I learnt to ride on a bsa bantam 150cc when I was 13, I remember my cousin howling when I rode it into a hedge :P
I think they had twice the power of a postman (approximately) who eventually managed to tame them for PO usage :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm

When my mum was getting me the forms for a provisional licence in the 90's , she made me promise her that I would stay away from bikes, as she would worry even more than she normally does for me. (I hit the jackpot when my folks adopted me that's for sure!). So as much as I love bikes and the fact dad was actually a proper rocker/biker in the 60's, I've stayed away from bikes :cry:

Truth be told, I know I am an idiot at the best of times and I would have gotten myself either killed or seriously injured before I would have hit my 30's. If I was ever to get myself a bike licence, I would love to have one of the rotary Nortons from the 90's and have it in the JPS livery like the factory Norton's were in British Superbikes in the early 90's!

road warrior

midlands meet reboot

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Felix79 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm When my mum was getting me the forms for a provisional licence in the 90's , she made me promise her that I would stay away from bikes, as she would worry even more than she normally does for me. (I hit the jackpot when my folks adopted me that's for sure!). So as much as I love bikes and the fact dad was actually a proper rocker/biker in the 60's, I've stayed away from bikes :cry:

Truth be told, I know I am an idiot at the best of times and I would have gotten myself either killed or seriously injured before I would have hit my 30's. If I was ever to get myself a bike licence, I would love to have one of the rotary Nortons from the 90's and have it in the JPS livery like the factory Norton's were in British Superbikes in the early 90's!
i never saw a "good" one, but i saw a few ropy tritons.. and yes if ever i had passed my bike test. ... but i discovered wimmin, and while bkes pulled them easy enough, doing something in the dry, well.. i had a minivan, and well.. too many perks - so never had another bike after my royal enfield 250 crusader sports.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

midlands meet reboot

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:12 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Felix79 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm When my mum was getting me the forms for a provisional licence in the 90's , she made me promise her that I would stay away from bikes, as she would worry even more than she normally does for me. (I hit the jackpot when my folks adopted me that's for sure!). So as much as I love bikes and the fact dad was actually a proper rocker/biker in the 60's, I've stayed away from bikes :cry:

i never saw a "good" one, but i saw a few ropy tritons.. and yes if ever i had passed my bike test. ... but i discovered wimmin, and while bkes pulled them easy enough, doing something in the dry, well.. i had a minivan, and well.. too many perks - so never had another bike after my royal enfield 250 crusader sports.
My dad still has his triton from the early 70’s, it’s not left his garage in years though :P
BE2383B9-8FB3-40CB-B45C-2B03109909A5.jpeg
BE2383B9-8FB3-40CB-B45C-2B03109909A5.jpeg (379.31 KiB) Viewed 956 times
6C834F42-0DE6-4C82-87E9-244B293CDD79.jpeg
6C834F42-0DE6-4C82-87E9-244B293CDD79.jpeg (422.78 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 pm

That's a work of art "S Bear" . Dad has some old photos of the bike he built in his late teens early 20's. It was based on a Manx Norton and it's because of that, I have a love for the Norton brand.

Every summer, there is a village just outside Oxford that has this classic bike / bikers show , where the whole village suddenly has beer tents , live music and hundreds of classic and vintage bikes. It's the only time I've been able to see a Vincent Shadow and it was actually being ridden, which I thought was such a cool thing to do, even with them being worth so much money.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

midlands meet reboot

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Felix79 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 pm That's a work of art "S Bear" . Dad has some old photos of the bike he built in his late teens early 20's. It was based on a Manx Norton and it's because of that, I have a love for the Norton brand.

Every summer, there is a village just outside Oxford that has this classic bike / bikers show , where the whole village suddenly has beer tents , live music and hundreds of classic and vintage bikes. It's the only time I've been able to see a Vincent Shadow and it was actually being ridden, which I thought was such a cool thing to do, even with them being worth so much money.
Yep, dads bike has a norton featherbed frame (named after its famed ride quality) the other part of the “triton” name stems from the triumph engine :thumbsup:
Was that a Vincent black shadow? The 1000cc V-twin?
I remember the iconic Rollie Free picture of him wearing only swimming trunks to reduce drag, reaching 150mph and breaking the production bike speed record! :o
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free
77C70B1B-3C64-4347-B8A2-6E6C17CF2D3E.jpeg
77C70B1B-3C64-4347-B8A2-6E6C17CF2D3E.jpeg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Yeah it was a black shadow. Dad was trying to explain to me what made them so special. He actually heard it and straight away knew what it was. The have a distinctive exhaust note to them and have a really odd tail pipe. This would have been around 2003ish that I last went with him to it. I know if he was able to, dad would love to get back into riding, but at his age it's just not worth the risk. A lot of his old riding buddies were still riding when he meet up with them a few years ago. They were all part of the 88 club (I think that's the name), which was a bike club some vicar ran in the 60's.

There was a old Ducati in yellow that was what I now would call a Cafe Racer style. It had the most stunning sloped bars and the gauges were in these bullet nosed housing.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

midlands meet reboot

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Felix79 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm Yeah it was a black shadow. Dad was trying to explain to me what made them so special. He actually heard it and straight away knew what it was. The have a distinctive exhaust note to them and have a really odd tail pipe. This would have been around 2003ish that I last went with him to it. I know if he was able to, dad would love to get back into riding, but at his age it's just not worth the risk. A lot of his old riding buddies were still riding when he meet up with them a few years ago. They were all part of the 88 club (I think that's the name), which was a bike club some vicar ran in the 60's.

There was a old Ducati in yellow that was what I now would call a Cafe Racer style. It had the most stunning sloped bars and the gauges were in these bullet nosed housing.
That was the 59 club :thumbsup:
My dads the same now he’s knocking 80, he only sold his 1000cc Honda cbf earlier this year :o
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 pm
Felix79 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm Yeah it was a black shadow. Dad was trying to explain to me what made them so special. He actually heard it and straight away knew what it was. The have a distinctive exhaust note to them and have a really odd tail pipe. This would have been around 2003ish that I last went with him to it. I know if he was able to, dad would love to get back into riding, but at his age it's just not worth the risk. A lot of his old riding buddies were still riding when he meet up with them a few years ago. They were all part of the 88 club (I think that's the name), which was a bike club some vicar ran in the 60's.

That was the 59 club :thumbsup:
My dads the same now he’s knocking 80, he only sold his 1000cc Honda cbf earlier this year :o
Rob
Bloody hell Rob, that's really bloody impressive! I swear the older my old man gets, his ability to get into trouble skyrockets! My old man looks a lot younger than his years and he keeps moaning to me that he does not feel or think his age at all bless him.

I've got dyslexia so I get names and numbers all muddled up. When dad asks me where I've been out Hooning, he's calling off all these street names and villages and I don't have a bloody clue where he's talking about lol.

road warrior

midlands meet reboot

Post by road warrior » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

What is it about vicars and bikes? We had A famous vicar and his bike club in Birmingham in the 60's. Called the double zero club.
Last edited by road warrior on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:02 am

road warrior wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am What is it about vicars and bikes? We had A famous vicar and his bike club in Birmingham in the 60's
They were trying to reach out to the youth, as back then bikers were frowned on. Mind you I think it's good to be a petrolhead as it's better for your health than drinking and smoking ever will be!

road warrior

midlands meet reboot

Post by road warrior » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:22 pm

so, 9am @ donington services for a short convoy & brekky and gorp at the cars @ Donington race track dec 16th then ! ALL ABOARD :driving:

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 am

It's about a 90 mile drive for me to the services (off the M1?) "RW" would you check to see I've got the right place https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/8+Mil ... 52.8216418?

It might be a bit too much for me to do a 200+ mile round trip atm (due to my back being untested driving this far in my Zed), but in the new year I may be able to handle such a long trip on my own (I think my old man won't be able to join me this Sunday).

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

midlands meet reboot

Post by markplant » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am

Felix79 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 am It's about a 90 mile drive for me to the services (off the M1?) "RW" would you check to see I've got the right place https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/8+Mil ... 52.8216418?

It might be a bit too much for me to do a 200+ mile round trip atm (due to my back being untested driving this far in my Zed), but in the new year I may be able to handle such a long trip on my own (I think my old man won't be able to join me this Sunday).
That's the donington services :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Felix79

midlands meet reboot

Post by Felix79 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 am

Cheers for the comfirm Mark! :thumbsup:
i'll have to see how my back behaves over the weekend, but I kinda want to do a really long journey blasting in my Z4M :driving: