Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M4 Front Brake Caliper Retrofit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 pm

As per the title really, I recently got hold of some front brake calipers of of an M4, tidied them up and repainted them before sticking them on the Z4. Unfortunately the M3/M4 discs don't fit however 370mm performance discs from a 340i/440i etc bolt right on.

It's still in the process of bedding in somewhat but the pedal does feel a little more solid, certainly feels as though there's a lot of potential there as they bed in properly.
The calipers themselves aren't that much larger then the old ones and so don't feel any different in terms of weight, if anything they are a bit lighter perhaps? Anything gained there is likely offset by the larger discs however picking them up side by side, I'd say there isn't that much between them.
The biggest difference is in the pads themselves as the contact patch on the M4 calipers is a lot larger than the original pads.

Very pleased with them so far, shall update when they're properly bedded in.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm interested in this thread. So this sounds like they bolt straight on, does the caliper need the carrier too or is it a case of old off and new straight on ? As for the discs is there a year of car they come from ? same with the Calipers ?

Might need to start myself a search for some, I bet they a tidy price though :(
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm

They really do just bolt straight on, it actually took me more time to change the discs/pads on the back axle than the whole lot on the front! :rofl:

In the process of this I did find someone offering fully refurbished calipers at reasonable cost, perhaps if there's a number of people interested then I might be able to get some money knocked off of them and put some kits together as I can get a pretty hefty discount on the discs too.
At a guess I'd say I could put something together for around £900? I'd have to look into it properly to be honest but that'd cover calipers, discs, pads, new bolts and the wear sensor.
The discs and pads I used are TRW who are one of BMW's oe suppliers.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm They really do just bolt straight on, it actually took me more time to change the discs/pads on the back axle than the whole lot on the front! :rofl:

In the process of this I did find someone offering fully refurbished calipers at reasonable cost, perhaps if there's a number of people interested then I might be able to get some money knocked off of them and put some kits together as I can get a pretty hefty discount on the discs too.
At a guess I'd say I could put something together for around £900? I'd have to look into it properly to be honest but that'd cover calipers, discs, pads, new bolts and the wear sensor.
The discs and pads I used are TRW who are one of BMW's oe suppliers.
Mmmm sounds interesting. So I'm guessing they are off any year of M4 and any year of 340i/440i as long as they are 370mm.
Your pricing doesn't seem too bad.
I was going to put some Yellow stuff pads in mine and see how it felt but might have to give this some serious thought.

Cheers
JJ
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:50 pm

When researching I when on realoem and took part numbers off of a 2016 440i. I don't think it matters what year as long as its the 370mm discs however I can attest that 2016 works.
Likewise, any year M4 or F series M3 for the calipers, I believe the are the same calipers on the 440i however the particular ones I got hold of were from an M4 so used M4 part numbers for the pads.

I'll get in contact with some of the parts suppliers and see how much I can get them to cut prices down by too :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm I'm interested in this thread. So this sounds like they bolt straight on, does the caliper need the carrier too or is it a case of old off and new straight on ? As for the discs is there a year of car they come from ? same with the Calipers ?

Might need to start myself a search for some, I bet they a tidy price though :(
Settle yourself down Nigel lad.....you’ve only just bought the piggin thing.... :poke: :P
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm

More people need to fiddle with these cars John! :P
There's a surprising amount that can be done when looking into it :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm More people need to fiddle with these cars John! :P
It’s a good upgrade definitely.. :thumbsup:

I’m putting Eibach anti roll bars on mine to try to stiffen the cornering up a bit. There’s a better car in there I think, just needs some careful tinkering. :driving:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nick9one1

Post by Nick9one1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 pm
Player 1 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm More people need to fiddle with these cars John! :P
It’s a good upgrade definitely.. :thumbsup:

I’m putting Eibach anti roll bars on mine to try to stiffen the cornering up a bit. There’s a better car in there I think, just needs some careful tinkering. :driving:
I'm not sure if its been mentioned on here, but its possible to swap out the upper and lower control arms on the e89 with e9x M3 front arms.
The M3 arms use a bearing/bushing arrangement instead of the rubber bushing on the e89. Camber is also increased.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 am

Are you sure they were from a M4? Only reason I ask is they aren’t silver with BMW performance on them, they are blue with the M logo or yellow if they are ceramic. The M4 also takes 380mm discs not 370mm so is it that you’ve bought the BMW performance kit from a 3/4 series which takes the 370mm discs?

It’s a nice upgrade. Probably a good job they aren’t the M4 ones cause the discs alone are over a grand.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Wow, that’s a fantastic upgrade if they just bolt on to the existing carriers. How’s the match from a piston area point of view? Amazing how small some of these multi-pots can be.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Nick9one1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 am I'm not sure if its been mentioned on here, but its possible to swap out the upper and lower control arms on the e89 with e9x M3 front arms.
The M3 arms use a bearing/bushing arrangement instead of the rubber bushing on the e89. Camber is also increased.
Already did that lot Nick, here's the thread of going about doing it;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108512

I should probably do one big thread with everything I've done to this car :lol:

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Angie4m wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 am Are you sure they were from a M4? Only reason I ask is they aren’t silver with BMW performance on them, they are blue with the M logo or yellow if they are ceramic. The M4 also takes 380mm discs not 370mm so is it that you’ve bought the BMW performance kit from a 3/4 series which takes the 370mm discs?

It’s a nice upgrade. Probably a good job they aren’t the M4 ones cause the discs alone are over a grand.
Sorry, I think you may want to read the first paragraph in my original post again. :wink:

I said the calipers were off of an M4 and I repainted them. I then put the bmw performance decals on there, I didn't want the 'look at me' blue and it's not an M car so didn't want the M decals either. :)
I found the M4 discs won't fit due to the different offsets, as such 370mm ones from the 440i were used.
Hope that clears it up!

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:47 pm Wow, that’s a fantastic upgrade if they just bolt on to the existing carriers. How’s the match from a piston area point of view? Amazing how small some of these multi-pots can be.
Thanks! Now they've bedded in a bit more it's feeling better and better. There's a nice firm pedal which is easy to modulate, I did get a chance to do a bigger stop or two today and there's noticeably more stopping power from higher speed.
A bit of a first world problem but it definitely takes less pedal pressure to trigger the hazard lights :rofl:

It's hard to say what difference there is in piston area, for sure it's more but the single piston was a pretty big one! I'll take a look at the old caliper a bit more closely and let you know :thumbsup:
The difference in the size of the pads is huge though, I'll get some rough measurements and figure out some percentages too.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:42 pm
Nick9one1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 am I'm not sure if its been mentioned on here, but its possible to swap out the upper and lower control arms on the e89 with e9x M3 front arms.
Already did that lot Nick, here's the thread of going about doing it;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108512

I should probably do one big thread with everything I've done to this car :lol:
Very interesting read on the M3 parts Player...something I’ll definately be doing. :thumbsup:

I also wondered about using the line lock from PB brakes for fitting the whole M4 brake kit if the rears will fit too.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29