Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally a replacement for the Z4M - Porsche Boxster S 981

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

Post by Jaw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 am

So I've had a few cars since the Z4M but none of them quite had the same feel (especially as none have been a convertible) but I've finally found something that gives me similar thrills as a stop-gap :D

Put a deposit down today on this

Slightly down on power compared to the Z, and less than the 911 and much less than the M3 but I'm seriously in love with it. It's so damn chuckable, does exactly what you hope it will. Similar sort of thrills as the Z with the roof down albeit not as throttle-down-arse-outish, that flat six sounds epic (tried a 718 and it's a serious bit of kit - 4 cylinders just isn't for me), the brakes are Awesome - I think it's probably one of the most well-rounded cars I've had a play in. The PDK is special. Only bad thing so far is that it isn't a GTS :driving:

I have wood.

Universe willing I can pick her up this week

First thing I noticed about build quality is in the seats - the bolsters have shrugged off 40k miles of wear better than the ones in the M3 has 24k
Last edited by Jaw on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Finally topless again

Post by markplant » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:53 am

Liking that
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Barneybee

Post by Barneybee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Great choice, I've had Boxsters and 911s in the past and was going down that route again when I saw this Orange Z4. I liked it so bought it, only had it a few days but its quite lively, turns heads and puts a smile on my face. What's not to like.
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 am

Completely unrelated and out of context but...
Barneybee - i see your location is Shropshire but do you have anything to do with Norfolk?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Havard

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 am

Good choice. Enjoy..!!
ImageImage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am

Very nice. 8) :thumbsup: Plus with that neat little aero lip on the lights, you can tell which is the rear. :thumbsup:

That is the rear I hope. :wink:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am Very nice. 8) :thumbsup: Plus with that neat little aero lip on the lights, you can tell which is the rear. :thumbsup:

:lol:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 am

I’m guessing you don’t find the seats utter rubbish then Jaw..? I hate the seats in my 981, stupidly hard on the back, zero side support, and too narrow at the top shoulder height. Completely spoils the car to me. I’m looking at Recaro aftermarket seats to put in, that’s if I don’t chop it in for the new Zed... :roll:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Wow, really loving that, mate :thumbsup: Any more pics? I realise you haven't picked it up, but is the listing still up?

Cheers
BTW, your Z4M will live on in the 224's that are gracing my Zed (at least for now) 8)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 am

Very tasty - good choice :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Cheers all
john-e89 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 am I’m guessing you don’t find the seats utter rubbish then Jaw..? I hate the seats in my 981, stupidly hard on the back, zero side support, and too narrow at the top shoulder height. Completely spoils the car to me. I’m looking at Recaro aftermarket seats to put in, that’s if I don’t chop it in for the new Zed... :roll:
I find the seats pretty comfy after a few 5 hour trips, but I Can see them being a 'they either fit you or they don't' type affair. Although When really pressing on I did feel like a little be more side support would help. I'm a shortarse though so maybe that's why I fit in a little better?

Although you've got me googling recaros now - looks like a sportster can be made to fit. Although I hate that they don't really save much weight, I do love the sportsters..

Speaking of the new Zed, saw the reviews are starting to pour out now, undecided on whether they quite hit the mark of going more ///M less Cruiser?

buzyg wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am Very nice. 8) :thumbsup: Plus with that neat little aero lip on the lights, you can tell which is the rear. :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl:
Barneybee wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm Great choice, I've had Boxsters and 911s in the past and was going down that route again when I saw this Orange Z4. I liked it so bought it, only had it a few days but its quite lively, turns heads and puts a smile on my face. What's not to like.
In fairness, I love the orange Z4's, they're just so lairy :D
enzed4 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am Wow, really loving that, mate :thumbsup: Any more pics? I realise you haven't picked it up, but is the listing still up?

Cheers
BTW, your Z4M will live on in the 224's that are gracing my Zed (at least for now) 8)
Very Glad! :D Gone but not forgotten

Have picked it up now and had a few really good trips in NSW :driving:

Generally So impressed with how the car just rotates around you when you hit the twisty stuff. Found an awesome mountain pass and the pace that you can throw it into corners is comical for what it is. Did the same pass in the M3 which was great but in a smaller convertible there's just so much added drama :D

It's probably faster in auto mode but something so satisfying about banging down the gears between a couple of s bends, hard braking and then riding that sound out of a corner. bliss.

It's a good contrast to the 911, would love to get it over here to try the same roads for a direct comparison!
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm

It’s a cracking colour too, very very nice. I agree on the comedy value, they’re crazy chuckable aren’t they... :lol:

I’m a short arse too but my back and shoulders are too wide for the seats, I guess from being a long time competitive swimmer. They put wing backs in the options list but there’s still no more side bolster support and the wings don’t look very wide either, I do find it strange that you don’t seem to read about how bad the seats are....must just be me.... :roll: :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 am

haha I bet now you've mentioned it it will bug me no end!! Have to drive 5 hours to work again on Monday so will mull it over as I do. I did find I had to mess about with the height and position for a good hour before I found a sweet spot.

It could just be that it hasn't sunk in for me just yet :lol:

Thinking about it my 911's seats are very similar
Last edited by Jaw on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 am

Are you in NSW now? For some reason I thought you are in WA. You’ll have to send me the name of the mountain pass for when my ///M arrives in Aus :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:16 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 am Are you in NSW now? For some reason I thought you are in WA. You’ll have to send me the name of the mountain pass for when my ///M arrives in Aus :thumbsup:
Sort of :) I live in WA but I work all over, last 12 months have been in Sydney most weeks :D

Makes running the dealership a nightmare (weekends only) but it's not forever I spose!

I basically followed the Putty Road all the way up past singleton, there's a part towards - I'll have to keep a record of all the jaunts and flick you any good ones, bringing my GoPro from home if I remember to put up a vid on the website so will take a vid or two :thumbsup:

Here's an overview of one of the fun bits though

You have to go very early otherwise it's swarming with bikers and general people which makes it very slow in the corners. One of my fav drives so far because you can enjoy it without having to be doing licence-loosing speeds