Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

regualr items

"M" Specific discussion
houtie123

regualr items

Post by houtie123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm

I have a Z4MR that is currently doing around 1-2000 km per year, as its a summer car.
For my own piece of mind, I think its sensible to have oil, filters etc performed annually.

With such a low mileage , what else would anyone suggest is worth having done/checked?
The car is garaged and trickle charged.

99ron

regualr items

Post by 99ron » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 pm

I think there's a fair few folks on here that do low mileage but do an oil and filter change annually.
I change mine myself between indie/dealer stamped 2 yearly services, usually as it comes out of winter storage.
Premium brand Oil plus genuine filter can be found for very reasonable prices and for the sake of 30 mins work its a no brainer.
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

Spaniarduk

regualr items

Post by Spaniarduk » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Im in the same boat. About 3000 fair weather miles a year amd currently SORN'd till the spring. Oil and filter is a must at the end of hibernation. Only other things I make sure about are:
1. store the car complete dry. By that i mean dont wash it and store. This could cause brake callipers to seize up and similar problems in normally moving parts that will stand for months.
2. Over pump the tyres to avoid flat spots
3. Brim the fuel tank to prevent petrol from oxidising and condensation from occurring inside the tank.
4. Do not apply the hand brake to help prevent brake seizure.
Apart from that i can't think of anything I'd check or service before or at the point of bringing the car back onto the road.
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo πŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒ

Cobs

regualr items

Post by Cobs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am

Our Z4MC is in winter storage similar to the above. Attached to a trickle charger.
One question though and I can't fInd a definite answer....
Is it best to regularly start it and run it on idle until it warms up or best just to leave it in hibernation ???
In the 'old days', I was taught never to start the car and let it idle. If you start it then run it immediately.
Thanks

srhutch

regualr items

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Cobs wrote: ↑Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am Our Z4MC is in winter storage similar to the above. Attached to a trickle charger.
One question though and I can't fInd a definite answer....
Is it best to regularly start it and run it on idle until it warms up or best just to leave it in hibernation ???
In the 'old days', I was taught never to start the car and let it idle. If you start it then run it immediately.
Thanks
It's best to leave it alone, keep starting it up and letting it idle does more harm than good.

Cobs

regualr items

Post by Cobs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for that srhutch.

Spaniarduk

regualr items

Post by Spaniarduk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:57 pm

I agree. Better left alone.
I forgot to mention the trickle charger. I do that too :D
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino

mark seeker

regualr items

Post by mark seeker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I was thinking of changing the oil / filter before it went to storage, but the consensus sounds like this is best to do when it's taken out of storage?
Current - Ruby Black MR

Spaniarduk

regualr items

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Yup, otherwise you'll have the oil sitting in the car oxidising ( a bit) durinnng the winter. You might as well leave the old one in there.
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

regualr items

Post by ph001 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:37 pm

srhutch wrote: ↑Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm It's best to leave it alone, keep starting it up and letting it idle does more harm than good.
Not sure I fully agree with that. Just starting it up on the cold cycle without getting it fully up to temperature is defo not good but similarly there are a lot of oil seals and o-rings around the engine and particularly vanos that can dry out if left without oil for months. Personally I would recommend a start up and 20 mile drive once a month. Failing that I would hold it at 2000rpm and bring the oil fully up to temperature.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Papa_Zee

regualr items

Post by Papa_Zee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Yep.... The Readhead is in for the long sleep :-)

Winter Hibernation!
E89 35is

PDJ

regualr items

Post by PDJ » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm

You could consider keeping the battery on trickle charge and once a month turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed this will allow the oil to circulate around the engine without producing any hydrocarbons etc. if the car is stored on axle stands you could also turn the gearbox and diff over for a few revs just to lube every thing without any real strain. Maybe only starter motor probably less than starting a reluctant engine, when the plugs are out though.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

regualr items

Post by ph001 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:53 pm

PDJ wrote: ↑Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm You could consider keeping the battery on trickle charge and once a month turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed this will allow the oil to circulate around the engine without producing any hydrocarbons etc. if the car is stored on axle stands you could also turn the gearbox and diff over for a few revs just to lube every thing without any real strain. Maybe only starter motor probably less than starting a reluctant engine, when the plugs are out though.
Only problem with that is pushing a load of unburned fuel into the cats, and it will also wash the bores, removing the oil film from the cylinders.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

regualr items

Post by buzyg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Great info here guys thx. :thumbsup: The Zed gets enough running through winer to not worry. But this year we have our son's Mx5 sat on the drive while he is away adventuring. :)