Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i (Thank you and farewell!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i (Thank you and farewell!)

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 am

Current pic of the car:

Page 3: Nardo Wrap complete
Page 5: Dashcam hardwire, Black dipped mirrors
Page 6: Vanos seals service, Blox Spacers, Soft top replacement, M Perf knob rep
Page 7: Supersprint Powerloop, Customising Perf knob rep, clutch stop, switching fogs, finishing Bluetooth Dongle set up
___

Hey guys,

Some of you may know that I had issues with my clear coat peeling on my boot. I ended up deciding to get it professionally repainted but while I was getting quotes, I said "f it. Might as well give wrapping a go if I'm going to have it resprayed!".

For context, I've wrapped stuff before like interior trim but never an entire car... and let me tell you, it is pretty F***NG hard. I've got a lot of respect for the pros you see on Youtube that make it look like a breeze - and if I'm honest, I always thought a few thousand $$$ for a wrap was excessive... but not anymore. This is labour and detail intensive work.

First panel took me 4 hours to do - just because I faffed around with trying to "glass" the film too much. Turns out, I was trying too hard. So the same panel on the other side took me only 1.5 hrs and looked a tonne better. The last panel I did (left rear) only took me 35 minutes to lay so I'm getting better :rofl: ! Unfortunately my garage isn't the cleanest even though I gave it a once over and I'm getting specks of dust sometimes. Oh well!

I'm only day 3 atm (first day was clean + disassmble) and my finger tips are raw from pressing/pulling - even with gloves!

Anyways, I'm hoping to be done by Friday. Haven't decided if the door hands need to come off (tbh I'm feeling a bit lazy at this point) but I'll throw a test piece on and see if the grey-on-grey gap tucks in OK.

Will update this thread with my progress :)

Pics so far:

Last edited by tomrdy on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:52 am, edited 16 times in total.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

BRC

Tomrdy's Nardo-grey-esque wrapped 3.0i (in progress)

Post by BRC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 am

Looking good and if you maintain that standard the car should look like new when finished.
Professionals do this day in day out and know how the characteristics of the wrapping materials, your on the learning curve but obviously doing a good job.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:58 am

Loving it so far :thumbsup:
E85 Z4R 3.0si 2006 current:
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 am

Nardo grey looks like primer :fuelfire:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:02 am

Looks really good. I like the colour :thumbsup:

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Hats off to you OP for having a go as it looks very difficult to achieve a good result. Not sure about the colour but I think it will look better when fully done and also better in reality rather than through a camera lense.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

Didn't do any new panels today just some small bits.

Also tried waxing the vinyl - it actually takes it on very well!

Zoomer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:02 pm Hats off to you OP for having a go as it looks very difficult to achieve a good result. Not sure about the colour but I think it will look better when fully done and also better in reality rather than through a camera lense.
I'm actually also a bit unsure about the colour if I'm honest but it seems to look wildly different depending on the lighting and surroundings. I guess because it's essentially a 50% grey which is super neutral.

This was the PS impression I did before locking in my choice - I don't have any black vinyl for the window frame though. Hoping it turns out something like this (I'm also adding some EZ lips on the front and back... don't know how those will turn out lol).

___
Australia

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 pm

I think the black on the bottom of front bumper makes it look a bit high , but top job for having a go looks a job well done
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:17 pm

markplant wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 pm I think the black on the bottom of front bumper makes it look a bit high , but top job for having a go looks a job well done
Thanks :) I've had the bottom black for a while now but I've had a similar thought as you. I'm unsure whether I should remove (its dip) the black if I'm adding the lip on the bottom.

Car prior to wrapping:

I guess I'll see how I feel on the day!
___
Australia

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Looks like you are doing a great job to me. Looking forward to the end result :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Huge project - looks like you're up to the challenge though :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Montegojones41

Post by Montegojones41 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Great job so far!
Montego blue Z4 2.5si 2007

CrazyBaptie

Post by CrazyBaptie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Looks great! Always wanted to give wrapping ago all be it on one of my much older simpler cars. What sort of prep did you do to the paintwork? I take it you had to get it resprayed first and any stone chips ect dealt with?

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm

CrazyBaptie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm Looks great! Always wanted to give wrapping ago all be it on one of my much older simpler cars. What sort of prep did you do to the paintwork? I take it you had to get it resprayed first and any stone chips ect dealt with?
I didn't respray any of the panels (or the boot) because besides the peeling clear on the corner, the rest is still totally fine. So all I did was sand down the clear and misted over it with some touch up (should probably use primer but it's what I had on hand) and levelled it out :rofl:

one caveat though if you are thinking of wrapping your older cars is check all the seams. My left rear quarter was repaired (poorly) after an accident and I actually have some paint lifting in one of the edges. Something like that may fail when the time comes to remove the vinyl so extra caution needed. I decided to still do it because I figure that's future-tom's problem :evil:

Stone chips I've left as they aren't too bad on my car surprisingly though I've got a few nasty ones on the bonnet that I've just filled in a bit with paint and gave it a rub down.

Depends really how perfect you want to get it I suppose!

Other than that I've just washed the car and then with each panel right before laying vinyl:

- wipe down with APC
- clay bar
- wipe down again with APC
- wax and grease remover
___
Australia

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am

UPDATE:

Took the door card off to access the door handle. I realised at the end that the wing mirror is legit just held in with 3 torx screws - so that would've made the wrap more perfect :headbang: Passenger side will be sweet though haha!

Side note: What's up with the window weather strip on the door? It's like half rubber half metal bendy. I didn't realise it was going to be malleable and ended up making it a bit warpy :(... again... Passenger side will be sweet though lol.

Did have a setback though today. My first attempt at the door took 2.5-3 hours and just as I finsihed and got to cutting, I messed up a cut and had to start from scratch :headbang: However... when I laid it a second time, I tried a different approach and did it in 15 minutes and didn't even need to use the heat gun.... so I guess I was doing it bloody wrong the first time!

TIP: Lay the doors downwards not across! :thumbsup:

Especially happy with the door seam - got it pretty much perfectly matched with the folded metal bit!

Don't think I will finish on Friday though as I think my body needs a break. I still can't believe how tiring this is!
___
Australia