Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blimming e brake stuffed after disc change

ScottA

Post by ScottA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Probably not very smart I know but just went gung no and changed the discs without doing anything other than leaving e brake off.

Cue error code 480 and none working e brake!

Weirdly when driving the e brake could be applied - you could feel it - but none functioning when stopped.

Tried disconnecting battery - no change

Tgen it got worse - I disconnected battery whilst e brake switch held up. I heard the rear near side apply when I reconnected battery but not offside and now - yes you've guessed it - the offside is stuck on!

Any suggestions - other than I'm an idiot!

2010 23i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Just changed my cars pads, i just leave ebrake off with wheels chocked.
Actually had the ebrake connectors off and motors removed.
Just replaced everything and working fine.
Sure you haven't dislodged one of the ebrake connectors?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am

Unfortunately you have probably just encountered the common fault with the E-brake that will now need a software update to fix.
It seems it is normally triggered by a low battery and maybe you changing the discs was just a coincidence.
When ours went the discs and pads had been changed months before
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am

I didn't think you could do the rear brakes without putting to ebrake into service mode.

When I did mine I had to use ISTA to wind the ebrake fully back (same as the normal ebrake release but keeps winding back for 10 seconds rather than 2). I think merely releasing the ebrake just winds it back slightly so you may have stuffed it when forcing the piston back in. It's probably lost track of its travel limits, I'd have a workshop with the BMW software take a look and run through the ebrake service function.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am I didn't think you could do the rear brakes without putting to ebrake into service mode.

When I did mine I had to use ISTA to wind the ebrake fully back (same as the normal ebrake release but keeps winding back for 10 seconds rather than 2). I think merely releasing the ebrake just winds it back slightly so you may have stuffed it when forcing the piston back in. It's probably lost track of its travel limits, I'd have a workshop with the BMW software take a look and run through the ebrake service function.
I changed ours and just followed guides on the net.
They are no different really from any other rear calipers other than the motor that is attached to them.
I didn't have to force the pistons back, just wound them like any other and they were free moving.
I am sure that others that have had the e-brake problem have not had any work done before the problem.

ScottA

Post by ScottA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks for replies.

Problem I have is the car is stuck in my parking space with the near side ebrake stuck on.

Is there any way of emergency release?

I've seen some laptop cable and software bundles on eBay, would they allow me to at least release it do you think.

When we wound the pistols back in the near side was easy but offside difficult/resistant

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Why not strip the rear caliper again. If you cracked the bleed nipple i dare say it will give just enough to give you space to wiggle the caliper off.

Then....Put the rear handbrake into service mode with a diag machine and then wind back the pistons correctly on both sides.

ScottA

Post by ScottA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks that's great. Can i put it in service mode using a cable such as this and the software bundled?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OBD- ... %7Ciid%3A1

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Yea..

Ista will do it..

ScottA

Post by ScottA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Cool - many thanks

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Is it possibly what you did after putting the new discs and pads on?
If I remember right you operate the brakes via the pedal until the pads meet the disc and are in position and then operate the e-brake.
I don't suppose you pressed the e-brake before making sure the pads were on the disc by using the brake pedal.
It might just mean stripping them back off, winding the caliper pistons back out until they are even and then start again.

ScottA

Post by ScottA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm

I think the brake warning pinged up straight away but definitely pumped brakes before trying switch