Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Doh! The stupid mistakes thread - things you wish you’d never done . . .

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:32 pm

I’ll kick things off – I cracked my windscreen with my elbow when pulling off my gear knob :oops:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Getting to know Pastry :P
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 pm

On my last Z...

Cracked my windscreen when changing the wiper blade and the empty blade arm smacked down on it...

Broke the clip on the bottom of the door lock knob-stalk thing when I closed the door with the door card off, halfway through fixing something else...

Got out the car with it in drive and it drove forward into the garage door before I could leap in to put my foot on the brake. Twice. Second time cost me £500 for a new garage door. Car was actually fine.

Spent £450 on mint 224s, sold the car 6 weeks later and the ones on my new to me M were, let’s say, sub-par.

:oops:

On the M...

Getting the centre vents out, snapped one of the pins so the side to side direction handle wouldn’t work...

Parked enthusiastically and hit a fang on a high kerb, the under tray on the corner literally exploded, cost me £80 for a new part. Still need to get a new air duct as the one in-situ is cable-tied in place.

That’s it so far, at least that’s all I can remember :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:08 pm

:? Is this all the room I get.....??

No point starting, I’ll not get half in here.... :P :oops:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 pm

When reversing with PDC you hear the flatline but it can go a bit further. I overestimated this and ended up bumping into the crash barrier! :oops:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm

I wish I'd never ridden a pushbike to visit my step-daughter on Mother's Day 2013....

----

I have posted about this before but here we go again...

It being Mother's Day, we decided to take pushbikes down't pub to see step-daughter for appropriate lunchtime celebrations... Unfortunately, on the way back, certain step-father clipped a kerb and ended up unconscious on the pavement with a nasty scalp wound

Cindy called an ambulance but, because we were just around the corner from home, and being a man and knowing best, I insisted that I was fine and was intent on getting indoors – I didn’t realise quite what a state I was in… until my loving wife grabbed me warmly by the throat and showed me... but being held by the throat did make things a bit more comfortable while I was getting treated by the paramedics.
1_zps637aa4dd.jpg
1_zps637aa4dd.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Even though I got knocked out, I managed to avoid a trip to hospital because Cindy’s a nurse and could keep an eye on me for 24 hours in case of concussion

This was my head after the paramedics cleaned away most of the blood - Cindy said that, when the edges were pulled apart you could see bone.... :cry: I've still got a nice scar to remind me of my stupidity...
2_zps81bd3227.jpg
2_zps81bd3227.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:46 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm I wish I'd never ridden a pushbike to visit my step-daughter on Mother's Day 2013....

----

I have posted about this before but here we go again...

It being Mother's Day, we decided to take pushbikes down't pub to see step-daughter for appropriate lunchtime celebrations... Unfortunately, on the way back, certain step-father clipped a kerb and ended up unconscious on the pavement with a nasty scalp wound

Cindy called an ambulance but, because we were just around the corner from home, and being a man and knowing best, I insisted that I was fine and was intent on getting indoors – I didn’t realise quite what a state I was in… until my loving wife grabbed me warmly by the throat and showed me... but being held by the throat did make things a bit more comfortable while I was getting treated by the paramedics.

1_zps637aa4dd.jpg
Even though I got knocked out, I managed to avoid a trip to hospital because Cindy’s a nurse and could keep an eye on me for 24 hours in case of concussion

This was my head after the paramedics cleaned away most of the blood - Cindy said that, when the edges were pulled apart you could see bone.... :cry: I've still got a nice scar to remind me of my stupidity...

2_zps81bd3227.jpg
That’s nasty, looks like it’s completely ruined your hair style :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

obewan

Post by obewan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Last week I left a fairly new pair of Ray Bans on the back of the mower used to cut the football pitch
(I left them there as previously when I left another pair on the drivers seat, I then proceeded to sit on them :cry: )

After adjusting the cutting height (and forgetting they were there) I sent off on a trial run.
As I turned back to the clubhouse unbeknown to me they fell off

Satisfied the cut was 'right' I carried on cutting the grass and promptly ran over them :evil:
Gutted!

After he stopped laughing, a colleague reckoned 'it could have been worse'
Apparently a couple of years ago he did the same thing with his car remote fob
He needed all new locks and a new fob
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Drove my Zed into the Garage, literally, :oops: Neatly removing the near side indicator and some how absolutely nothing else. :D Cost £20 for a new indicator.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Walked into a wrong meeting at work and sat down with the deputy Mayor giving a speech and only realised after about 30 seconds after beckoning to a colleague to sit down next to me who was standing by the door gesturing to me to leave quickly :lol: . I've never been so stared out if a room as I left :oops:

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Drove my Z very carefully into the garage. It’s a tight fit and the wing mirrors get very close to the door frame. Stopped to check, putting my hand on the mirror between it and the door frame. Eased forward and foot slipped off the clutch. Haven’t any pictures but it involved a visit to A and E, six stitches and a broken finger. However flesh heels and it would have cost good money if the Z had been damaged. I have now covered the edges of the frame with polystyrene pipe insulation.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Unplugged the trickle charger but drove off forgetting to disconnect it from the charging points under the bonnet so dragged the plug for half a mile up the road :headbang:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Oh Perrygun, how I sympathise, your picture could be my head last Christmas eve,,,, walking back from the pub with my son, I pushed the button at a zebra crossing, stepped back,, and lost my footing (yes guilty, I was a bit pissed) bang on the pavement, 4 hours in A & E and 8 stitches later, I got home, I too now bare the scars
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Looking back ive had many :oops: probably too many but two stick in my mind & make me laugh now :P

Long overnight drive to South of France from Lancs id left the autoroute , Merc 230estate , wife , 2 young children & 4 bikes upside down on roofrack :oops: i was exhausted & spotted a car park for a break stop , drove in without registering the metal security hoop :cry: ripped all 4 bikes clean off , mangled them & left deep scratches all down the rear tailgate & bumper :P

previous to that one of my first cars had steel wheels that i decided to upgrade to alloys , subsequently purchased & fitted but not realised that the alloys needed bigger headed wheelbolts :cry: yep , all bolted on , got 3- 4miles down the road when the wheels wobbled over the smaller headed wheelnuts :o totally undriveable it took hours to sort out then another £100 for a set of the proper bolts :roll:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm Unplugged the trickle charger but drove off forgetting to disconnect it from the charging points under the bonnet so dragged the plug for half a mile up the road :headbang:
:lol: That one made me chuckle. :driving: :thumbsup: