Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bloody Death-Wish Cyclists....

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:29 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 am
Zed Baron wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am What really annoys me are the people who have 'Child on board!' signs on their car back windows and then drive like absolute plums! :x
I always treat them as warnings of unpredictable behaviour... they only have them 'cos nobody seems to make 'Twát at wheel' signs... :evil:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kierandc5

Post by Kierandc5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm

I often wear headphones when cycling and I feel it improves your awareness, I constantly look over my shoulder. Even when I don't wear them you can't hear a car coming until its right behind you from wind buffering.

The cyclist that tend to be knobs are the ones who most likely don't have a driving licence or worse still vegan

Keet

Post by Keet » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:36 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 am I always treat them as warnings of unpredictable behaviour... they only have them 'cos nobody seems to make 'Twát at wheel' signs... :evil:
I've seen plenty of potential customers for those over the past couple of days! :driving:
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Kierandc5 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm I often wear headphones when cycling and I feel it improves your awareness, I constantly look over my shoulder. Even when I don't wear them you can't hear a car coming until its right behind you from wind buffering.
How can blocking one of your senses 'improve your awareness'? It's a bit like saying 'I'm a better driver when I'm drunk because I drive slower and I'm more alert for cop cars'....

I hope you carry an organ donor card....
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:55 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 am
Zed Baron wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am What really annoys me are the people who have 'Child on board!' signs on their car back windows and then drive like absolute plums! :x
I always treat them as warnings of unpredictable behaviour... they only have them 'cos nobody seems to make 'Twát at wheel' signs... :evil:
Hmmm... I see a gap in the market! if you see 't**t at the wheel!' signs on Amazon or Ebay or my appearance on Dragon's Den you know where I got the idea from :wink:

djstan

Post by djstan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:42 am

Kierandc5 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm The cyclist that tend to be knobs are the ones who most likely don't have a driving licence or worse still vegan
:rofl:
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:09 pm

jabber wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 am Everyone annoys me :D
+1 :lol: :fuelfire:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:42 am

Kierandc5 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pmI often wear headphones when cycling and I feel it improves your awareness, I constantly look over my shoulder. Even when I don't wear them you can't hear a car coming until its right behind you from wind buffering.
I 100% disagree. Depending on wind direction I can usually hear when a car is behind me. You hear brakes as they approach, downshifts, turbo whistle, gravel under their tyres, sometimes hear their music...all kinds of sounds. I don't understand how shutting off your hearing can possibly "improve your awareness". When I'm out cycling and overtaking "keen cyclists" who are wearing earphones I curse them for not hearing me behind them. Those without earphones will hear my excessively loud shifter clicks and keep in. I almost smashed straight into a girl at speed down Cheddar Gorge because she suddenly veered out to the central white line. She did this over and over again. When I eventually passed her on a straight section I could see the earphones :x

I'm with chapeau. Good luck to anyone wishing to survive on a bicycle if you can't even hear what's happening around you.

OP - There are idiots in every walk of life. Lycra seems to breed quite a few of them unfortunately!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Kierandc5

Post by Kierandc5 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 am

wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:42 am
Kierandc5 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pmI often wear headphones when cycling and I feel it improves your awareness, I constantly look over my shoulder. Even when I don't wear them you can't hear a car coming until its right behind you from wind buffering.
I 100% disagree. Depending on wind direction I can usually hear when a car is behind me. You hear brakes as they approach, downshifts, turbo whistle, gravel under their tyres, sometimes hear their music...all kinds of sounds. I don't understand how shutting off your hearing can possibly "improve your awareness". When I'm out cycling and overtaking "keen cyclists" who are wearing earphones I curse them for not hearing me behind them. Those without earphones will hear my excessively loud shifter clicks and keep in. I almost smashed straight into a girl at speed down Cheddar Gorge because she suddenly veered out to the central white line. She did this over and over again. When I eventually passed her on a straight section I could see the earphones :x

I'm with chapeau. Good luck to anyone wishing to survive on a bicycle if you can't even hear what's happening around you.

OP - There are idiots in every walk of life. Lycra seems to breed quite a few of them unfortunately!
Each too there own, I assume you have tried headphones while out riding

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am

Kierandc5 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 amEach too there own, I assume you have tried headphones while out riding
Before I had a bike computer with nav I rode a couple of times using Google Maps and earphones. I immediately felt at risk because I couldn't hear what was happening around me. The best I could do was ride with only the left earphone in my ear, but even that was dangerous enough to make me spend hundreds of pounds on a computer with nav.
Previous:

<My name is James>

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am

wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am
Kierandc5 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 amEach too there own, I assume you have tried headphones while out riding
Before I had a bike computer with nav I rode a couple of times using Google Maps and earphones. I immediately felt at risk because I couldn't hear what was happening around me. The best I could do was ride with only the left earphone in my ear, but even that was dangerous enough to make me spend hundreds of pounds on a computer with nav.
I must try going out for a drive blindfolded to see if it increases my sense of awareness :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:39 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am
wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am
I must try going out for a drive blindfolded to see if it increases my sense of awareness :roll:
Rob
Go full Tommy and you'll probably win the Tour de France....
Tommy-DeafDumbBlind.jpg
Tommy-DeafDumbBlind.jpg (82.35 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Keet

Post by Keet » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am
Rob
Use the force young Skywalker :ninja:
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 amI must try going out for a drive blindfolded to see if it increases my sense of awareness :roll:
Rob
You could be onto something there! :wink:
Previous:

<My name is James>

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Actually I think it's already being trialled extensively - by tw*ts texting! :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black