Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bloody Death-Wish Cyclists....

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:36 pm

[rant]

...why the f#&% do they do it...?

on my way to collect Cindy from work today, I was driving the X3 down a fairly narrow, but short, one-way road - cars parked on the right and a cycle lane on the left so there wasn't a huge amount of lane space.

There was a (?30-ish?) man on a pushbike in the cycle lane and, as it wasn't possible to give a reasonable amount of space in going past him and it wasn't far to the next junction, I slowed right down and followed at his pace about 15 feet behind (as you do...). All of a sudden he veered into the middle of the road and stopped dead facing about 45 degrees away from me - there was no turning or driveway there and he didn't look behind or give any sort of indication that he was going to do this.

I stamped on the brakes and stopped before I hit him - then dropped the window and asked, rather politely given the circumstances, 'What the f*ck he though he was doing?' but got no response, he appeared to be looking at something on the other side of the road and didn't even turn his head towards me, so I blipped the horn. He turned and looked at me, reached up, removed his earbuds and said 'Oh, didn't see you there', he obviously hadn't heard the car following him, or me shouting at him, because he was too busy listening to his tunez

I can't believe that cyclists complain about being vulnerable on the roads and then effectively disconnect one of their senses by blocking all external sounds...

I'm tempted to say it's 'Evolution in Action' but that wouldn't have made me feel any better (or paid for the damage to the car) if I'd been moving a bit faster and hit the tosser...

Grrrrr....!!!!

[/rant]
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:42 pm

And if you'd run into him I guarantee it would have been all your fault :roll:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 pm

He would have made a terrible mess under your car, would have taken several visits to the jet wash! :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Is it not illegal to wear headphones covering both of your ears in a car?
If it is then should it not be illegal to do it on a pushie as well?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 pm

I am a 30 something avid cyclist, i would never ever consider riding in headphones. It beggars belief that someone would do that to compromise their own safety although I do see it from time to time, i would say it was less likely to happen with a commited cyclist and more likely with someone just using a bike to get around.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Keet

Post by Keet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 pm

I don't think it's illegal, but definitely not good practice from a self preservation point of view!
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Darwinism in action! You were entitled to be angry at him imo.
I'm also a v keen cyclist, however over here in holland we all benefit from physical separation of motorists and cyclists by having dedicated bike lanes with a concrete or grass verge as the separation medium. Covers about 80%of all roads here!
Cant imagine the same system being implemented in the UK due to local govt beurocracy but if the Dutch can do it.....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Add to that motor cyclists who are a law unto themselves. On the way home from Lincoln this afternoon on the A15 where there have been lots of accidents. One passed us on a blind bend with a dip. Of course there was a car coming the other way. How there wasn’t an accident I’ll never know. There was no more than paint thickness between the biker and the cars. We have a real problem with theses twerps who come to ‘enjoy’ Lincolnshire’s roads but think they don’t need to abode by the speed limits nor the rules of the roads.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 pm

As a teenager I wore headphones once on my bike. That was probably 30 years ago. Never done it since, didn’t feel fully in control.

Should be illegal for cyclists and car drivers

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 pm

There is no specific law against using earphones/headphones whilst driving, apart from the driving without due care and attention catch all clause. The highway code, rule 148, states that drivers should avoid distractions such as loud music etcetera, but this is a guideline and not a rule.

I use them on the motorway when the tops down, however they are not sound isolating so I can still hear other things. The point with cyclists and for that matter pedestrians, is that when wearing headphones/earphones extra care must be taken, my biggest concern is the numpty's who walk and text at the same time
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 am

IRD wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm Add to that motor cyclists who are a law unto themselves. On the way home from Lincoln this afternoon on the A15 where there have been lots of accidents. One passed us on a blind bend with a dip. Of course there was a car coming the other way. How there wasn’t an accident I’ll never know. There was no more than paint thickness between the biker and the cars. We have a real problem with theses twerps who come to ‘enjoy’ Lincolnshire’s roads but think they don’t need to abode by the speed limits nor the rules of the roads.
You can’t generalise like that, I’ve seen far more dangerous driving from idiots in cars who think it’s ok to phone/txt whilst swerving all over the road.
Bikers are usually far more aware on the roads because the consequences are far higher for them if they’re not.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am

What really annoys me are the people who have 'Child on board!' signs on their car back windows and then drive like absolute plums! :x

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 am

Everyone annoys me :D
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 am

Zed Baron wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am What really annoys me are the people who have 'Child on board!' signs on their car back windows and then drive like absolute plums! :x
I always treat them as warnings of unpredictable behaviour... they only have them 'cos nobody seems to make 'Twát at wheel' signs... :evil:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

IRD

Post by IRD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 am
IRD wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm Add to that motor cyclists who are a law unto themselves. On the way home from Lincoln this afternoon on the A15 where there have been lots of accidents. One passed us on a blind bend with a dip. Of course there was a car coming the other way. How there wasn’t an accident I’ll never know. There was no more than paint thickness between the biker and the cars. We have a real problem with theses twerps who come to ‘enjoy’ Lincolnshire’s roads but think they don’t need to abode by the speed limits nor the rules of the roads.
You can’t generalise like that, I’ve seen far more dangerous driving from idiots in cars who think it’s ok to phone/txt whilst swerving all over the road.
Bikers are usually far more aware on the roads because the consequences are far higher for them if they’re not.
Rob
I am not saying that all motor cyclists are riding dangerously but my experience in Lincolnshire on the roads I travel has not not been good. We quite regularly see motor cyclists riding irresponsibly usually far too quickly for the conditions. The sensible ones no doubt remember their own vulnerability but quite a few do take risks and if you look at the statistics for Lincolnshire there are a lot of accidents involving motor cyclists. No doubt motorists and wagon drivers need to shoulder a fair share of the blame too. We live not too far from Caldwell Park and when there are motor cycling events there is a significant increase in the number of motor cyclists in the area. The majority ride sensibly but some seem to get caught up in the excitement of the day and again I have seen some really dangerous riding. I used to have a motor cycle in my youth ( a Triumph Tiger Cub ) and no doubt did some silly things. Now we’ll into my second childhood I know a little better and I don’t want to be involved in an accident or see someone hurt.