Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Powerflex Lollipop Fitting

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Can't for the life of me get the inner bush far enough up the arm... Any ideas? The arms are MEYLE HD, I'm about half the width of the bolt holes out and have tried hitting it a lot.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Hitting doesn't do much as the bush absorbs a lot of the force and rebounds...

...don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs so I'm assuming you've tried washing-up liquid (plus few drips of water) as a lubricant?
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:03 pm

It made me feel better!!

Yes, tried washing up liquid. I think the metal ring is actually digging into the arm. I tried filing down a bit but still no joy.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 pm

If the metal is actually digging in, it sounds like a sizing/incorrect part issue

Alternatively, assuming it should fit, you could try something like a ratchet strap as the constant tension never gives the bush a chance to rebound...
Alpina Roadster S #320

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 pm

It's the PFF5-5601G - offset aluminium outer with the poly insert. The only thing I can think is the Meyle HD arms are thicker?

Ratchet isn't a bad shout, may try that tomorrow as I'd prefer to not have to buy the proper tool (if it's even available)...

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 pm

I knew I remembered something about someone having a similar issue and using a ratchet strap to get the lollypops on

Look at this thread - Ian (sk93) used a ratchet strap to get one lollypop on (the other fitted without issue)
Near the bottom of page 3, sk93 wrote: ...
ratchet strap did the job perfectly - went on even easier than the first side if i'm honest!

simply hook both ends of the strap to the gaps in the control arm, take up the slack, then align the lolipop by hand.
push the lolipop on with one hand, then use your other hand to operate the ratchet, using it to take up the slack and stopping it from popping back off.
once you've pushed it as far as you can by hand, tighten the ratchet slowly until there's some tension, then give the lolipop a tap with the rubber mallet, and bingo!
Alpina Roadster S #320

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Though I am a little worried, as they poly should just slip on. It does, just not quite far enough :(

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am

Sandwich it between 2 bits of wood and use spring compressors
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.