Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best code reader

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi
Whats the best code reader available
Ive got the engjne management light on in yellow and need to diagnose the isue
Thanks
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am

"Best" is a concept only the user can quantify, but for code reading I use Carly for BMW. Does a fairly decent job and as I have the "proper" adaptor it reads from ALL available ECU's and not just some like my (otherwise perfectly good and spot-on) generic adaptor.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Best code reader

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Best codereader is ista d/ ista p. Period.
Thats bmw dealer software, so you get all the info.
Works fine with a £8 kkl/dcan inpa cable

Carly is useless as a codereader
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

GuidoK wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm Best codereader is ista d/ ista p. Period.

Hence my comment...
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am "Best" is a concept only the user can quantify....
Carly is a user friendly application where as ISTA you need to learn.
I'm not saying anything bad about ISTA, it's a great program (obviously) but not everyone can use it or even should try.
It's like coding, yes Carly can code certain things, but NCSExpert is far superior but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
Dave

TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Ive gone for the android carly
Awaiting delivery so hope it does what i need...let me know what to do to clear the engine warning light!
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Best code reader

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am
Hence my comment...
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am "Best" is a concept only the user can quantify....
I'm not saying anything bad about ISTA, it's a great program (obviously) but not everyone can use it or even should try.
Carly produces codes in a format that most of the time has no meaning and searching on them is useless.
Anything more than the usual problems and you're stuck with carly. No person that does real diagnostics uses carly. Its a toy. Nice for coding your window buttons and whatnot but useless for real diagnostics. Its a layman's tool and no better than a 2 pound costing obd2 reader + a free version of torque.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 am

GuidoK wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am
Hence my comment...
Carly produces codes in a format that most of the time has no meaning and searching on them is useless.
Anything more than the usual problems and you're stuck with carly. No person that does real diagnostics uses carly. Its a toy. Nice for coding your window buttons and whatnot but useless for real diagnostics. Its a layman's tool and no better than a 2 pound costing obd2 reader + a free version of torque.
Have you actually used Torque on an e89? It's utter crap, it doesn't show half the faults.
Don't forget, just because YOU know how to use ISTA doesn't mean it's easy to use, BMW technicians are trained, you've learnt but it's not for everybody.
Like I've already said it's not for everybody, I'm also not knocking it as its a very good program. But as I stated in the first place its entirely down to the end user as to what is best for them, its not about "well I know how to do it, why don't you" everyone is at different levels.

Oh and by the way, I've learnt how to use ISTA since I've owned Carly but that's not the point as I wouldn't recommend it without know the abilities of the other person, after all its not like there is a manual for it.
Dave

R.E92

Best code reader

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

Carly is miles better than Torque but still junk. I can't get over how much people are willing to pay for such a poor app.

TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Just an update
Plugged in the carly module and found that my lamda sensors to be the prob so all sorted now
Easy piece if kit to use and it also flagged up a few more minor issues
Happy bunny
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

ZedConvert

Best code reader

Post by ZedConvert » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 am

Anyone near West London with a Carly? Willing to travel a little, and pay for your time :driving:

warmasice

Best code reader

Post by warmasice » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 am

GuidoK wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm Best codereader is ista d/ ista p. Period.

This

AveZ4coop

Best code reader

Post by AveZ4coop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am "Best" is a concept only the user can quantify, but for code reading I use Carly for BMW. Does a fairly decent job and as I have the "proper" adaptor it reads from ALL available ECU's and not just some like my (otherwise perfectly good and spot-on) generic adaptor.
I think in this case AnubiZed was correct. The OP used Carly to solve the problem he had. "Horses for courses" :poke:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Keet

Best code reader

Post by Keet » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:08 pm

I agree that the "best" is dependent on your needs and abilities. Carly is ok as people have said if you just want to be nosey and 'tinker' with the odd setting. No doubt you can do some damage with it if you're not careful but from my limited experience it's reasonably straight forward to use.

Obviously BMW use something far more detailed and complex which requires some training. I wouldn't like to think that I was paying BMW prices for dealer technician to use Carly.

I suppose it's like using MS Paint or Photoshop to edit photos on your computer. Both can do similar things but they're world's apart!
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Best code reader

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Best may also be dependent on price....
Carly adapter (android) €53,90
Carly full app: €55/year

BMW INPA/NCS/etc adapter: €11

So the first one is 10 times as expensive, has an annual fee and can only do a fraction of bmw's original software.
I guess knowing your stuff pays off.
I guess its indeed comparing MS paint to Photoshop except paying 10 fold for MS Paint :lol:

Nick9one1

Best code reader

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:11 pm

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C110-Scanner ... SwphNa1aEa

Pretty good for the price. It can read all specific bmw codes like Carly, but is a plug and play so tends to be what I reach for over inpa/ista-d or Carly.

Also small enough to store in the glovebox.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving: