Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlamps work but don’t

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Suzukijohn

Headlamps work but don’t

Post by Suzukijohn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 am

New to the forum...hope someone can point me in the right direction. The vehicle I just bought is a 2003 Z4 with a 2.5 engine. To begin with someone has replaced the stock headlights with I think Spider headlamps with the halo rings. Here is what is happening...turn on the light switch and the parking lamps light up but not the inner or outer bulbs. Also the halos all come on...all four...so somehow I am getting power to them. But I can pull the lever on the steering column back and the high beams will both come on! So they ARE getting power somehow....just not normally. The low beams (inner lamps) don’t come on no matter what. Any idea where I can start?

Crazy Harry

Headlamps work but don’t

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 am

Hi and welcome.

In short not a clue but if it were mine I'd start by searching the forum (tab in function bar top left of page) and reading the threads about headlight problems. At least that way you'll get an idea of how they work or if this was a common mod a few years ago.

I'd also consider if I should go back to stock given the changes in MOT requirements. This may be an opportune moment but members with light upgrades who have had their cars tested in the last month will nodoubt advise. Won't be long before a member who has a good working knowledge of this happens along.

While your waiting why not post a pic of your car in the newbie section with an intro - we like that sort of thing here :thumbsup:

Suzukijohn

Headlamps work but don’t

Post by Suzukijohn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks...I did the usual searches of threads...lots of light stay on but couldn’t find thread on no lights...I’m in the western part of the USA so no worries about not meeting any codes. Plus, even used original lamp assemblies are costly compared to just a wiring issue. If that’s what it turns out to be. Before I started working on it the low beams worked fine but only the left high beam worked...now nothing works so I’m obviously not feeling as confident as when I started ...