Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam recommendations?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Following the advice here I intensified my search and starting with the 0906 a couple of dashcams forums (yes, there is such a thing!) suggested the chipset in the A119S (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HN0HBFG) is the most up to date there is (at least from the "China" market) - I decided in the end not to have a rear facing camera (I could always change my mind on that at a later date).

So I took the plunge and bought the one listed in the link above - this has the GPS mount, which means you get speed and location (as well as self-adjusting time) stamped on the video too - it also has quite hi-res (1440p HD) setting - although I am operating at a slightly smaller resolution in order to save on file size.

I also bought this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1) mini hardwire and Fuse kit to allow me to stealthily install the camera behind the rear view mirror - I really don't like the big bulky cameras and the wedge shape of this unit helps make the fit quite "sleek". I wired it up - to a permanently live spare fuse slot (for now) - and using the movement detection/ parking modest will "wake up" and record when there is movement in front of the camera when parked up - when driving normally it just records on a loop as normal.

Now I know that the wisdom is that there is a risk of discharging the battery by staying permanently "on" - certainly I would unplug it if I left the car for a week or so in an airport car park (or at home under its cover) - I just wanted to see what it was capable of at the moment. (I currently have my battery jump starter in the boot with me in case it does decide to flatten the battery! :D) I will probably end up putting a hidden switch somewhere allowing me to switch the camera off when I wish - thus having the best of both worlds.

I've only driven with it a bit, the quality of the video is very good (and that is not at its highest res) - I took photos when installing and will happily post up how I did it if any one was interested .... it only took me 3 weeks from buying the car to pulling bits of trim off the car fitting a "mod" - didn't take me long :D

In the meantime - here are two pictures of the camera fitted - the lens of the camera is adjustable side to side as well as up and down - this allows me to compensate for the fact that the camera is mounted on the right hand side of the rear view mirror.
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG (299.67 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
IMG_1998.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG (329.69 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Cheers

Christopher
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Should mount it on black vinyl to hide the sticky pad.
Attachments
6BFABE8E-6982-4B07-A601-903447313884.jpeg
6BFABE8E-6982-4B07-A601-903447313884.jpeg (178.45 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
3E157038-7751-45C5-94D9-6C16840388B2.jpeg
3E157038-7751-45C5-94D9-6C16840388B2.jpeg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:38 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:29 pm Should mount it on black vinyl to hide the sticky pad.
You mean stick vinyl to the screen and then stick the mount to that?

Good idea :)

I'll need another sticky pad though :)

Cheers

Christopher
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Or a black sticky pad will also work
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Yeah.

I made a template with paper to get it to look like an extension of the black bit that is already there, then sprayed the glass with water and washing up liquid so the vinyl would slide into position, then squeezy the water out and leave a few days to dry completely.

Its a bit fiddly to get rid of air bubbles, and took a few attempts....which is where the template comes in.

Then stick the camera mount to it (need to make sure you line it up properly so the lens just pokes out the bottom but doesn’t get blocked by the vinyl).

I put mine on the left of the rear view mirror as the memory card is on the left.

I got the idea from dashcamtalk after asking how to get a black section with no bubbles...someone suggested this - similar to window tint but solid black.

A black sticky pad would be much better than a white one as its not so obvious as a white one....and much less hassle than mine but doesnt blend in as well imho. Would be quicker also, took me ages!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello. Can I ask how you are getting on with the Mini 0906 please since you have had it a while please?

Saw your post and am interested although I think I may just plug into the lighter socket and try and hide the wiring?

Thank you

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 am Glad I could be of assistance, more than happy to be able to help.
Any questions please ask away and I'll see what i can do.

One thing I will say though is DO NOT buy cheap, at the end of the day your dashcam is there to protect your no claims and if it's of poor quality and you can't read the number plate in a hit-n-run then you might as well not even have one.
I watch them on YouTube (yes I know, I have no life!! :P ) and the amount of really poor quality is astounding, but then there are some really nice clear quality ones out there without spending a small fortune. Saying that, for the money and quality, I don't think you can go far wrong with the 0906 Mini.
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm Hello. Can I ask how you are getting on with the Mini 0906 please since you have had it a while please?

Saw your post and am interested although I think I may just plug into the lighter socket and try and hide the wiring?

Thank you

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 am Glad I could be of assistance, more than happy to be able to help.
Any questions please ask away and I'll see what i can do.

One thing I will say though is DO NOT buy cheap, at the end of the day your dashcam is there to protect your no claims and if it's of poor quality and you can't read the number plate in a hit-n-run then you might as well not even have one.
I watch them on YouTube (yes I know, I have no life!! :P ) and the amount of really poor quality is astounding, but then there are some really nice clear quality ones out there without spending a small fortune. Saying that, for the money and quality, I don't think you can go far wrong with the 0906 Mini.
Yeah loving it, nice and easy to use, it's really plug-n-leave.
Nothing wrong with using the lighter socket, mine is hard-wired with the Parking Guard as well so that's where you do need it to be wired into the fuse box.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Great thanks

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

On Dave’s recommendation I fitted the 0906 to my E89 3.5is. It works really well and I’m pleased with it. I also installed one in our 330d Touring. The cameras work well enough but the rear camera interferes with DAB radio signal and despite my best efforts and consultations with an auto electrician I have been unable to resolve the problem. So the only station we can get is Radio 2. I understand that the problem relates to the proximity of the shark fin aerial to the rear camera. But I have little technical knowledge and expertise so have to rely on the word of others.

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 pm

You can buy ferrels that wrap around the cable to help prevent signal disruption I believe.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you both .
I like the idea of the parking guard but realise it will need a permanent feed so I many look into that, along with a kill switch for extended periods of time

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Beeacon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 pm You can buy ferrels that wrap around the cable to help prevent signal disruption I believe.
Thanks for the info. But I have tried them with no improvement. Someone suggested wrapping foil around the cable near the rear camera but that didn’t work either. I took ithe car into a auto electrician in Lincoln and they couldn’t sort it either. I understand the only way to improve things is to move the camera further away from the aerial but then it is difficult to locate in a suitable place. The car is being traded for a new one next month so until then it’s Radio 2. However, as I said there are no problems with the cameras in Z4 where it works really well and doesn’t affect the FM radio reception at all. :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 am

Hi guys, is there any up to date recommendation for an E89 dashcam or is the mini0906 still state of the art?
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:09 am

Robbie, A lot of people now favour the Viofo A129 front and rear 1080p camera at 30fps, or just front at 60fps. It's a pretty discreet camera and the video quality is good. Though the cameras are getting better quality all of the time.

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 am

I have a nextbase 522GW with a plug in rear view module. The quality of the camera is very good, image quality front and rear is excellent at 1080p. The camera comes with a choice of two modules that simply plug into the side so no messing about with clumsy wiring.
Only downside is the app that comes with it, i struggle with it.

Would I recommend it, yes. Would I buy it again, no I would get the upgraded 4k model.

Whatever you choose buy the biggest memory card you can get especially if you have front and rear view...

Great prices and excellent fitting services at Halfords
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather