Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stopping water marks on sapphire black?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Crystal Detail

Re: Stopping water marks on sapphire black?

Post by Crystal Detail » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

the problem is well especially in reading, is that the water is so hard.

I've found a decent shampoo makes all the difference too and the best I've used to date is Duragloss 901 doesn't leave any streaks or water marks and once the car has been washed I find using an open ended hose or water through a watering can sheets water off the car rather than letting it sit on flat panels.

then using a decent quick detailer like meguiars last touch or optimum instant detailer followed by a gentle buff with a flush microfibre should leave you without any watermarks.

this is all based on the cars paintwork being properly prepped and protected with a wax or sealant.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Stopping water marks on sapphire black?

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:30 pm

x2 on sheeting the water off saves so much time i can dry the whole in minutes with one drying towel and as said above a well prepped car is so easy to clean.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 pm

tried the duragloss 901 shampoo today.
first impressions, very good.
leaves a nice finish as in no watermarks.
dried off with a microfiber towel.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

Another vote for rainwater here. Rinse car off with watering can (rose taken off) spray on some QD which disperses water a d it'll be practically dry already. Quick pat down with mf cloth and I'm done.

No sand or nasties because the tap is 6" above the invert which acts as a grit sump - like a roadside catchpit. I use the same water for flowers in vases and its as clear as tap water.

stupot1

Post by stupot1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am

Micro fibre cloths whilst the car is still wet
Buy in bulk from car shows or when on offer
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 am

An in-line scale reducer on you’re outside tap will help no end.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Old post I know but for anyone with a similar problem, spray the following onto a wet car GYEON Q²M WETCOAT rinse of and start drying. You won't have any watermarks, but you will have an extremely hydrophobic coating that will be as glossy and smooth as a good quality wax. £10 for 500ml. 'Tis quality stuff.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I use a DI vessel, one of these :

https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog ... tml#SID=29

I just rinse the car and walk away. Dries without watermarks even in direct summer sunlight. No physical drying, so no (additional) risk of swirls using microfibre cloths that could be old or grab dirt from panel gaps or bits you’ve missed. The sand does need replaced, depends how often you use it and age, I maybe change mine every 4/5 months but then I don’t wash the car every weekend. Bonus - you can also use it for washing / rinsing windows without the need to dry either.

You also need a TDS meter to measure how effective the sand is occasionally as it starts to leave spots at about 7-10 ppm, so that’s when to change it : https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog ... tml#SID=16

Finally one of these for refilling : https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog ... tml#SID=29

Refill sand bags, 25 litre so good for 3.5 fills, £70 : https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog ... tml#SID=29. Currently lasting me nearly a year.
Last edited by Bing on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

bony_13 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am Another vote for rainwater here. Rinse car off with watering can (rose taken off) spray on some QD which disperses water a d it'll be practically dry already. Quick pat down with mf cloth and I'm done.

No sand or nasties because the tap is 6" above the invert which acts as a grit sump - like a roadside catchpit. I use the same water for flowers in vases and its as clear as tap water.
+1 :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Thermaltake

Post by Thermaltake » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm

I use sonax brilliant shine detailer.

Lots of recommendations on detailing world about it. Classed as a quick detailer but actually acts like a wax. Since using it after every 2/3 washes, My car constantly beads and no water marks left behind.

I usually wash car. Run a hose over all the panels after tidying away pressure washer to drain water off the panel, Then drying towel. Seems perfect everytime. Every couple washes Il go round with sonax BSD and that keeps it going.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Thermaltake wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm I use sonax brilliant shine detailer.

Lots of recommendations on detailing world about it. Classed as a quick detailer but actually acts like a wax. Since using it after every 2/3 washes, My car constantly beads and no water marks left behind.

I usually wash car. Run a hose over all the panels after tidying away pressure washer to drain water off the panel, Then drying towel. Seems perfect everytime. Every couple washes Il go round with sonax BSD and that keeps it going.
Another +1 for Sonax BSD from me also. I've been using this for a couple of years now and it's by far the best quick detailer I've come across. Easy to use, deepy glossy shine and amazing water beading that lasts for weeks. I buy it in 5 litres and it works out much cheaper. Just seen it on EBay for £38.95 delivered :thumbsup:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2157123486
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Thermaltake

Post by Thermaltake » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:54 pm

I think 5litres might last to the end of time ha.

I was using the normal bottle and im not even half way through.

I use very little as its very sticky and hard to buff off if i use too much.

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 pm Old post I know but for anyone with a similar problem, spray the following onto a wet car GYEON Q²M WETCOAT rinse of and start drying. You won't have any watermarks, but you will have an extremely hydrophobic coating that will be as glossy and smooth as a good quality wax. £10 for 500ml. 'Tis quality stuff.
What he said, love the Gyeon stuff.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy