Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Touching up wheels

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
SpiketheBike

Touching up wheels

Post by SpiketheBike » Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am

Has anyone tried any of the alloy wheel touch up kits, for kerbing etc. If so, what results, and any recommendations please. Thanks
2011 Z4 SDrive 23i Highline pack. White with Coral Red leather, 18" 293s with RFTs & Pirellis. LED interior lights. Cree 80W Angel Eyes. Stubby

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Touching up wheels

Post by Smartbear » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

SpiketheBike wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am Has anyone tried any of the alloy wheel touch up kits, for kerbing etc. If so, what results, and any recommendations please. Thanks
Hi, I’ve had good results before using ladies nail varnish-felt a bit strange rifling through them to get a colour match though! :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Touching up wheels

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am
SpiketheBike wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am Has anyone tried any of the alloy wheel touch up kits, for kerbing etc. If so, what results, and any recommendations please. Thanks
Hi, I’ve had good results before using ladies nail varnish-felt a bit strange rifling through them to get a colour match though! :oops:
Rob
He is talking about his alloys Rob, :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Peterboroughdave

Touching up wheels

Post by Peterboroughdave » Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 pm

I have not had had any success using the touch up kits but did manage manage to get great results with localised sand, fill minor depressions with a " wheel filler" material from Halfords.

I took the wheel into Halfords and selected the best match silver from the many variations of similar car body silvers.

On advice of forum member I let the air out of the tires, inserted plastic coated player cards between wheel rim and tire then masked off the rest of the tire.

I locally sanded, filled and sanded before masking off and primer coats just to the damaged areas. Then removed masking and sanded the raised lip smooth with 1000g wet n dry. When cleaned with paint prep wipes I then covered the central area with a large towel to minimise overspray onto the centre of the wheel, several coats of silver blending out to the edge of the wheel followed by clear coat to the full area of the wheel.

After 3 days I used a cutting compound to smooth back the surface.

All very DIY put really happy with the result and afterwards could not see which 2 of the wheels I had worked on.

Dave

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Touching up wheels

Post by Smartbear » Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am
Rob
He is talking about his alloys Rob, :D
Oops, wrong forum :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold