Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Launch control

alvaro0000

Launch control

Post by alvaro0000 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi folks,

I haven't ever been able to use the launch control since I bought my car Z4 (e89) branch new 3 years ago. This is what I do:

1) drive for a while to warm-up. The manual says at least 6 miles but I have tried much more than that. The temperature is at 110 degrees, sometimes 120.

2) put the car is sport+ mode and manual first gear (M1 in the display).

3) push brakes and accelerate.

In theory in step 3 I should see a flag in the main display. But the engine actually tries to accelerates the car forward and the brakes make a painful sound because they are in being pushed by the engine! No flag on the screen. So I guess this is not expected at all.

I have taken the car to the dealer as it should be covered by the warranty, but they said they couldn't test it because it requires "race conditions" and they cannot do it in the public road (bullshit). They watched the logs dumped by the computer and they said everything seemed ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by markplant » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Found his on another forum

1- warm up the car for sometime, make sure you finished the test period ( new cars )
2- stop completely.
3- put the car in SPORT PLUS MODE
4- Push the gear to the left ( it will go in sport mode ) push it forward to go in manual mode ( make sure it says M1 in dashboard )
5- Depress fully the brake with your left foot.
6- Step fully on the accelerator with the right foot.

ok what will happen is that for a fraction of a second second it will feel like that brake is holding the car from moving but then it will sort of feel like it went in neutral and the RPM will go up to around 4K ( i assume this is when the car knows you want to do a launch control ) and you will see a checkered Flag on the dashboard. thats when you let go of the brakes and keep your foot to the floor..

Try at you peril
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by Maniac » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 pm

E4A563FD-AA74-4EBD-9526-6CCF9047C712.png
E4A563FD-AA74-4EBD-9526-6CCF9047C712.png (269.08 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Launch control

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Just fit an LSD and use the pedals. :wink:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by ronk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:41 pm Just fit an LSD and use the pedals. :wink:
I’ve got to say that the launch control I something else - as a passenger it feels bloody scary ,,,:!

A pal took me for a demonstration in a 330 xd and it was impressive to say the least - just one relentless push - just like your holiday 737 - but as an old engineer i have great sympathy for the transmissions and probably won’t do it in either of my cars!

The other problem is where do you try It ? You’ll be at driving ban speed in 10 seconds :D
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by mcbeee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:59 am

Try it an empty parking lot, be ready to stop, at least you will know it works and how to do it. You can do it at any stop sign or red light.( If you want to look like a complete dork, ). It does work in second gear as well BTW.
My 400hp E89 worked very well, didn’t try it too often coz it has to be hard on a tranny.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Busterboo

Launch control

Post by Busterboo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:10 am

mcbeee wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:59 am Try it an empty parking lot ...
Correction: American parking lot. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

step_change

Launch control

Post by step_change » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:23 am

Why thrash your car like that? It can't do it much good if you ask me. But then I'm an old fart who should be put out to pasture.....
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

mcbutler

Launch control

Post by mcbutler » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am

Also worth knowing that over 100mph several police forces will confiscate your vehicle PERMANENTLY.... And arrest you.............. I was stopped at 145 in my C63 at 03:00 on the A35 Tolpuddle bypass, a great road. Police officer was really nice and let me off with a 95mph ticket (so I would get a fine but not qualify for the education course) because I confessed as soon as I got out of the car and apologised. He then told me what could have happened i.e. confiscation and arrest...... VERY LUCKY.....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by ronk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Sounds like they’ll add Castration to the list soon! :D

Confiscate the car, Fine, Points, Ban, Insurance Hike , Jail - not a lot left to bash you with!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

step_change

Launch control

Post by step_change » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am Also worth knowing that over 100mph several police forces will confiscate your vehicle PERMANENTLY.... And arrest you.............. I was stopped at 145 in my C63 at 03:00 on the A35 Tolpuddle bypass, a great road. Police officer was really nice and let me off with a 95mph ticket (so I would get a fine but not qualify for the education course) because I confessed as soon as I got out of the car and apologised. He then told me what could have happened i.e. confiscation and arrest...... VERY LUCKY.....
I am amazed you got away with that as likely as that.

I got caught on the A1 north of Paris heading to the South of France doing 230kph (about 144mph) in my M3 in 2007. The roads are (or were then) superb and smooth as glass. The gendarmerie were not at all amused at this Rosbeuf driving like a maniac in their country and my picture of Zinadine Zidane (I kept in the glove box in case I was pulled over) cut no ice whatsoever. I was arrested, my car impounded immediately and I was fined 3500 Euros and narrowly escaped a one month prison sentence. I was banned from driving in France for two years and it cost me almost £1400 to get the car back in fees and getting my sister over to drive it back to the UK for me. DVLA sent me a letter saying they had been in touch with the French police about this incident but took no further action.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Pbondar

Launch control

Post by Pbondar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:39 pm

step_change wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am Also worth knowing that over 100mph several police forces will confiscate your vehicle PERMANENTLY.... And arrest you.............. I was stopped at 145 in my C63 at 03:00 on the A35 Tolpuddle bypass, a great road. Police officer was really nice and let me off with a 95mph ticket (so I would get a fine but not qualify for the education course) because I confessed as soon as I got out of the car and apologised. He then told me what could have happened i.e. confiscation and arrest...... VERY LUCKY.....

I got caught on the A1 north of Paris heading to the South of France doing 230kph (about 144mph) in my M3 in 2007. The roads are (or were then) superb and smooth as glass. The gendarmerie were not at all amused at this Rosbeuf driving like a maniac in their country and my picture of Zinadine Zidane (I kept in the glove box in case I was pulled over) cut no ice whatsoever. I was arrested, my car impounded immediately and I was fined 3500 Euros and narrowly escaped a one month prison sentence. I was banned from driving in France for two years and it cost me almost £1400 to get the car back in fees and getting my sister over to drive it back to the UK for me. DVLA sent me a letter saying they had been in touch with the French police about this incident but took no further action.
As they say “holy s**t”...

Gone are the good days of racing the TGV to the south then...-;)

mcbutler

Launch control

Post by mcbutler » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 pm

step_change wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 pm

I travelled to France about a month after the event, we did Nice, Monaco, Cannes etc etc. I familiarised myself with the French road regulations before I left and it was very apparent that they have a zero tolerance attitude. Mind you it did not stop me thrashing a GTR out of the toll road gate coming out of the tunnels near Monaco, as I hurled down the four lane road a large sign above the road illuminated and flashed my registration and a warning to slow down, still sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Did you know they hide small speed cameras in the concrete walls on the centre reservations of the toll roads? You cannot see them, they are chamfered in, very sneaky. Damn Frenchies :D
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Launch control

Post by mcbeee » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:10 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:10 am
Sorry, that would be a Canadian parking lot... :roll:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Busterboo

Launch control

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 am

mcbeee wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:10 am
Busterboo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:10 am
Sorry, that would be a Canadian parking lot... :roll:
:oops:
Vidi, vici, veni