Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying advice (house)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
raymond.harper

Buying advice (house)

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm

When buying a house always consider having to sell it later. So do not rush into things. Avoid anything on or near a main road or anything in a flood plane that will affect you selling it easily. And finally if you have a mortgage it is up to the surveyor to determine the value not the estate agent. Could well be your offer of 415 is accepted and everyone measures for curtains and carpets. Then the survey values it at 400. You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.

JimsZ

Buying advice (house)

Post by JimsZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 pm

You’d get the elbow from my chain as soon as you start playing games. 4th move and it’s all about integrity to me.
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm When buying a house always consider having to sell it later. So do not rush into things. Avoid anything on or near a main road or anything in a flood plane that will affect you selling it easily. And finally if you have a mortgage it is up to the surveyor to determine the value not the estate agent. Could well be your offer of 415 is accepted and everyone measures for curtains and carpets. Then the survey values it at 400. You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.
That’s an real, low down scumbag move :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jaw

Buying advice (house)

Post by Jaw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm
raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm When buying a house always consider having to sell it later. So do not rush into things. Avoid anything on or near a main road or anything in a flood plane that will affect you selling it easily. And finally if you have a mortgage it is up to the surveyor to determine the value not the estate agent. Could well be your offer of 415 is accepted and everyone measures for curtains and carpets. Then the survey values it at 400. You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.
Rob
Sort of have to agree with that, screwing someone over for 85 quid a month on a mortgage. If someone's happy to agree a price then a survey shouldn't really change that, it's no different to people who come and view a car I'm selling, make an offer then google it and find some similar ones cheaper and want to haggle after the fact. Some reasons why offers should be binding.

That said, I know of someone who played silly buggers with a guy selling a house, a couple of months (and a decent mouse problem) later he found a load of rotten meat in the attic :rofl:
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Woots » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 am

Oh god I bet you could totally ruin someone’s living experience! You’d just tell the neighbours something bad and you’d be hated in the community haha!
Thanks for all the advice tho guys...find out today what their thoughts are on the offer. Least I feel better knowing they might not be terribly offended by the initial amount!
Lotus Exige 350

philbo909

Buying advice (house)

Post by philbo909 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 am

This is why the law should change, the fact that you can pull out of the contract out til the day of the move allows for scumbags like this
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Crazy Harry

Buying advice (house)

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am

philbo909 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 am
This is why the law should change, the fact that you can pull out of the contract out til the day of the move allows for scumbags like this
Do you remember the days when you had to put 10% down on exchange of contracts and paid the balance on completion? At some point we started to exchange contracts and complete on the same day (no doubt so sellers could make the most out of the gazumping trend) and it all started to get a bit twitchy in moving chains. When mine goes up for sale you exchange with non refundable deposit in advance or 'jog on!'

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by DPG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am

raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.
Can happen the other way round too.

My borther in law agreed a price, everything was going to plan until his solicitor phoned up saying that they need to increase their offer by 15k as another offer had been submitted by someone who viewed the house when it was originally on the market.

This was over 4 weeks after the offer was accepted. They had gone that far that they had no option to pay the extra but it meant re-negotiating the mortgage.

The law needs to change in this country to stop this type of thing from happening.

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Woots » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

DPG wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am
raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.
Can happen the other way round too.

My borther in law agreed a price, everything was going to plan until his solicitor phoned up saying that they need to increase their offer by 15k as another offer had been submitted by someone who viewed the house when it was originally on the market.

This was over 4 weeks after the offer was accepted. They had gone that far that they had no option to pay the extra but it meant re-negotiating the mortgage.

The law needs to change in this country to stop this type of thing from happening.
That is dreadful and such bad faith! Didn’t know this sort of thing happened :o
Lotus Exige 350

philbo909

Buying advice (house)

Post by philbo909 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am
philbo909 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 am
Do you remember the days when you had to put 10% down on exchange of contracts and paid the balance on completion? At some point we started to exchange contracts and complete on the same day (no doubt so sellers could make the most out of the gazumping trend) and it all started to get a bit twitchy in moving chains. When mine goes up for sale you exchange with non refundable deposit in advance or 'jog on!'
I'm too young to remember this, but Scotland and the continent do deposits, definitely the way forward
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

woozzle

Buying advice (house)

Post by woozzle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm
Rob
Yeah second that. scumbag putting it mildly :x

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by original guvnor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

If anyone tried that on with me I would refuse to sell them the house at any price, even if they subsequently had a change of heart and offered me the full asking price or more. I've got no time for pricks like that.

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Woots » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am

Reading about it it looks like it’s a known thing for sellers to do too!
‘Oh my friend has made an offer higher etc’
You’d just wish them good luck and move on I guess!
Lotus Exige 350

Crazy Harry

Buying advice (house)

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:33 am

Woots wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am Reading about it it looks like it’s a known thing for sellers to do too!
‘Oh my friend has made an offer higher etc’
You’d just wish them good luck and move on I guess!
That's what I mean about not being in for it heart and soul! As soon as you "have to have it" the seller has all the control and you'd better have deep pockets. One guy I worked for always said "never buy anything you can't walk away from" he had a reputation for driving hard bargains but I do wonder if it made him indifferent to his dream house or car

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Woots » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 am

So the vendor has responded;
I have now heard back from our vendor and she has thanked you for your offer and would love to sell her property to you, especially because of your position, but she if looking for an offer closer to the asking price.

So now we’d like to offer more but should we say we’d be willing to offer 405 and think that’s fair given the work needed to modernise the energy rating.
Or just offer 405
Lotus Exige 350