Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 35i DCT position P issue

m123

Post by m123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Hello,

I'm a new member on the site. I purchased a used 2009 BMW Z4 35i with a DCT gearbox nearly two years ago. A few weeks ago, I experienced a fault with the transmission position P. I parked the car as normal by selecting P on the gear lever and applying the electronic handbrake. When I went back to the car 6 hours later, I received a number of messages on the Idrive. The main problem seemed to be that the position P was not available. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZPZqmW5WN0 for a video of the fault.

As per the video, the position P indication on the gearlever was not illuminated and I could not select D, N or R. The engine would start but I could not drive as I could not select a gear. I turned the car on and off a few times and somehow the gearlever indicated P allowed me to change gear and drive away.

This problem occurs intermittently but nearly every other time I go to start the car. Sometimes it can take numerous attemps of restarting the car and up to 15 minutes for the gearlever to indicate P (on a petrol station forecourt!). I have found another way of being able to select a gear is to manually override the gearbox and to put it into N (using allen key and socket under gearlever trim). I can then re-engage P, select D and then drive away.

The gearbox remains in P even when it is not indicated on the gearlever as I have removed the handbrake on an incline without the car rolling away.

Any help, experience or recommendations of garages for repairs would be highly appreciated.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 am

For garage recommendations you may want to add your location
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Have a chat with these guys
http://reconditioned-gearbox.co.uk
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

m123

Post by m123 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm in the North West of England, near Preston.

Londonz487

Post by Londonz487 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 am

Hello I am new to the site and have the exact same problem but the car won’t even start. Does anyone know why it has done this? It was fine one day and not the next. Now it doesn’t start at all. I have jumped it and charged the battery but still nothing. Please help I don’t know what to do! I can’t take it somewhere to be looked at as it won’t start and I don’t trust a random google search to find me someone who isn’t going to charge a fortune especially if it is something so minor. PLEASE HELP!