Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Custom gear knob

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
C8H18

Custom CNC machined stainless steel Gear Knob

Post by C8H18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 pm
Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm so how do you know there is science behind the design of a gearknob?

Please only make statements that you can quantify or it looks like you are belittling the efforts of a skilled and knowledgable engineer with no credentials of your own.

On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!
"This shift knob is the result of extensive development, from its size and shape, to its weight. (Please scroll down).

CNC precision machined from Stainless Steel billet and fully optimised for an improved gear change. This is NOT the usual aftermarket gear knob - this is a fully engineered solution to improve your overall driving experience.

Weight

Weighing in at just over 500g, the stainless steel shift knob really does feel substantial. The "notchy" nature of the BMW gearboxes is significantly smoothed out with this weight through providing a greater pivot force, giving you an effortless and precise gear change every time. Prototyping revealed that with the shift knob too light - the notchiness would still be there, too heavy and gearchange would become laboured and sloppy. With the weight optimised, we have met both criteria - smooth and swift.

Size & Shape

The standard shift knob sits at an awkward height - for both ergonomic and aesthetic purposes. Our aim was to optimise the height for reduced throw and a more natural feel. Prototyping revealed that if it sat too low - users would grip the shifter with fingertips rather than the palm of the hand. This was more apparent with cars having centre arm-rests. Iteration resulted in an optimum height, correcting both aesthetic and ergonomic problems of the standard position. Furthermore, by merging a 2" sphere with a cone, every gear-change technique is accommodated for with an intuitive grip.

Short Shift Kits

This shift-knob is an ideal add-on to a factory or aftermarket short shift kit. Such kits increase the resistance during gearchange - amplifying the inherent notchiness but our shift knob allows you to have the benefits of your short shift kit without this extra resistance. "

Ahem.
This is more marketing embellishment than complex engineering. To say that this product is "optimised" for a variety of vehicles and a wide variety of users with different size hands and personal preferences just isn't really possible. I'm not knocking the product itself - I'm a big fan of my Stormwerks V1, but I wouldn't be suckered in to believing all their claims...
2006 silver / muddy 3.0si roadster manual

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 pm
Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm so how do you know there is science behind the design of a gearknob?

Please only make statements that you can quantify or it looks like you are belittling the efforts of a skilled and knowledgable engineer with no credentials of your own.

On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!
"This shift knob is the result of extensive development, from its size and shape, to its weight. (Please scroll down).

CNC precision machined from Stainless Steel billet and fully optimised for an improved gear change. This is NOT the usual aftermarket gear knob - this is a fully engineered solution to improve your overall driving experience.

Weight

Weighing in at just over 500g, the stainless steel shift knob really does feel substantial. The "notchy" nature of the BMW gearboxes is significantly smoothed out with this weight through providing a greater pivot force, giving you an effortless and precise gear change every time. Prototyping revealed that with the shift knob too light - the notchiness would still be there, too heavy and gearchange would become laboured and sloppy. With the weight optimised, we have met both criteria - smooth and swift.

Size & Shape

The standard shift knob sits at an awkward height - for both ergonomic and aesthetic purposes. Our aim was to optimise the height for reduced throw and a more natural feel. Prototyping revealed that if it sat too low - users would grip the shifter with fingertips rather than the palm of the hand. This was more apparent with cars having centre arm-rests. Iteration resulted in an optimum height, correcting both aesthetic and ergonomic problems of the standard position. Furthermore, by merging a 2" sphere with a cone, every gear-change technique is accommodated for with an intuitive grip.

Short Shift Kits

This shift-knob is an ideal add-on to a factory or aftermarket short shift kit. Such kits increase the resistance during gearchange - amplifying the inherent notchiness but our shift knob allows you to have the benefits of your short shift kit without this extra resistance. "

Ahem.
thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 pm On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!
Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:07 pm Maybe you could lay it next to a ruler and take a few photos.
I should be able to get plenty of info from that.
Ahem.
As a former nuclear and aerospace design engineer I have to admit to the left half of my mouth changing shape when I read Stormwerks rather flowery description of their 'extensively developed' gearknob. :lol:

I don't question that weight, size, shape and mounting position play an important part for the end-user and to that extent, simply trying a number of different sizes, shapes and possibly materials would help to determine a useable/marketable product.

But I doubt very much whether any destruction-testing, thermodynamic analysis, FMEA, FMECA, FEA, stress analyses or any other form of 'extensive development' methodology, as I would normally expect when I hear that description used, has played any part in this. I suggest the marketeers have had a chat with the design engineers at some point. 'Aye lads, what would sound good on our website if we wanted to market this as a precision-engineered bit of kit? Whatdya reckon?' :rofl: :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 pm

My point is that research and development has been undertaken rather than placing a ball on a stick. That was the question posed to me and I quantified it with an answer. Marketing speak aside, the point stands.

All I said was that simply copying a shape doesn't make it the equal in all aspects of the other, then Billy Big B*****ks wanted more information and I obliged.
Last edited by thanatu55 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C8H18

Post by C8H18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 pm My point is that research and development has been undertaken rather than placing a ball on a stick. That was the question posed to me and I quantified it with an answer. Marketing speak aside, the point stands.
Truly, not a great deal, albeit likely more than many. They admit to using iteration to achieve the result they wanted - an impressive sounding term which simply means trial and error.

Nice end product? Yes.

Complex, precision engineering? Not so much.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I made a comfy catbox last week. somewhere nice and warm that the visiting kittykat could chillax when he comes over to my gaff for a visit.
My research and development phase consisted of taking his physical measurements and seeing what material I could line it with that would keep him cosy and comfortable.
Admitted, not the most scientific r&d but still....it was a legitimate, well thought-out r&d exercise leading to an exceptionally well-received end-user product. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
IMG_20180322_114630.jpg
IMG_20180322_114630.jpg (241.75 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:59 pm

C8H18 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 pm My point is that research and development has been undertaken rather than placing a ball on a stick. That was the question posed to me and I quantified it with an answer. Marketing speak aside, the point stands.
Truly, not too much. They admit to using iteration to achieve the result they wanted - an impressive sounding term which simply means trial and error.

Nice end product? Yes.

Complex, precision engineering? Not so much.
Refer to my edited quote, the initial statement was that copying by eye doesn't make all things equal. Can this statement be proved by science?... yes. The spiel is irrelevant.

I was actually trying to be helpful by providing further information on a product that by it's manufacturers own admission is an attempt to replicate another.

Is this going to drag on all night? The boxing is on and my one statement is not worth all this p****ng about.

C8H18

Post by C8H18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:07 pm

Sorry, thanatu55 - I wasn't meaning to have a pop at you, more amusement at the hyperbole on the Stormwerks website. I can see that you were trying to help out a fellow forum member, and that's always a good thing.

Enjoy the boxing :thumbsup:

Buckley06

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 pm Not the most scientific approach but here you go :wink:

Depth:
Thank you for the pics mine is not to far out 50mm od 75mm long and 65 deep on the 14mm hole.
But I can do a quick shape change on Tuesday.

I will give it to my new friend chris_D and he will do some awesome rendering on it I'm sure.

You have all been helpful regardless of the science or jargon that stormweks has done.

This is a z4 only gear knob and one you can't get in the shop and has input from like minded z4 fans.

So as a matter of fact they are priceless as it's being made by people that care not to make overheads look good.

Please keep that in mind that you are buying a z4 custom gear knob not a replica of something from the USA.

Thank you for everyone's support I have enough people wanting one now so I will order the material on Tuesday.

Quoting the Beatles
Peace and love :D :thumbsup:
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 pm

Looks great!
Can't wait to receive mine.
Not sure if I want something engraved or just totally clear. I'll let u know.....
How do you want paying?

C8H18

Post by C8H18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Buckley06 - I've got some digital vernier calipers at home so can give you accurate dimensions for the Stormwerks V1 when I get back home next Tuesday if you like. I might measure the standard and ZHP knobs while I'm at it...

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 pm Quoting the Beatles
Peace and love
I think "Helter Skelter" is more appropriate at this point lol.

In all seriousness I wasn't looking to get into a petty squabble, I'm more annoyed that it's cost me £17 for the boxing and I've spent about £10 worth of that in tit for tat.

The gear knob is great, the concept is great, the guesture is noble, the forum is happy, I'm happy...

I'm keeping out of it. :lol: :thumbsup:

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm

If I hadn’t just bought a ZHP, I would’ve had one of these.

Love the bespoke, one-off side but also how it’s made. :thumbsup:

If you can etch the numbers etc after they’ve been made and people can see the finished item, I would say you’ll have no problem selling them :thumbsup:

keith777

Custom gear knob

Post by keith777 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 pm

Put me down for one please
Cheers Keith.

Buckley06

Custom gear knob

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:32 pm

keith777 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 pm Put me down for one please
Cheers Keith.
Sure can you inbox me please with if you want plain or engraved 6 or 5 speed.

I only ask for in boxing so I can keep track of who wants one.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Custom gear knob

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:32 pm
keith777 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 pm Put me down for one please
Cheers Keith.
Sure can you inbox me please with if you want plain or engraved 6 or 5 speed.

I only ask for in boxing so I can keep track of who wants one.
Might be a good idea to have a running list of who's signed up and available slots left... :wink: :thumbsup:
While I'm here I have made an executive decision; I would like no engraving on mine please....just clear....pure....simple...nadda...noffink. lol