Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

5 Months In...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Number Six

5 Months In...

Post by Number Six » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am

No, I haven't crashed it :D

I've had the car for nearly five months and am debating what to do next. It's a 2009 manual 35i with lots of options and nearly 49,000 miles and it has not missed a beat so far but I'm debating what to do next. Options include:

- Keep it. The car is covered by BMW in case anything expensive (I'm looking at you, adaptive suspension) goes pop, although some outlay will be needed soon. The car is still on run-flats so they will have to go, a detail is on the cards to breath some life into the 9-year-old paint and the idle is a bit lumpy so it's off to the garage soon to be checked over. Plus the wheels will need refurbishing and the lights have a bit of water ingress although I'm sure the warranty will cover the second point.

- Trade it in for a newer version. I like the aesthetics of the post-2013 cars and although 49k isn't a lot something with lower miles that is newer is always an attractive option.

- Swap it for a Porsche. I like the second generation Cayman S although I'm aware that maintenance costs will take a leap.

I have no problem with my car - it's reliable (so far), quick and a very nice place to be thanks to the original owner ticking the options list. I feel like I know the car very well now and though the Porsche is arguably the better driver's car I'm leaning toward keeping mine and spending some cash on it (tips on recommended upgrades welcome) or getting into a newer version of the same although I think my car is probably worth about 10k at this stage.

So, what do you think? I also have to say although I don't post on here much it's nice to see a forum full of constructive advice and enthusiasm, plenty of others should perhaps take note.

sunnydays

5 Months In...

Post by sunnydays » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:22 am

A few thoughts.

Upgrade wise I would start with non run flats. It is no joke the difference these make. They literally transform the car.

Secondly If you want more power, and pops and gurgles from the exhaust take a look at mhd. Once again a huge difference and flashable at home via mobile phone.

What is making you consider changing car. Are you just bored? Or is the Z4 not doing something you would want it to?

Number Six

5 Months In...

Post by Number Six » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 am

Pilot Sports are currently top of the list for the car, I'm just getting the last out of the run-flats before I change them. I thought if I change them I may as well get the wheels refurbed at the same time but those two combined will come to 750-800 pounds which started the quandary. I'm ok with the power for now although the MHD Android app is tempting!

My plan was to hang on to this one for a year then chop it in for a newer one as I like the facelifted version - I'm not bored of the car at all, it's just nice to have a newer one but this car has been looked after fairly well so excusing the Porsche option I guess is it better to sink some money into a known older car or pony up for a younger model? I'm also hoping if I did get a different one $%^&ing idiots would stop crashing into the damn thing when parked - second repair to the front a few weeks ago after being resprayed soon after the first mishap 4 days after purchase...

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

5 Months In...

Post by Maniac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Adaptive suspension failure is the least of your worries. HPFP, Injectors, Water pump, Rocker cover, various plastic pipes will be in the N54’s future. Keep the warranty.

Number Six

5 Months In...

Post by Number Six » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Maniac wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 pmAdaptive suspension failure is the least of your worries. HPFP, Injectors, Water pump, Rocker cover, various plastic pipes will be in the N54’s future. Keep the warranty.
And there I was thinking this car would be a safer bet than the Porsche..! Engine is getting checked out soon and plan to keep the warranty as long as I have the car. I assumed the engine was fairly bulletproof if looked after, apparently not according to a quick browse.

sunnydays

5 Months In...

Post by sunnydays » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Number Six wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 amPilot Sports are currently top of the list for the car, I'm just getting the last out of the run-flats before I change them. I thought if I change them I may as well get the wheels refurbed at the same time but those two combined will come to 750-800 pounds which started the quandary. I'm ok with the power for now although the MHD Android app is tempting!

My plan was to hang on to this one for a year then chop it in for a newer one as I like the facelifted version - I'm not bored of the car at all, it's just nice to have a newer one but this car has been looked after fairly well so excusing the Porsche option I guess is it better to sink some money into a known older car or pony up for a younger model? I'm also hoping if I did get a different one $%^&ing idiots would stop crashing into the damn thing when parked - second repair to the front a few weeks ago after being resprayed soon after the first mishap 4 days after purchase...
I actually had Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my Z4 and they are phenomenal. Mine are available for sale with a full set of rims in the for sale section if that interests you at all. What alloys do you have? And that sucks in terms of parking, when ever I park anywhere I tend to park far away so no one parks next to me lol.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

5 Months In...

Post by Maniac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Don’t get me wrong, when they’re on song they are fantastic engines. But they go wrong, quite a bit.

Philly_Sweden

5 Months In...

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Maniac wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pmDon’t get me wrong, when they’re on song they are fantastic engines. But they go wrong, quite a bit.
Do they really? Internet rumours?

Number Six

5 Months In...

Post by Number Six » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 pmI actually had Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my Z4 and they are phenomenal. Mine are available for sale with a full set of rims in the for sale section if that interests you at all. What alloys do you have?
I've got the 294 split rims, they don't seem to suffer from the cracking problem but I think they'll be expensive to refurb. Might have to think about those wheels, they would go pretty well with my (black) car. Whereabouts are you based?

sunnydays

5 Months In...

Post by sunnydays » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Number Six wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm
sunnydays wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 pmI actually had Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my Z4 and they are phenomenal. Mine are available for sale with a full set of rims in the for sale section if that interests you at all. What alloys do you have?
I've got the 294 split rims, they don't seem to suffer from the cracking problem but I think they'll be expensive to refurb. Might have to think about those wheels, they would go pretty well with my (black) car. Whereabouts are you based?
Near Leeds, West Yorkshire mate. They do look cracking, depends what you like :)

Havard

5 Months In...

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:43 pm

I think you may find the lack of low down grunt a problem with the Cayman. Straight 6 NA engine sounds amazing, especially with the sports exhaust. Problem is, low down power is not brilliant and you have to drive it hard to get the best out of it. Mate of mine has a PDK 2.7 and that felt just as quick as my manual 3.4. Although I would like to drive both back to back.

It does go round corners like nothing I have ever experienced though and reliability shouldn't be a worry at all. Massive jump in purchase price though, unless you go for one with higher miles. Mine was £43K but only had 7.5k miles on the clock (63 plate). I actually think the E89 is far better value for money but reliability would be my concern. I didn't think they were that bad in fairness but I have never driven or owned one. Both are great looking cars but the 981 range of cars have great road presence conpared to their predecessor.

With servicing every 2 years or 20k, they seem quite reasonable to me.

H.
Last edited by Havard on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Gaffa22

5 Months In...

Post by Gaffa22 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm

"Cracking" possibly not the best term to use sunny :rofl: :rofl:
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

Number Six

5 Months In...

Post by Number Six » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pmNear Leeds, West Yorkshire mate.
I'm in Belgium but I pop over quite regularly, will have a think as the price seems reasonable - thanks.

As for the Porsche, I had a 2006 Cayman 3.4S as a courtesy car for a month years ago while getting a replacement clam for a VX220. Really nice to drive, lovely sound - didn't handle as well as the VX but that was to be expected. I'd be looking at a gen 2 2010 on, probably in the region of 25-30k. Definitely agree on the value for money, unless going for a shed/snotter this would be a very hard car to replace.