Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run flat blow out fix

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
raymond.harper

Run flat blow out fix

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:56 am

I always worry about runflats. Our Z4 and Mini have them but what happens if they suffer a total failure? Rather than trailer you to a garage for a new tyre assuming the garage is open the A.A. carry a 17 inch universal run spacesaver. If your tyre is destroyed they will fit the spacesaver and you will be on your way along with your old wheel. Hopefully there is enough space in the car for the wheel. Then you go to your tyre depot in your own time and get a new tyre placed and the depot will take away the spacesaver and it gets sent back by courier to the A.A

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 am

A 17" universal spacesaver tyre isn't going to be universal though!

It wouldn't fit over any car's front discs if they've got large brakes (e.g. 355mm or bigger).

In my case, the car was trailered to a garage to have the tyre replaced - and it took them 5 hours to get me from Suffolk to near Heathrow. it should take less than 2 hours at my normal time (5am), but due to the puncture and delay in waiting for recovery, we were travelling in peak time.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

srhutch

Run flat blow out fix

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 am

I’m not sure what your point is OP :?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 am

I am assuming he means that switching to non-runflats there is an element of what if....
A space saver is obviously one way of getting you on the road againbut its still a legal requirement to have the means to fix a flat tyre whether its a spare or tyre sealant and an inflator.
We had a space saver for our mini, it came in a kit that fitted under the car on the opposite side to the exhaust. Could only be fitted to no-S models as their pipe ran down the centre and left no room.
If you had a puncture with a front tyre, you would have to fit the pace saver on the rear and move the ok rear onto the punctured front as the 17" space saver would not fit over the brakes.
This could possibly be done with a lot of cars except ones with staggered fitment.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 am

I'm not with the AA so that might be a problem :) plus I would like to see them try and fit a spacesaver over the M140s 4 pot calipers. If the runflat fails completely then it woud be a trailer job. I never worry about it to be honest.

The Z3 I had was always slightly ridiculous with punctures as it had a spacesaver strapped to the underside of the car but the flat woud never have fitted in the boot :roll: Great thinking by BMW.

Always reminds me of this tragic story,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263095/U-S-Air-Force-captain-Jenna-Wilcox-holiday-Scotland-dies-freak-accident-sports-car-tyre-explodes-lap.html

Tim.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:38 am

raymond.harper wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:56 amI always worry about runflats. Our Z4 and Mini have them but what happens if they suffer a total failure? Rather than trailer you to a garage for a new tyre assuming the garage is open the A.A. carry a 17 inch universal run spacesaver. If your tyre is destroyed they will fit the spacesaver and you will be on your way along with your old wheel. Hopefully there is enough space in the car for the wheel. Then you go to your tyre depot in your own time and get a new tyre placed and the depot will take away the spacesaver and it gets sent back by courier to the A.A
Are you suggesting the recovery companies should carry space savers? That would be dozens to cover all wheel sizes, stud number, PCD, etc. For all members cars. Quite unrealistic expectation, except perhaps one or two common car sizes

I saw somewhere the average puncture is 1 per 90,000 miles, so not really an issue to worry about. Most of those will show up on the driveway or car park when left.. Total failure is rare and breakdown more likely to be battery or key loss/failure...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am

While the AA/RAC DO carry a "universal" spacesaver, as said I'm not sure about it fitting our Zeds, especially those with bigger brakes.

Having recently ditched my RFT's, I don't really give it a thought. I still carry my "Stork Ranger" tubeless tyre repair (plug) kit in the boot, along with a small £10 Aldi compressor, as I do in all my vehicles.

Probably had to use them about a dozen times over the last 15 or so years, and approx 750,000 miles that I've driven. IMO, if you keep an eye on your tyres, a puncture is normally easily spotted, even if a tyre picks up a screw/nail, you can usually hear it as it hits the tarmac on every revolution. Tyres nowadays are pretty strong and actual blowouts are fairly rare (I'm talking about premium brands, not the cheap Chinese ditchfinders) Of course, there is always the scenario where you can't avoid an object/debris in the road, but if it's serious enough to cause a blowout in a std tyre, it probably would do the same to a RFT.

I'm sure I read recently that the number one cause of a blowout is still under inflation, causing the tyre to overheat and delaminate, literally falling apart, but again I'd like to think I'd hear/feel this before it got to a critical stage.

Just my 2p.

Mike

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Blowouts do occur and can happen with premium tyres too.
Nicki had a blowout on the motorway with the X6 with Bridgestone runflats fitted.
Front tyre instantly lost all air as something on the motorway punctured the sidewall.
Might not be a normal blowout but this sort of thing would knacker any tyre whether budget or premium.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by MACK » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am

First hand experience of this in an E90. Bang and im pulling on to the hard shoulder with a destroyed sidewall of the OSF tyre. The AA showed up and recovered me to wherever I wanted to go in the UK, in this case about 30 miles. N9t sure what would have happened if I didn't have the nationwide recovery element, always had it so never considered it. But I guess with the basic cover I would have thought it would be just like any other mechanical breakdown, they'll take you to the nearest garage or tyre contractor in this case, whether they're open or closed and leave the car there. Once there it's on you to sort yourself.

If anything these days blowouts are more common on RFT than non runflats. Their internal structure is more prone to damage and tyre bulges are much more common, basically its the same issue with runflats that causes wheel cracking/buckling no give whatsoever so one decent pothole... Left unchecked or unnoticed these bulges can lead to a catestrophic tyre failure. Just ask any decent MOT tester how many bulging runflat tyres they see compared to non runflats. All brands as well, had recent personal experience of this with a Goodyear F1 RFT on a company vehicle, went unnoticed as well till the tyre was due to be replaced as it was on the inner wall.
Last edited by MACK on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Roads round Trafford are awful for a bludge on my mini JCW in the first 500 miles 🤬

Only the second car I’ve had them on and tbh even with the new tech they are still crap but don’t want to fork out another £800 for some nice normal tyres.

jimmybell

Run flat blow out fix

Post by jimmybell » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Surprised they fit RFT to a JCW model!
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

jimmybell wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pmSurprised they fit RFT to a JCW model!
Exactly. I tried to argue the point but we got a good deal with nearly 10k off list so they wouldnt budge on putting more performance tyres on it.

It was a pre reg so it had almost every option and run flats are an option...

Paulr

Run flat blow out fix

Post by Paulr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

I thought Run Flat Tyres meant just that. Get a blowout and you can drive on the tyres still - albeit with reduced enthusiasm. Do they suffer from complete collapse like a standard tyre would??
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Problem is in most cases is if you have a slow puncture and still drive on it like most people do the sidewall collapses meaning you cant put any air in it at all and they are just as useless as normal tyres in puncture respect.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat blow out fix

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

tomscott wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pmProblem is in most cases is if you have a slow puncture and still drive on it like most people do the sidewall collapses meaning you cant put any air in it at all and they are just as useless as normal tyres in puncture respect.
No sure that's right Tom or perhaps I'm missing your point. If the air comes out of the tyre to zero psi then you can dive at least 50 miles at max 50mph. The entire design is to run with no air. I'd bet you could drive them happily with a 2" hole in the wall too given the design of rim and bead
Drive 500m on a normal tyre with with no air an it'll likely cost you the rim too

I'm no fan of them, but they are way better for the average muppet and save a huge amount of weight and space in cars
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills