Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help: Window Issues!!

razyfit

Post by razyfit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to the world of BMW's. Just picked up an E89 30i but having some window or electrical issues.

I did try and search but couldn't find a definite answer.

Problem:

Driver side windows controls are not working. I can't roll down the windows and now the 2 small rear windows are completely down and can't get them to come up. The passenger side window/control works just fine which is so strange. I had our local BMW dealership seal the 2 small windows with cardboard and a garbage bag on each side as it rains a lot here. The dealership said there is also a small water leak in the boot of the vehicle coming from the right side. Its really minor as I can't even see any water. It's really frustrating having to do deal with this argh! Could the wiring be affected by the water? Does it require new switch controls? Does the window module need to be reset?

The controls were working just fine a few days ago.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

F
Last edited by razyfit on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 pm

If you got the car from a dealer and it's a recent purchase, take it back, have they ever worked correctly or did you not try them before buying,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

razyfit

Post by razyfit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Everything was checked on the vehicle and it was functioning properly a few days ago.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Has the car been driven in the days since it was working , the earlier zed suffers all sorts of electrical issues when the battery is on its last legs
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

razyfit

Post by razyfit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes it has been driven everyday since.

We had the battery replaced a few days ago and registered by BMW as the old battery was deemed weak as per the inspection (car is 2009). I could tell though the windows were starting to get finicky with the old battery. Issue still exists with the new battery.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:03 pm

If bought from BMW I'd take it back , an say since they changed your battery you've had this issue , if the car is from them there should be some warranty

razyfit

Post by razyfit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:08 pm

It wasn't purchased from BMW. I'd prefer to keep the vehicle as it has a clean vehicle history, low km, mechanically runs perfect etc.. just having these issues!

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:55 am

The fact that both rear windows aren't working suggests it's a switch problem, doesn't it?

Any decent auto electrician should be able to trace and solve it.

Yellow Pages.
Vidi, vici, veni

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 am

Had the same problem, drivers door window wouldn't work until i gave the arm rest a thump.
Then one day it got stuck down, so tried the all down button and they all got stuck down. Luckily it wasn't raining.
I removed the door card and found the connector to the switch was the problem. I unplugged the connector, cleaned with contact spray, made sure all contacts were fully home, then refitted as firmly as possible.
All fine since.

razyfit

Post by razyfit » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:57 am

Thank you guys. I will pull the door panel and see what's happening and go from there.