Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

"M" Specific discussion
T1berious

Post by T1berious » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Mine's still feels pretty epic. As echoed above it's the type of car that thrives on good regular maintenance. I'm 93K in and took a fellow petrol head for a spin on Friday and he was "I've got to get one!"

If you're going to track it I'd imagine you'll have to look at the consumables. 1st thing you need to do is look at the brakes even if it's hoses and EBC pads (someone will pipe in with the correct ones in a bit. Yellow?) Stock brakes are frankly, pants.

Mines is now on a 6 months oil change cycle and she purrs and roars as she should :driving:

T1b
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Not a roadster, but I bought mine on 107k with FSH, got all the big jobs and preventative maintenance out of the way immediately, and have driven it daily ever since. It still feels special, it's now about to hit 120k, I get it serviced 3 times a year, and its been completely faultless so far, although I'm often on my way to a Shell to top up on V-Power, it does like to drink!
I'm using oem brake discs and Blue Stuff NDX race pads, on the recommendation of Fishy Dave who uses them on track in his AP calipers, fantastic pad for the money and take so much abuse, can't recommend them enough for a budget performance pad.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Theivz

Post by Theivz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm

great advice

thanks all for posts and input

I am slightly put off the M by running costs and my desire to take it on the track once in a while

Anyway I can think of more troublesome predicaments to find yourself in ... lol ... I will continue to search AT/pistonheads and ponder some more...

thanks again all :thumbsup:
Last edited by Theivz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

It depends on your perspective. Apart from the tax and all round discs and pads which need doing every 35-40k I thought the running costs were pretty reasonable for the type of car you get for the money.

Inspections can be expensive but with the age of the car even BMW do the old car program. Had my inspection 2 done for around £690ish at grange BMW I seem to remember and that was a good 3-4 years ago.

They are great cars. Just do the things it needs at the age. Engine mounts are rubber so will be ready for new, engine bolts makes sense and get the bearings swapped about £1500 in all and really as long as vanos behaves it should be decent £ motoring.

Theivz

Post by Theivz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:16 pm

tomscott wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm
They are great cars. Just do the things it needs at the age. Engine mounts are rubber so will be ready for new, engine bolts makes sense and get the bearings swapped about £1500 in all and really as long as vanos behaves it should be decent £ motoring.
great advice. thank you

this is the bit that worries me a little however ... vanos behaviour and 1500 maintenance is not something i am too keen on esp when a sorted 3.0 will cost me 5k

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm

If you are wanting a low use weekend / track toy that comes with less financial risk & commitment yet offers decent handling & performance i would seriously consider a 3.0Si roady or coupe :wink: for half the investment they offer decent bang for buck :driving:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Theivz

Post by Theivz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:47 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pmIf you are wanting a low use weekend / track toy that comes with less financial risk & commitment yet offers decent handling & performance i would seriously consider a 3.0Si roady or coupe :wink: for half the investment they offer decent bang for buck :driving:
good advice buddy cheers will have a gander

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:14 am

Milage IS the killer - or.. not really, it’s the stupid engine construction.
However well maintained, it WILL eat thru the rod bearings. Better change before 150000km’s.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 am

Very easy car to live with. Change rod bearings at 100k kms, and the vanos/chain guide at 150k, besian kit. Easy peasy. Punches way above its weight at cars twice the price. A few easy /cheap mods and you'll get hooked on track days.

Beware, modding does cause financial strife. :rofl:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3