Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driving Z4 without the Splash cover under the engine.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skurup

Post by skurup » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Need a suggestion/help from all of you. I recently had to remove the splash cover that goes underneath the engine compartment because it got broken in one place and two of the plastic screws had come out. It was hanging a little out of place and wasn't safe to drive at high speeds with it. I haven't bought another one (but planning to buy one next month). I would like to know if it's bad to drive without a splash cover on the Z4. I'm a little worried because low floor car.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

My only concern would be that it lets roadspray etc splash all over power steering, alternator etc. Increasing chance of corrosion and dirt shortening their life.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm

As above it protects against dirt and stones etc
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm

I've not had mine on for years as it got broken on a local speed bump, and it also didn't fit correctly due to the previous owner fitting an M front bumper (who then bodged in an extra piece of plastic to close the gap between 3.0i undertray and M bumper, which decided to fly off when I was doing motorway speeds).

I need an M undertray, but they're crazy expensive from BMW and whenever an M is being broken for parts, they're usually smashed up

Not had a problem, other than a bit of dirty water flicking up into the engine bay. Nothing a quick wipe over can't fix.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Many cheaper cars don't have them so it's not vital.

They do help parts last longer but they also smooth the air flow underneath the car so it could slightly reduce your fuel economy.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc