Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

News - All of it bad

"M" Specific discussion
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

News - All of it bad

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pmIf the insurance company aren’t keen to make a more reasonable offer, you should start to mutter about personal injury compensation, psychological trauma and loss of earnings. They will be keen to close the claim as soon as possible!
Sorry to head a bit off-track, but please don't do that! You probably know this already but your motor policy does not cover any of these items for the driver, only for those who suffered such losses due to your negligence (i.e. passengers, occupants of other vehicles or pedestrians, etc.).
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 am

Are you sure? Perhaps it’s policy specific or I might be confusing the small print of my Australian policy with my UK policy. Something I read recently gave a figure for personal injury for the policy holder.

It was a tongue in cheek comment anyway, suggesting a potential lever for bargaining with the insurance company over the value of the car not a route for extracting as much money as possible.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

News - All of it bad

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 am

There is no cover for injuries (which would include trauma) to, or loss of earnings of, the driver in UK motor policies (although there is usually some level of personal accident cover for loss of eyes and/or limbs - but thankfully that doesn't apply).

I worked for over 30 years in the UK insurance industry, mostly handling claims so I would have noticed! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am

I suppose that qualifies you to know :D I wonder how many drivers are aware of that. In future I’d better be a little less cavalier when driving on country lanes or make sure there’s someone else around to blame if I’m injured in a crash.

There are two levels of car insurance in Aus. CTP is Compulsory Third Party and is a legal requirement before a vehicle can be registered and used on the road. It covers only personal injury to others caused by that vehicle in an accident (not damage to property). Some but not all CTP policies cover injury to the ‘at fault’ driver. I’ve just checked the recently renewed policy for my car and it has an extension to cover injury to me as the driver even if I am at fault. It must have been that I remembered reading.

In addition to CTP, a comprehensive insurance policy is necessary for there to be cover for damage to property including your own vehicle. This comprehensive policy is not a legal requirement. It’s an odd system whereby personal injury insurance is a legal requirement but you can legally drive a vehicle that has no cover for damage to property. As such, you can be hit by what amounts to a legally uninsured driver :headbang:
Last edited by BMWZ4MC on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am

Lucky barsteward walking away from that one!
Good to hear ur ok but give urself proper time to recover tho, silly sausage!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

markalp

News - All of it bad

Post by markalp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 am

Seeing things like this make me consider wearing a seatbelt again. But then I remember how free and liberating it feels to not wear one. :/ (I have a seatbelt exeption form from my GP)
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Bing
Legend
Legend

News - All of it bad

Post by Bing » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 am

Really sorry to see this, but really happy to hear you’re well enough to heal. Must’ve been terrifying :o

Sadly, I’m not surprised the other car drove away - so many on the roads couldn’t give two shits about anyone else, and if they are able to drive off and avoid an expensive claim against them then why not ? Assholes :x
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Attilio

News - All of it bad

Post by Attilio » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 am

:o that must have been frightening! Take your time to make sure your injuries heal properly and don't rush back to work (Speaking from experience).

Hope they get the idiot responsible for the accident and that you manage to negotiate a fair evaluation. The very best of luck!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

z4pilot

News - All of it bad

Post by z4pilot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 am

That must have been terrifying... Good to know though that these cars are able to stand up to a significant shunt even when the basic design is 15 years old. Hard to understand how somebody could pull out on you when you were two thirds the way past - clearly there are some folk out there with poor awareness and no concept of time and distance. Good luck with your recovery.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am

wishing you a speedy recovery, crazy that no one managed to get the reg nor make and model(?) of the vehicle that left the scene! :cry:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Austin

News - All of it bad

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am

Just glad you are Ok and the car protected you quite well all things consider. Take it easy on the recovery and I hope you get the insurance sorted.
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

T1berious

News - All of it bad

Post by T1berious » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

Mate, glad you're recovering. deeply shocked that the driver causing the stack left the scene of a serious accident.

Best of luck and wishing you a speedy return to health.

A very shocked T1b
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:51 am

Ouch! In more ways than one..

Also
BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm You escaped lightly by the looks of the damage. It’s a good job you didn’t have a passenger. I’ve been in that situation but fortunately the other guy woke up to my presence before he hit me.
If the insurance company aren’t keen to make a more reasonable offer, you should start to mutter about personal injury compensation, psychological trauma and loss of earnings. They will be keen to close the claim as soon as possible!
As said, YOUR policy won't cover YOU for injuries sustained, that claim would need to be against the third party that caused the accident, and I would be moving hell and high water to try and identify them so that they could be brought to book AND your insurance co could recover their losses and it not go against you as a fault claim.

Mike

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by jabber » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

Only just seen this glad your injuries aren’t too severe get better soon and take it easy
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

News - All of it bad

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 am

As an aside, if you do manage to track down the offender(s) then rather than your ins co paying out and scrapping the car, if the 3rd party coughs up, they will give you a chance to buy the salvage from them at a knockdown price, provided it's not a cat A. In which case, can I have first refusal on the carbon leather? :evil:

Mike