Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Oil

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
barnyg

Engine Oil

Post by barnyg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

So I've seen loads of similar posts about engine oil but nothing that quite answers my questions. Basically the amber oil light came on as i switched my z4 off today and after checking the level on the dashboard it looks like I've hit the low oil point and suggested to top up 1l. I would do an oil change but don't really have the tools available right now so for now am just planning to top up a litre.

My question is, is there going to be an issue with mixing of different viscosity oils? I don't know what was last put in this car but at the moment i am edging towards putting in some 5W30 as seems fairly standard. I've also noticed theres a difference between LL01 and LL04, any issue with these two mixing? Also any suggestion of brand?

Cheers, Barny
[SOLD] 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe: Montego Blue, Cirrus Dash, Cruise Control, Nav, 18" CSL Reps, Eibach lowered, MM Tips, ZHP Gearknob, Sport Button mod, GROM BT3

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Engine Oil

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Adding / mixing brands or even viscosity is unlikely to do any harm until full change is due .
Ive long been a fan of Millers oils & rarely have i ever had to top any car once its been changed .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils ... Swn-lZcxDa
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

SimonUK

Engine Oil

Post by SimonUK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Barny,

I don't think mixing a small amount of oil will do any harm but you currently have Castrol Edge 5W30. Supplied by myself and changed by BMW for the stamp! Hope all is going well with the car. I miss her a lot!

Cheers,
Simon

barnyg

Engine Oil

Post by barnyg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks guys. Have heard good things about Millers so will consider for future full changes.

Simon, really useful to know whats already in there so thanks. Will likely go for the same. All good with the car, a very impractical daily driver but definitely enjoyable!

Barny
[SOLD] 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe: Montego Blue, Cirrus Dash, Cruise Control, Nav, 18" CSL Reps, Eibach lowered, MM Tips, ZHP Gearknob, Sport Button mod, GROM BT3

On1wheel01

Engine Oil

Post by On1wheel01 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 am

Most oil manufacturers will say you can mix viscosities with no issues. Heck most even say you can even mix conventional and synthetic with no side effects.