Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exterior Door Handle

Burple

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Burple » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi all,
Bit of a weird one this morning. Got in the car to go to work (that's not the weird part :rofl: ), drove to work as normal, but when I got there, I went to take my jacket and bag out of the passenger side so lifted the the passenger's exterior door handle as normal, and the whole handle and surround came out! It didn't take any pressure at all, the whole thing just fell out. It's a 13 plate E89 for info.
Anybody every heard of this happening before? is it easy to fix?
The car is going into a local dealer on Friday for a couple of other niggles - Drivers seat base is not heating at all (the other pads are, which is a strange feeling on a cold morning! :rofl: ) and intermittently both door windows drop ALL THE WAY down the first time the doors are opened after unlocking (sounds like a BCU unit type issue that happens with Minis sometimes)

It's under warranty from the dealer anyway, but I don't want the handle to pop out on the motorway on the way home. Any ideas if it's an easy fix?

Cheers!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Burple wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm Hi all,
Bit of a weird one this morning. Got in the car to go to work (that's not the weird part :rofl: ), drove to work as normal, but when I got there, I went to take my jacket and bag out of the passenger side so lifted the the passenger's exterior door handle as normal, and the whole handle and surround came out! It didn't take any pressure at all, the whole thing just fell out. It's a 13 plate E89 for info.
Anybody every heard of this happening before? is it easy to fix?
The car is going into a local dealer on Friday for a couple of other niggles - Drivers seat base is not heating at all (the other pads are, which is a strange feeling on a cold morning! :rofl: ) and intermittently both door windows drop ALL THE WAY down the first time the doors are opened after unlocking (sounds like a BCU unit type issue that happens with Minis sometimes)

It's under warranty from the dealer anyway, but I don't want the handle to pop out on the motorway on the way home. Any ideas if it's an easy fix?

Cheers!
Hi, duct tape should see you home with the full complement of handles-handy it’s still under warranty!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Maniac » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:17 pm

That’s never happened before to my knowledge.

It’s probably been broken by the previous owner and bodged.

New unit under warranty should sort you out.

Vonlipvig

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm

For the windows dropping on opening, if you press unlock twice, it will drop them to make it easier to get in when you open the door. I did it by accident and got really confused so that maybe the answer to that one
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Burple

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Burple » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm For the windows dropping on opening, if you press unlock twice, it will drop them to make it easier to get in when you open the door. I did it by accident and got really confused so that maybe the answer to that one
That's really interesting.. I'll give that a try yomorrow i think. Does it wait until you pull the handle or just drop them after you press? Thanks!

Burple

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Burple » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 pm

So.. 5 mins on google.. and 5 mins in the garage bending the end of a tent peg instead of paying of wad of cash for a bmw tool.. turns out it seems to be a simple fix. The handle is held in by a sliding mechanism you can get to after taking the rubber plug out of the end of the door. Looks like it's managed to work itself free. Quick squint with a torch and a fumble about in the hole (matron!) And got it sorted pretty fast. Still be getting bmw to check it over tho.

Duct tape? That's for amateurs.. good old sellotape got me home tonight.. 8) :rofl: :thumbsup:

Vonlipvig

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 am

Burple wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 pm
That's really interesting.. I'll give that a try yomorrow i think. Does it wait until you pull the handle or just drop them after you press? Thanks!
Waits till you pull the handle :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Burple

Exterior Door Handle

Post by Burple » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 am

Vonlipvig wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 am
Waits till you pull the handle :thumbsup:
Tried it this morning.. 3 times in a row. Every day's a school day! Shame nobody at the dealership knew to tell me that... as well as holding down the unlock button to drop the roof - they said it doesn't have that feature.. umm.. well it does it! :D

Thanks for all the advice, intermittent fault (i think) sorted (because it isn't!), door handle sorted (but I'll get them to check it anyway).
So just the heated seat to sort. BMW can do that, not messing about with that :rofl:

Thanks guys!

mcbutler

Exterior Door Handle

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Too much time in the gym, obviously :D
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather