Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Could be a long winter....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 pm

When are you going to put the tyres on these wheels, then?

Vidi, vici, veni

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

Couldnt afford winters on the 326s and dont want to risk damaging them with constant swapping over tyres.

However, on that subject, Im looking at the option of putting none RFTs on the 326s whilst they are off the car.

Gives me the chance to up the rears to 35 profile. Might help a bit as you can maybe see from the pic above, when I drive off my driveway, the footpath drops to the road meaning theres a fair peak that the car has to clear. This was no issue on my previous SE E89 but the Msport is tight.
Theres a bit of undertray that catches and rubs, its very, very tight. 35 profile on the rears might help with an extra mm or two ride height.

Ideally I would have liked to keep SE suspension, but the Msport looks so much better!

Keeping my eyes open for a bargain set of tyres!

Hopefully I can get a few quid back for the current RFTs.....the rears were fitted new by the supplying garage 1000 miles ago at a cost of £220 each, so they must be worth something!

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm

what are the advantages of having 'winter' wheels?
59 plate sDrive23i 2.5

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Several....

Generally a smaller size, so cheaper tyres.

Dedicated winter rubber is pretty much essential in a rwd car!

Also, not too worried about the cheaper winter wheels getting exposed to salt and general winter debris.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 am

I've put winters on my E46 daily for the last 3 years.

It hasn't been that cold in that time but even when the temperature drops to 3 or 4 degrees Centigrade I can feel the difference, especially when it is wet!

It usually has staggered 225/45 X17 fronts and 245/40 X 17 rears, but the winters are 205/50 x 16 and they work so much better than the "summers" when it does get cold.

A huge improvement over trying to drive a BMW in snow and ice on summer tyres - as I found out in 2008! :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

philiph

Post by philiph » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

On my daily (a 2011 Saab 95 which I had to buy just before they went bust!) I needed new winter tyres for this year and Summer Tyres were near the end. I decided to try Michelin Cross Climate to save the hassle of having to change and store a set of wheels. So far they seem OK. But no winter yet, but they do have the Winter tyre marking.

The main function of Winter tyres, in my opinion (in most of the country) is an ability to make you stop. That is much more important that going! Secondary requirement is to make it possible to steer and go, but you can only go as fast and as far as the other traffic allows, a few numpties get stuck and everyone is stuffed.
2017 Estoril Blue 2.0 Z4
Good spec, Only 2 pedals but other bits added to make up for that omission

GusM

Post by GusM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Although most of my winter driving is done in my Volvo with winter tyres (green wellies too!) I have taken my Zed out with her summer 326's on which aren't brilliant below 7 degrees! Any views on 19' winter tyres, I know they're really expensive? :D :cry:
alpine White - red Leather - 28i mSport - manual - iDrive - comfort pack - extended lighting -

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Just to update....

Ive gone from 19” RFT summers to 17” RFT winters......

Weve had some pretty savage weather over the past week or so, and Ive been on nights so have had to drive in some serious snow/ice......pleased to say, the car hasnt missed a beat. The tyres have been brilliant.

We live at the top of a hill and Ive passed all manner of fwd hatchbacks which were spinning their wheels.

If you want to drive a RWD car in NE Scotland during the winter, these winter tyres are 100% essential.