Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot issues

adann

Boot issues

Post by adann » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:09 pm

This issue started a couple of weeks ago and is still happening now. When closing the boot it keeps going up and down for several minutes. Went to put the roof down today (boot fully closed) and roof got stuck with the rear window on top and all windows down. Couldn’t open fully or close it. Light then came up on dashboard saying boot open. I’ve managed to get the roof closed now after leaving it a while but any suggestions for the boot issue? I’m assuming it’s all linked.

https://youtu.be/d0I3BoOA2cA
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Boot issues

Post by flybobbie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I had the exact problem. Turned out to be defective manufactured wiring in the boot closing mechanism.
I did post on forum how I fixed, but the pics are now missing from photobucket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeFPf01714
look to the left and you will see a looped wire that moves as the mechanism operates. This is connect to a micro switch that senses boot is latched. The wires inside had broken through from constant movement due to a manufacturing fault where the cable strippers had cut the wires and weakened them, until several years later, they finally broke.

adann

Boot issues

Post by adann » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 pm I had the exact problem. Turned out to be defective manufactured wiring in the boot closing mechanism.
I did post on forum how I fixed, but the pics are now missing from photobucket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeFPf01714
look to the left and you will see a looped wire that moves as the mechanism operates. This is connect to a micro switch that senses boot is latched. The wires inside had broken through from constant movement due to a manufacturing fault where the cable strippers had cut the wires and weakened them, until several years later, they finally broke.
Thanks for the reply. Is that how you fixed it in that video? Easy to do or best taking to a garage?
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Boot issues

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 am

Depends how handy you are, the switch in parts is here on my pb page.
http://s1175.photobucket.com/
Not sure if you can see the pics here of the switch. Had to splice in a little extra wire and solder.
The mechanism all unbolts easy from the boot, once the trim panel has been removed.
If you go to BMW they will try to replace the whole lot, cost you £300 for the mechanism plus fitting!
Perhaps go to good garage and ask them to check it.

adann

Boot issues

Post by adann » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Anyone else experienced this? Still having the same issue which has gotten slightly worse than before. Been to a couple of garages who don’t want to touch it.

Slightly worried about the MOT as this runs out on next week and not sure if this would lead to an MOT failure.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Boot issues

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm

adann wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 pm Anyone else experienced this? Still having the same issue which has gotten slightly worse than before. Been to a couple of garages who don’t want to touch it.

Slightly worried about the MOT as this runs out on next week and not sure if this would lead to an MOT failure.
Hi, you could try a pm to dietcokeman (bryan) he’s not far from you & has fixed several e89 roof problems :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kugaman1

Boot issues

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

If the roof is up, it wont fail an mot.
Roof movement is not part of the mot test.

adann

Boot issues

Post by adann » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies. The roof is up but I can’t put down due to the boot issues. Boot will open but won’t close correctly.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

adann

Boot issues

Post by adann » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies. The roof is up but I can’t put down due to the boot issues. Boot will open but won’t close correctly.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

Busterboo

Boot issues

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 am

Was Rob's point, perhaps, that, if Bryan can fix roofs, he may well able to do boots? :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni