Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Mines the same Andy. Could it be a clear lense issue (different material, doesn’t mould so well)? I’ve struggled for 2 years to get a clear one to fit anywhere close to nice.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 am

Worcester_spoon wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm Mines the same Andy. Could it be a clear lense issue (different material, doesn’t mould so well)? I’ve struggled for 2 years to get a clear one to fit anywhere close to nice.
Think you've hit the nail on the head there.
I've had 2 clear ones now and the edges are tatty.
Lets see what the workshop manager says.
Andy.

Monaco84

Post by Monaco84 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am

Impressive restoration project. Had a lot of fun reading it.

If you need Door Cards matching your seats in a better condition than yours -> PM

kind regards
Patrick
2009-2016: Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster
2016-????: Z4M E86 Coupé

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

andyfanshawe wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 am
Worcester_spoon wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm Mines the same Andy. Could it be a clear lense issue (different material, doesn’t mould so well)? I’ve struggled for 2 years to get a clear one to fit anywhere close to nice.
Think you've hit the nail on the head there.
I've had 2 clear ones now and the edges are tatty.
Lets see what the workshop manager says.
Andy.
It is terrible that a genuine part has worse quality than you would expect from a knock off copy out of Turkey/China etc.
I recently started a thread on here "Worst bit of your Zed" No prizes for guessing what my numero uno gripe is! :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

wednesday
12;07 pm
Had a call from the workshop manager at Stratstone BMW.
Said one of their techs would be down to see me in the next 2 hours.

3:33 pm, 3 hours 26 mins later .................
I called Stratstone back and spoke to the same workshop manager and asked what was going on. He seemed surprised that nobody had turned up. i said it was too late now, I had to go to a breakdown. We agreed on tomorrow instead.

4:03 pm
Had a call from a mobile who said he was a tech from stratstone and couldn't find my workshop. I said I didn't understand what was going on, because we had agreed tomorrow. So obviously the tech didn't tell the workshop manager that he hadn't called in the 2 hours, and the workshop manager had not told the tech it was thursday instead. Jeez :headbang:

I told him to wait there and I would call down to my workshop and meet him there.

4:08
Met the tech at my shop, and showed him the light. He agreed that the quality of the light was poor. Especially around the edges, and couldn't explain the black silicone. I showed him the forum postings and made clear that the clear light versions seem to be a low quality piece.
He said he would order in another one to see what it is like. then its up to BMW to see what happens next.

If I have to go back to a red light, then so be it, but, well,...........................to be continued.

Andy.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Just be great full it’s not an Audi. They would be wanting to charge you £1,800 to remove your gearbox for inspection to make sure you haven’t ragged the car before deciding to replace your brake light or not :lol:

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Your slipping Andy,its taken you longer to sort a broken boot light than it did to change the clutch :poke: :D
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm

sw4nny wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm Your slipping Andy,its taken you longer to sort a broken boot light than it did to change the clutch :poke: :D
Lol! Yeah, slippery slope.....wheeeeeeeee......

Ironic isn't it. Put a job in someone else's control and it goes pear shape.
First time for about 35 years I've put a car into a garage, and look what happens.

Now my 19 year old wants me to drive him across the pennines tomorrow to Warrington to buy a 2012 bmw 116i sport in white. Oh dear, yet another slippery slope coming up.
Andy.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm
sw4nny wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm Your slipping Andy,its taken you longer to sort a broken boot light than it did to change the clutch :poke: :D
Lol! Yeah, slippery slope.....wheeeeeeeee......

Ironic isn't it. Put a job in someone else's control and it goes pear shape.
First time for about 35 years I've put a car into a garage, and look what happens.

Now my 19 year old wants me to drive him across the pennines tomorrow to Warrington to buy a 2012 bmw 116i sport in white. Oh dear, yet another slippery slope coming up.
Andy.
Should have called in to see me, I'm only 9 miles from Warrington..

Mike

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Mike.
Damn, didn't realise you were so close! Never crossed my mind tbh.
Next time.

The BMW was a cat D, but was written off twice in the first year and a half of its life! And it looked rough. Even pulled a drivetrain fault while we were there (according to the dash) and went into limited power mode. 4 and a half hours driving for nothing, but I went in the Z4, so atleast it had a work out over the pennines.

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Had a call from STRATSTONE bmw to say they had received another clear third brake light and it is the same as my last 2. i.e. Of poor quality. So he said there was no point in having another one fitted. he then asked me what i wanted to do.
I said I had bought a BMW quality part and expected to receive one. Not the inferior quality ones that appear to be sold as clear ones. If it has to be a red one, then so be it.
He said he would contact BMW on monday to see what they would do.
Going to be interesting to say the least.............
And we all know whats coming now....................to be continued.

Andy.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I'll have to call round in mine, I'm sure the fit is as it should be
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Over a week later, and.....have BMW contacted me about the substandard light unit? Err......No,

Not a squeak.
Hugely disappointing but sadly expected.

So BMW have supplied (and fitted) poor quality parts (as confirmed by workshop manager) and looks like they wont accept any responsibility for it.

Going to pay them a visit very shortly.

crabbes

Post by crabbes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Andy

Regarding your post on a friend that had fault codes reading bank 2 lean, I have this appear on my dash engine light, roughly after the 3rd or 4th long run, when I use my fault cable it allows me to clear the codes.

I am now using the Shell V power fuel but codes do come back, can you advise how to rectify this please.

Z4 roadster 2004 model

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:26 pm

crabbes wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 pm Hi Andy

Regarding your post on a friend that had fault codes reading bank 2 lean, I have this appear on my dash engine light, roughly after the 3rd or 4th long run, when I use my fault cable it allows me to clear the codes.

I am now using the Shell V power fuel but codes do come back, can you advise how to rectify this please.

Z4 roadster 2004 model

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:
Hi Steve.
Sorry, only just seen this! Ooops!
Can you give me the actual fault codes?
Bank 1 and 2 lean is normally an indication of an air leak assuming fuel trims are okay above idle. Otherwise fuel delivery issue (MAP, fuel pressure etc).
One bank lean (cyls 4, 5 and 6 for you) means more diagnosis needed. If the pre cat sensor on bank 2 and the post cat sensor on bank 2 both read lean then one sensor is confirming what the other one says and more diagnosis is needed.
If the pre cat one indicates lean and the post cat is not, you have a faulty pre cat o2 sensor.

Hope this is of some help and its not too late.
Andy.