Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Softtop & window operation

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
duckson

Softtop & window operation

Post by duckson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 pm

On the Z4 roadster can someone confirm to me what happens on opening / closing the softtop and windows....

Press and hold the "open" button, windows drop part way down, top goes down....windows stay part way down?

To put back up press and hold the "close" button, top goes back up but what happens to the windows?
If they are in the fully up position do they go down a bit like when opening and should they return back to the fully up position automatically once this is done or do you have to do this yourself with the window buttons? Does the drivers side have both drivers and passengers window buttons?
Cheers, Stu

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Softtop & window operation

Post by gannet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

duckson wrote: Press and hold the "open" button, windows drop part way down, top goes down....windows stay part way down?
Keep button pressed and the windows come back up :D
duckson wrote: To put back up press and hold the "close" button, top goes back up but what happens to the windows?
If they are in the fully up position do they go down a bit like when opening and should they return back to the fully up position automatically once this is done or do you have to do this yourself with the window buttons? Does the drivers side have both drivers and passengers window buttons?
Windows should go down first as when opening - and same come back up if button kept pressed.

Yes drivers side has buttons for passenger windows :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

konas

Post by konas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm

duckson wrote:On the Z4 roadster can someone confirm to me what happens on opening / closing the softtop and windows....

Press and hold the "open" button, windows drop part way down, top goes down....windows stay part way down?

If you hold the button pressed until the roof is opened the windows remail half opened. If you continue holding the button pressed (without interuption) even after the roof is opened, then the windows will fully open

To put back up press and hold the "close" button, top goes back up but what happens to the windows?
similarly you press and hold the button and: a) if windows were closed they will half open and then the roof closes, b) if windows were open they do nothing - remain open and roof closes. n any case if you continue holding the button pressed (without interuption) even after the roof is closed, then the windows will fully close.

If they are in the fully up position do they go down a bit like when opening and should they return back to the fully up position automatically once this is done or do you have to do this yourself with the window buttons?

replied above

Does the drivers side have both drivers and passengers window buttons?
yes

duckson

Post by duckson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks guys.

Once the top is down how long after do the windows go back up? Are we talking holding it for a few seconds longer once the top is down or less than that?

Reason i ask is cus the car i looked at yesterday the owner didnt really know if the windows should go back up or not....maybe he didnt hold it down long enough after opening/closing the top?
Cheers, Stu

t20lau

Post by t20lau » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

duckson wrote:Thanks guys.

Once the top is down how long after do the windows go back up? Are we talking holding it for a few seconds longer once the top is down or less than that?

Reason i ask is cus the car i looked at yesterday the owner didnt really know if the windows should go back up or not....maybe he didnt hold it down long enough after opening/closing the top?
Providing both the Roof and Windows are UP, the following will happen...

Pressing and Holding Roof Down Button - Both windows go half way down, Roof goes down, then (i think) windows go back up!

Now with the Windows up and Roof Down...

Pressing and Holding Roof Up Button...Both windows go half way down, Roof goes up, then windows go back up (you need to keep hold of the button until the window are fully closed, letting go means the windows stay open, well as open as they are when you let go anyways)!

Also, if you have your Windows open and Roof Up...

Pressing and Holding Roof Down Button - The Roof simply goes down!!!

Now with the Windows down and Roof Down...

Pressing and Holding Roof Up Button...Roof goes up, then windows go back up (you need to keep hold of the button until the window are fully closed, letting go means the windows stay open, well as open as they are when you let go anyways)!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm

duckson wrote:Thanks guys.

Keep pressing for a couple of seconds longer - why I don't know!
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah, what they have said. Once the top gets fully locked down/up keep holding the button for a few seconds longer and the windows will go up. Personally I never wait that long because it's quicker just to use the window buttons on the door.

Also don't forget you should be able to use the driver side door lock and the key to raise/lower the roof. I've found you have to first unlock it then turn the key to either the lock or unlock position & hold it in that position.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4