Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whole House Water Softener

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Bella_Jeri

Post by Bella_Jeri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 am

At one point there was a water softener in my basement, but for an unknown reason it was taken out. I am on a well and septic; water is fairly hard, measured at 250 ppm (15(gpg).

I would like to add a water softener again, but the choices and info at local stores such as Lowes, Menards, Sears, etc leaves something to be desired.

The house has a kitchen and three bathrooms, but at present only me living in it. Gas water heater. No dishwashers or whirlpools, though I do shower daily, sometimes more in summer.

Any comments from knowledgeable people about brands known for quality, features or other issues to look for are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bella

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Do you still need a straight feed to a least one tap for drinking water?

All the data I've read states the amount of salt is far less than you get in food and bottled drinks anyway.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm Do you still need a straight feed to a least one tap for drinking water?

All the data I've read states the amount of salt is far less than you get in food and bottled drinks anyway.
We didn't bother with an untreated tap - the amount of salt in the water is minuscule and can't be tasted
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:31 pm

We went for a three way tap, of which one lever is untreated and the other two (hot / cold) are treated. Use the untreated for watering plants and the water for the dog.

Just to give you an idea of running cost - family of 4 just cost me £195 for a year's worth of salt supplies.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Our 3 way tap has a filter on the drinking one, sort of like the inline Britta ones.

We've realised recently the same filter is still in place from new (many years ago) so the auto shut off when spent 'might' not be working properly, or we don't drink much water :lol: its on my list to change.

We've got a kinetico one & if it broke tmrw I'd replace it instantly. I'd heard Harvey's came up,with the design etc & it was then backwards engineered by kinetico to make their one with enough changes to prevent lawsuits.
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm We didn't bother with an untreated tap - the amount of salt in the water is minuscule and can't be tasted
We don't either - the point of the salt is to flush the calcium deposits out of the resin, and a minute amount is in the water afterwards. We also test it regularly and the amount of salt doesn't register.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pm

markeg wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm
We don't either - the point of the salt is to flush the calcium deposits out of the resin, and a minute amount is in the water afterwards. We also test it regularly and the amount of salt doesn't register.
That's exactly what i had read. I assume this is the same as your dishwasher and the salt that goes in it.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pmThat's exactly what i had read. I assume this is the same as your dishwasher and the salt that goes in it.
Yes, but if you have a softener you don't need to put salt in the dishwasher!

I had Harvey softeners for over 10 years and they do what they claim to do! But I'm still unimpressed with the smarmy photos of the local agent in my local paper every week. :lol:

They do seem to work well despite that!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 pm Yes, but if you have a softener you don't need to put salt in the dishwasher!
True, but the 'add salt' indicator light on ours annoys me so I still put salt in the dishwasher - I have it at the lowest possible water hardness setting so the dishwasher salt lasts for very long time between refills....
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 pm Yes, but if you have a softener you don't need to put salt in the dishwasher!
True, but the 'add salt' indicator light on ours annoys me so I still put salt in the dishwasher - I have it at the lowest possible water hardness setting so the dishwasher salt lasts for very long time between refills....
Yup, I put it in too, just to avoid the light :lol:
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 pm

mj2k wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pmTrue, but the 'add salt' indicator light on ours annoys me so I still put salt in the dishwasher - I have it at the lowest possible water hardness setting so the dishwasher salt lasts for very long time between refills....

Yup, I put it in too, just to avoid the light
Our dishwashers must have been pretty low spec. - they never had a "low salt" light. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I've been told they rot the heat exchanger (or whatever it is) in the boiler due to the salt and only one manufacturer (Vaillant I think) are safe to use softened water with. This is why we never got one. Is this the case in your experience?

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Carol M wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm I've been told they rot the heat exchanger (or whatever it is) in the boiler due to the salt and only one manufacturer (Vaillant I think) are safe to use softened water with. This is why we never got one. Is this the case in your experience?
Nope. The salt doesn't go through the boiler, it's flushed through the resin into a drainage pipe. No salt comes through the system into the boiler or pipes. This is our one; non-electric and twin tank - twin tank means the resin is flushed separately so you don't lose the soft water supply.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Carol M wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm I've been told they rot the heat exchanger (or whatever it is) in the boiler due to the salt and only one manufacturer (Vaillant I think) are safe to use softened water with. This is why we never got one. Is this the case in your experience?
We had a "Harvey/Kinetico" one some time ago and never had a problem, even though our first was in a house with a Baxi back-boiler which worked fine for 4 years or so?

Just a thought, but did your advice come from a Vaillant salesman?
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am

No, from the Ideal engineer when he came to service the boiler. I'd love to have one fitted, limescale is the bane of my life.