Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Discussing the current generation Z4
Maxsam

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Maxsam » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:02 am

From Google News....
Five ways the next BMW Z4 should improve

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/06/20/five- ... 4-improve/

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:06 am

Interesting thread - I think BMW forgot the "Ultimate Driving Machine" approach with the Z4 and ended up targeting potential SLK buyers instead of potential Boxster/Cayman buyers!

Weight - well an E85 or E86 is significantly lighter than an equivalent E89.

Steering - they managed hydraulic PAS for the E85/E86 M models, so why not for the others?

Manual option - not looking promising given the demographic of potential buyers, and recent BMW history! No manual V10 M5 or M6 in the UK, but offered in the US where auto is normally the default option - who came up with that idea?

Bigger "trunk" space - well E86 had that sorted!

Better Sound Insulation - not a problem with an E86 as it has a proper roof.

So all we need is an updated E86 with the engine from a 140i/240i or even better M2, manual gearbox, hydraulic PAS and a proper roof!

Then I woke up! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:00 am

If the styling image is right then unfortunately it looks like a sophisticated GT convertible not a sports roadster. I'll hang on to my pennies and the E85 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:41 am

Whets with that rear? It looks off to me. To wide, too narrow in height and too long for such a car from the back picture but the camo could be making it look weird too.

The E89 sound insulation is better than a fabric roof job and unless they add lots near the wheels then you'll still get plenty road noise.

After driving a manual for two days, in a proper sporty feeling, quick set up......I forgot how much I missed it. I know the R32 we have is manual but it feels so much different to modern cars.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 am

Angie4m wrote:Whets with that rear? It looks off to me. To wide, too narrow in height and too long for such a car from the back picture but the camo could be making it look weird too.
While test mules are dolled up in pattern disruptive vinyl the manufacturers often overlay additional false body panels to further hide the lines
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Bit early to be judging it when it has'nt broken cover yet no? :?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 am

john-e89 wrote:Bit early to be judging it when it has'nt broken cover yet no? :?
Well maybe, but in keeping with these teasers it may never break cover anyway (and will probably be a dieseasel/hybrid/any other POS imaginable) - so not looking good to be honest. But we'll see.......
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:08 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
john-e89 wrote:Bit early to be judging it when it has'nt broken cover yet no? :?
Well maybe, but in keeping with these teasers it may never break cover anyway (and will probably be a dieseasel/hybrid/any other POS imaginable) - so not looking good to be honest. But we'll see.......
Well if the blog is correct the engine range should be very good, mate them to a sharper, lighter chassis and it sounds like it'll be a very good roadster, still not enough to take on king Boxster but it has to be better than the E89 which I agree with the blog, is getting tired and run it's course for the cost of them. I'm looking forward to the new one, deposit being saved as we speak... :wink:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Marlon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am

Ewazix wrote:If the styling image is right then unfortunately it looks like a sophisticated GT convertible not a sports roadster. I'll hang on to my pennies and the E85 8)
Yeah, this is the way BMW are going (and most other manufacturers of 2 seaters it seems). The 'sports roadster' is fast becoming a thing of the past as the new breed of 2 seaters all compete for the luxury GT market. Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable; many members who have moved from an E85 to an E89 say they'd never go back - as for me I'm sticking with the roadster for as long as I can :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

Marlon wrote:
Ewazix wrote:If the styling image is right then unfortunately it looks like a sophisticated GT convertible not a sports roadster. I'll hang on to my pennies and the E85 8)
Yeah, this is the way BMW are going (and most other manufacturers of 2 seaters it seems). The 'sports roadster' is fast becoming a thing of the past as the new breed of 2 seaters all compete for the luxury GT market. Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable; many members who have moved from an E85 to an E89 say they'd never go back - as for me I'm sticking with the roadster for as long as I can :driving:
They can't better the Porkers can they so I think this is simply a replacement for the E89 and keeping it as you say a luxury GT car albeit lighter and sharper hopefully, arguably the car the E89 should have been. If you want a pure sports car you'll have to look elsewhere than BMW.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

stevo///m3

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by stevo///m3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm

I don't understand why they don't want to offer an M car in the new range. Aside from the current 1 series, the 7 series and X variants, don't they do an M model for each series?
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:I don't understand why they don't want to offer an M car in the new range. Aside from the current 1 series, the 7 series and X variants, don't they do an M model for each series?
Stevo
Yes and the even do a ///M in the X5 and and the X6. So why not one in the Z4. It would sell. They sell M4 verts. I love the sound but honestly, I don't need the extra seats at the moment. I'd quite happily have a mad Z4.

John, if they never try to make something better than the boxter then what's the point? It's almost like the are aiming at a maturing car owning group, the kind who've been there, done that. Want some power but mostly a nice drive on long weekend away in turn pushing people like me to look elsewhere for their next slightly bonkers two seater.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

DumfriesDik

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by DumfriesDik » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Ditto
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Very little about the spy shots or rumoured spec sheet excites me at all. :cry: Here's hoping, if it ever turns up, it turns out better than the rumours. :wink:

skelters

The New Z4 BMW Blog

Post by skelters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Looks like it's to compete with the SLC with a hope to try and get E85 and E86 owners who didn't like the E89 or moved elsewhere to buy into the next generation Z4 or new Z5 as it may be called.

I remember when the E89 was finally revealed then the reviews started coming out. It was a disappointing time!

I know there's E89 owners on here that love the cars but to me it's really really hideous. This is probably going to be the same.

Time to start saving for a Boxster 718 S.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!