Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken strut top mounts.. safe to drive?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 am

https://goo.gl/photos/KtmijTAKKSofitnX7

Please look at this video. I've been plagued with poor ride quality and I've been looking into the control arm bushings which seem fine and the struts and springs which seem fine as well. Would something like what's in the video cause a jarring ride? I just drove a s2000 yesterday and it was smoother than the z4 and I've been told that the z4 is less jarring so I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

Also, is it safe to drive like this?
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

Spikey

Post by Spikey » Sun May 29, 2016 8:43 am

I would say you could drive carefully and not fast if you really needed to get around but excessive tyre wear and pressure on other suspension components will happen if you do this for too long

Also not sure what would happen if you had a complete failure in this area - I would get it fixed as priority

barneybear

Post by barneybear » Sun May 29, 2016 8:50 am

Best get them replaced before it costs more to sort (Tyres etc).

Personally I would also replace both and the other one might be in a similar state and fail apart when removed :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 29, 2016 10:35 am

Well I wouldn't drive it with full circle cracks like that. One good pothole or quick corner, emergency brake, etc. and you'll need a new bonnet or find yourself in a ditch..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Sun May 29, 2016 11:21 am

Definitely not in my opinion. Maybe only very steadily to have it sorted.
No way I would drive mine like that.. :o
2004 2.5,clear fronts,sides,rears,stubby.Self quad conv+rear bumper, Aero's,108's,spacers, cruise, mfsw, 3.0l brake conv,m-tec discs.Modded Z4M bumper

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun May 29, 2016 12:03 pm

I wouldn't. I'd have both sides replaced before I'd ever drive it, plus a full inspection of the suspension components.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun May 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Is there a possibility that they could tear through and give the bonnet a couple of nice raised bumps?? Must check mine
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Was in a crash once when I rolled the car - the suspension top mounts broke and the struts rammed through the bonnet. Albeit not a zed, and a little more extreme that a pothole, but definitely something to monitor and not something I would ignore if failure has started.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Both sides look similarly cracked and I'm surprised i just found out about it. I really wonder how long they've been like that. I recently just drove the car quite spiritedly so I'm pretty sure i was one big pothole away from running the car completely. I wonder if I should just replace the front struts completely. The ride in the zed has been quite jarring and I want to find out if it's just the top supports fault or a combination. I don't have a record of when the struts were last changed but they don't bounce at all so I didn't think they'd need changing. But if I'm gonna have to take them out to swap the supports I might just swap the whole strut altogether.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun May 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Top mounts failing is quite common. Wouldn't drive it looking like that as said. If your Z is closing 100k miles you might find that a full suspension refresh will help the ride - control arms, bushes, struts etc. 100k seems to be the time that lot all needs sorted. Personally I don't know all the bits to change out - never been there yet !
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:44 pm

Really tight on budget right now so what I purchased was the strut top mounts as well as reinforcement plates to keep the tower from mushrooming. When I am doing that job, I will check the condition of the struts. The control arm and related bushings are all in good shape but when I do this job I will do another inspection.

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 pm

decided to replace the struts as well. thinking about leaving m-sport suspension just for riding comfort (i know, blasphemy). is there anything else i need to change other than the springs/struts in order to bring the ride height up to stock suspension (cars without m-sport)?. i'll be leaving the m-sport sway bar for sure.