Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help removing center console storeage box

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Flycaster

Help removing center console storeage box

Post by Flycaster » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm having trouble installing my Dice, via the CD hook up, into my 2005 Z4. I can not get the connector wires out from under center console storeage box. There just isn't any room between the bottom of the box and the firewall, thus the wires are securely jammed between the box and the wall. I've removed the two torqx srews within the box as I was told that it would loosen the box enough to get to the wires, but that never happened. So I'm contemplating removing the box, or at least remove enough parts so that the wires can be gotten to. Here's what I need to know before starting out:

If I follow the center console storeage removal as noted onpages 6 and 7 in this link (http://www.moslanders.com/stuff/alarm.pdf), will this be enough to loosen up the box enough to get to the wires? From the diagrams on page 7, I can't tell if the box will come out or if it will move. My concern is that I may have to also remove the panels behind the seats to get the box tomove. Would appreciate a reply from someone who has do this. Thanks.
2002 TiSil 325i, Step, SP; 2005 Merlot/Tan Z4, 2.5i, Step

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Help removing center console storeage box

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm

If you follow the pictures I took during the first satnav installation I did:

Remove the plastic circle.

There are your wires:

Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Hey, pvr, you are the greatest. Obviously, when you took these pics, you were doing more than just removing the center console. So, just for me to be sure, I only have to remove the console and not the stuff that covers the rear speakers to get tot he wires right? What bugs me, and my apparent poor luck, is how come everyone else who was doing my mod only had to play with the wires to get them to come out to the trunk? What did BMW do to jam the wires in so that they couldn't be easily removed??? A real bummer for an apparently easy mod.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:12 pm

I have never seen the storage boxes behind the seats.....

I have woofers....
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 pm

My wires were so short that I would not have been able to fish them out. The pictures were taken when I was inserting the SatNav DVD in the console, so needed to remove the whole console for that. The car in the pictures (not mine) did not have the carver system.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 pm

That system is a standard six speaker system.

Both HiFi and TopHiFi (Carver) have the woofers behind the seats. 10 speakers..
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:40 pm

BTW, pvr, with the wires showing easy access to the storage compartment of the console box, would you recommend that I try to instlall the Dice and ipod inside the box? I'm not sure how I would do it, but perhaps drilling a couple of hole in the box will allow me to make the connections??? If there would be another way to bring the install inside the box, I'm all ears. If not, then I guess my install would entail placing the wires around the backside of the box and doing the dice/ipod install on the trunk side of the back of the console box??? Overall, I'm thinking which install would make for the easiest access to do repairs if necessary.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

That is what I did for the Intravee kit. Especially as the Intravee is programmable using a laptop, easy access is useful then.

Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm

For that installation, you only have to hinge the centre console so that you can remove the bottom storage box. I drilled a couple of holes in that box at the rear to feed the cables through it.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm

pvr wrote:For that installation, you only have to hinge the centre console so that you can remove the bottom storage box. I drilled a couple of holes in that box at the rear to feed the cables through it.
Could you describe a little better what you mean by "hinge the centre console?" I'm an old fart and need all the help I can get, thanks.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:21 pm

This picture shows it: Lift it up enough so you can get the box out and reach the cables.

Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:19 pm

I don't have it! This is the first mod that has gotten me down. Got down to removing the box, but it won't come out. As far as I can tell the reason is that the box flares on both sides and is thus prevented from coming out because the panels behind the seat have to come out first. I don't know if I want to try to do this??? How tough is it to do? Popping all that plastic is bound to ruin some of the clips (as I have done when removing the console). Maybe I'm better off returning the Dice (trunk install) to Tom and asking him to give me the radio install one??? Or, since the job is about 75% done, maybe a pro wouldn't charge me the full amount to finish. What a bummer!

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:20 am

Holy crap - this has to be the most difficult DICE install I have ever heard about.

A pro is likely to charge you the full amount no matter how far you went into things just because you did but at this point it might be well worth it just to avoid the aggravation of continuing at this rate.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:44 am

Flycaster wrote:I don't have it! This is the first mod that has gotten me down. Got down to removing the box, but it won't come out. As far as I can tell the reason is that the box flares on both sides and is thus prevented from coming out because the panels behind the seat have to come out first. I don't know if I want to try to do this??? How tough is it to do? Popping all that plastic is bound to ruin some of the clips (as I have done when removing the console). Maybe I'm better off returning the Dice (trunk install) to Tom and asking him to give me the radio install one??? Or, since the job is about 75% done, maybe a pro wouldn't charge me the full amount to finish. What a bummer!
I used PVR's instruction when I did my SatNav, and I couldnt get this little bugger out either so left it in place, it doesnt need to come out to remove the centre panel. :D