Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alpina drivers: Does your engine have an idlespeed actuator?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Daniel_F.

Alpina drivers: Does your engine have an idlespeed actuator?

Post by Daniel_F. » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Hello guys,

i hope i´m not getting intrusive for asking all those questions, but as it seems there are quite some alpina users here, it may be a good resource and possibility to gather information.

My current question, and it should be much easier to be answered as the one regarding the vanos system, does your car have an/the idlespeed actuator?

I had a look at the alpina parts catalogue and its not covered there at all. If it doesn´t have one, that would be a game-changer for our development. :o

SamUK

Re: Alpina drivers: Does your engine have an idlespeed actua

Post by SamUK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:35 am

Daniel_F. wrote:Hello guys,

i hope i´m not getting intrusive for asking all those questions, but as it seems there are quite some alpina users here, it may be a good resource and possibility to gather information.

My current question, and it should be much easier to be answered as the one regarding the vanos system, does your car have an/the idlespeed actuator?

I had a look at the alpina parts catalogue and its not covered there at all. If it doesn´t have one, that would be a game-changer for our development. :o

I have an Alpina and have no idea..

maybe worth asking on the Alpina Forum..

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:04 pm

IIRC the Alpina engine in the E85 is shared with the B3S and the E46, and the E46 has a idle control valve - however, without removing airbox, MAF, I couldn't say for sure. As Sam points out, the Alpina forum is probably your best bet, as there is a lot of experience on that forum with Alpina engines.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Daniel_F.

Post by Daniel_F. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Unfortunally they don´t accept my registration ;)

toledo

Post by toledo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Daniel_F. wrote:Unfortunally they don´t accept my registration ;)
When I registered it took a good few days for it to be accepted so hang in there and I'm sure your registration will be accepted in the next few days.

I also have an Alpina Roadster S but I'm afraid I have no idea about the answer to your question. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Daniel_F. wrote:My current question, and it should be much easier to be answered as the one regarding the vanos system, does your car have an/the idlespeed actuator?
Yesterday we changed the VANOS nuts on my Roadster S (Alpina recommends this).

And YES - the Roadster S has the idlespeed actuator.
Alpina Roadster S #203 - color: sterling grey - 19" CSL - upholstery: leather red

zedwheels

Post by zedwheels » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:55 pm

AlpinaRoadsterS wrote:
Daniel_F. wrote:My current question, and it should be much easier to be answered as the one regarding the vanos system, does your car have an/the idlespeed actuator?
Yesterday we changed the VANOS nuts on my Roadster S (Alpina recommends this).

And YES - the Roadster S has the idlespeed actuator.
Hi. That's interesting about the vanos nuts, is it a DIY job or a garage visit? and whats the reason for Alpina's recommendation?
Don't know what it does but at least i now know i have an actuator. :D

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 pm

The VANOS nuts wear out - because this engine is a long stroke engine. So on long terms the engine vibrations wear out the nuts. Worst case the input camshift get loose - result is engine death.

You can order the 3 nuts and 3 special washers from Alpina.
Then you need a VANOS gasket and a valve cover gasket - both original BMW parts.

You need some Alpina special tools (a crankshaft locking pin & input camshift locking) and a normal BMW output camshift locking tool.

@ zedwheels: send me via PN your E-Mail and I can send you pictures and the Alpina mounting instruction.
Alpina Roadster S #203 - color: sterling grey - 19" CSL - upholstery: leather red

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:23 am

AlpinaRoadsterS, can you send me the pics etc also? Will PM my email address...
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 am

markeg wrote:AlpinaRoadsterS, can you send me the pics etc also? Will PM my email address...
Me too please - I've PM'd you my email address :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Big Red Cat

Post by Big Red Cat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 am

and me please (PM sent). How often do Alpina recommend doing this? Is it part of the service schedule or something extra?
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:46 am

@ Big Red Cat: You have E-Mail
@ markeg: You have E-Mail

The job is done in 2 1/2 hours with no hurry. It's not a DIY-job.

It should be done one time, then everything is ok.It's not part of a service schedule, you have to ask for it extra.
Same should be done also for Alpina B3 and B3S with this engine.

Please keep the 3 "old" nuts for pictures, if you let repair your Roadster S.
If would be nice to compare the old nuts depending on the mileage. THANKS.

toledo

Post by toledo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:48 am

Are there any symptoms/noises/rattles we can look out for that would suggest it needs doing? Slightly worried now after you said worst case engine death :o

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 am

toledo wrote:Are there any symptoms/noises/rattles we can look out for that would suggest it needs doing? Slightly worried now after you said worst case engine death :o
It's like the Alpina B8 and B10 4.6 cylinder head gasket. Original the is a organic gasket in the engine and after some broken engines Alpina figuered out, the owners should change to a metal gasket.
Same with the Vanos nuts. In the german alpina forum Christian Klotzbücher (Alpina employee) wrote 5 years ago:
Grundsätzlich eine Aussage darüber zu machen, ob man die Verschraubung des Einlaß-Nockenwellenzahnrads umrüsten soll oder nicht, kann nicht 100%ig beantwortet werden. Fahrzeuge, die überwiegend im Langstreckenbetrieb bewegt werden, haben weniger Verschleiß an dieser Stelle als Kurzstreckenfahrzeuge, da die VANOS weniger hin- und her schaltet.
Der Aufwand der Prüfung/Umrüstung ist relativ gering, die Unterlegscheiben, welche wir selber anfertigen und die M6-Mütterchen kosten rund 33,-
Google translate:
Basically to make a statement as to whether to convert the screw connection of intake camshaft gear or not, can not be answered 100%. Vehicles that are moved mainly in long-distance operation, have less wear and tear at this point as a short-haul vehicles because the VANOS less back and forth on.
The cost of testing / conversion is relatively low, the washers, which we make ourselves and the M6 nuts costs around 33 Euro

toledo

Post by toledo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:05 am

AlpinaRoadsterS wrote:
toledo wrote:Are there any symptoms/noises/rattles we can look out for that would suggest it needs doing? Slightly worried now after you said worst case engine death :o
It's like the Alpina B8 and B10 4.6 cylinder head gasket. Original the is a organic gasket in the engine and after some broken engines Alpina figuered out, the owners should change to a metal gasket.
Same with the Vanos nuts. In the german alpina forum Christian Klotzbücher (Alpina employee) wrote 5 years ago:
Grundsätzlich eine Aussage darüber zu machen, ob man die Verschraubung des Einlaß-Nockenwellenzahnrads umrüsten soll oder nicht, kann nicht 100%ig beantwortet werden. Fahrzeuge, die überwiegend im Langstreckenbetrieb bewegt werden, haben weniger Verschleiß an dieser Stelle als Kurzstreckenfahrzeuge, da die VANOS weniger hin- und her schaltet.
Der Aufwand der Prüfung/Umrüstung ist relativ gering, die Unterlegscheiben, welche wir selber anfertigen und die M6-Mütterchen kosten rund 33,-
Google translate:
Basically to make a statement as to whether to convert the screw connection of intake camshaft gear or not, can not be answered 100%. Vehicles that are moved mainly in long-distance operation, have less wear and tear at this point as a short-haul vehicles because the VANOS less back and forth on.
The cost of testing / conversion is relatively low, the washers, which we make ourselves and the M6 nuts costs around 33 Euro
Ok thanks very much. I will get this done as soon as possible just to be safe and put my mind at rest. :thumbsup: