Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Air Intake Options / Benefits / Problems?

"M" Specific discussion
StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Air Intake Options / Benefits / Problems?

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:12 pm

OK, so given the recent arrival of the Eventuri VAI Carbon Intake, I am seriously tempted to move away from my OEM intake.

I know the GruppeM has been discussed in direct comparison and at the moment it is tough to tell whether the Eventuri will be any better (in terms of performance rather than sound). Have GruppeM owners experienced any power gains, or just a nicer intake growl?

I've read a few threads where owners were reporting power losses with the GruppeM?

Has the GruppeM caused any issues? I know Popey had issues when the GruppeM was installed, but ultimately the cause was traced elsewhere I believe?

What other alternatives are there (short of going for a CSL or CSL style system)?

I'm not really expecting any noticeable gains, but if I can maintain power / throttle response and smoothness of power delivery with a meaner induction growl I'll be pretty chuffed.
Last edited by StevenH72 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

JAD

Re: Z4M Air Intake options?

Post by JAD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:54 pm

My arse dyno suggests my Gruppe M has increased smiles...

But in terms of real world gains, to be honest, I have no idea. It's quicker and more lively than my S3 and I'm only a few months into ownership, thus still learning the car. That's why I'm tempted by the Eventuri open day, in the hope I can get there early and nab a run on the dyno to show results.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:59 pm

I bought mine purely to balance the exhaust. Works to a point.

Think I'll have to go to either CSL-style airbox or trumpets/stacks with an Alpha-N tune - or go the whole hog and get a supercharger :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I really, really want a csl box :cry:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

ba3bas

Post by ba3bas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I know of a Geoff steel one for sale
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

JimmiVW

Re: Z4M Air Intake Options / Benefits / Problems?

Post by JimmiVW » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

ba3bas - is the Geoff Steel one Z4M specific or the one that's currently on M3 cutters??? :thumbsup:

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:48 pm

JimmiVW wrote:ba3bas - is the Geoff Steel one Z4M specific or the one that's currently on M3 cutters??? :thumbsup:
There isn't a Z4 specific one so presume he means the Cutters one. Looks good, but bit of a risk as to if it'll fit the Zed correctly, different air intake position and all that.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

JimmiVW

Post by JimmiVW » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Cheers AndyBeech - regarding 'Z4 specific' - repositioned snorkel - are we looking at Roy at CA again (who seems to get all my pocket money!!!)
http://www.ca-int.co.uk/products-Y2FyX2 ... xNzc=.html

As per TomK on this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74518

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:57 pm

JimmiVW wrote:Cheers AndyBeech - regarding 'Z4 specific' - repositioned snorkel - are we looking at Roy at CA again (who seems to get all my pocket money!!!)

If you've got that kinda money to burn then fair play to you, wish I had! Remember CA's is a copy though and don't think it has the 'flap' the CSL box does. Also you'll need to factor in a Alpha N tune to get the most out of the box, all in over £2000 Id imagine!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:08 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
JimmiVW wrote:Cheers AndyBeech - regarding 'Z4 specific' - repositioned snorkel - are we looking at Roy at CA again (who seems to get all my pocket money!!!)

If you've got that kinda money to burn then fair play to you, wish I had! Remember CA's is a copy though and don't think it has the 'flap' the CSL box does. Also you'll need to factor in a Alpha N tune to get the most out of the box, all in over £2000 Id imagine!
Andy, how do you find your GruppeM?
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

JimmiVW

Post by JimmiVW » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Andy - agreed, it ain't cheap and the new Eventuri job looks like good value - I'll keep you all posted if anything progresses!!!
- Geoff Steel is a 'copy' too if we're being specific, and I'm not sure the flap does all that much in real world terms, it's pretty trick though 8)

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 pm

JimmiVW wrote:Andy - agreed, it ain't cheap and the new Eventuri job looks like good value - I'll keep you all posted if anything progresses!!!
- Geoff Steel is a 'copy' too if we're being specific, and I'm not sure the flap does all that much in real world terms, it's pretty trick though 8)
Indeed it is a copy, no idea on respective quality of either, only what I've read on Cutters. Either way it's a lot of dough but fair play if you get one, no doubt would sound epic!

Steve: The Gruppe for me is ideal, not outrageously expensive and I suspect gets a similar sound to the CSL box obviously not as good as you still have the original intake manifold box. But everyone I've been out with loves the sound, loud when giving it the beans. Haven't had any performance issues of note, or to be fair gains that I've noted specifically. I'm sure a remap of sorts would release some more performance from it but for me it was all about the sound so in that respect it was a no brainer. From the videos I've seen (not ideal as in the flesh) the Gruppe appears to be a bit louder than the Evolve one but hard to say without hearing both in the flesh.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
JimmiVW wrote:Andy - agreed, it ain't cheap and the new Eventuri job looks like good value - I'll keep you all posted if anything progresses!!!
Indeed it is a copy, no idea on respective quality of either, only what I've read on Cutters. Either way it's a lot of dough but fair play if you get one, no doubt would sound epic!

Steve: The Gruppe for me is ideal, not outrageously expensive and I suspect gets a similar sound to the CSL box obviously not as good as you still have the original intake manifold box. But everyone I've been out with loves the sound, loud when giving it the beans. Haven't had any performance issues of note, or to be fair gains that I've noted specifically. I'm sure a remap of sorts would release some more performance from it but for me it was all about the sound so in that respect it was a no brainer. From the videos I've seen (not ideal as in the flesh) the Gruppe appears to be a bit louder than the Evolve one but hard to say without hearing both in the flesh.
Yeh, obviously Evolve claim gains of 10hp, but it's really the sound that I'm after. If I get better sound and no negatives performance outcomes I'll be a happy boy.

tertius

Post by tertius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:04 pm

I had a Gruppe M and removed it, going back to the standard air box. I have noticed absolutely no difference in power and I'm completely indifferent to the sound.

I do seem to be in a minority of one though.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm

tertius wrote:I had a Gruppe M and removed it, going back to the standard air box. I have noticed absolutely no difference in power and I'm completely indifferent to the sound.

I do seem to be in a minority of one though.
Ah OK, so between the GruppeM and OEM you've noticed nothing at all? No benefits from removing the GruppeM and no benefits when installing?

The sound of the Eventuri VAI carbon intakes is what I really want to hear first hand at the open day before I take the plunge.