Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road trip holidays ?

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Paulwirral

Road trip holidays ?

Post by Paulwirral » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Anyone else using their car to go on holiday ?
After my trip to dordogne , ring , back to dordogne then back to the Wirral we are going back to dordogne holiday house , onwards to San Sebastián for a drunken day of tapas and cheap bino , then back to Biarritz for a couple of nights of very expensive vino and beers .
I should cover around 2500 miles there , back and running around to airports to pick up the wife .
A couple of others on here have road trips sorted :thumbsup: is anyone else gonna use their car to travel or are you just gonna be polishing them on the drive :rofl:

johnnnnnnyy

Re: Road trip holidays ?

Post by johnnnnnnyy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:59 pm

I've got back from a 2 day buisness trip to Antwerp in Belgium. I was going to take my big cruiser but saw weather was great so grabbed the keys to the Z. Brighton to Ashford - car on Euro Tunnel, Calais to Antwerp in lovely 33C temperatures. Returned home for following day, and what a lovely blast it was.
Didn't see one other Z whilst in France or Belgium?

Also our Z's are dam wide cars, while driving on the Euro tunnel train you have to be really careful not to catch the rims on the metal curbs either side. Other cars seemed to have plenty of room, not the Z though!
Last edited by johnnnnnnyy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:21 am

I thought the same on the tunnel , use it probably 8 times a year , first time with a z was , this is tighter than normal :o and I know where your coming from with the lack of z in mainland Europe , I drove up to the ring from France and never saw one in 11 hours , including getting lost :rofl: only saw 3 at the ring in 3days as well , but I must say these cars are great out of the box on a track , best time I've had round the ring in ten years :thumbsup: looking forward to next years trip already

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:58 am

Recently did a roadtrip to morzine (hired a chalet as a base) then drove to geneva and Basel to see friends. It must be the fifth roadtrip I've done with the z4, not the most comfortable of cars, but you can't beat the views with the roof down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 am

End of June had 5 days & 800 miles around Netherlands. :driving:
Got a few admiring glances, car very comfortable & never missed a beat. :thumbsup:
Didn't see another E85, only 1 e89.

johnnnnnnyy

Post by johnnnnnnyy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:21 am

Another thing I noticed instantly (especially my car being lowered with stiff springs) was how smooth the French and Belgium motorways where, this made the journey more pleasurable. As soon as I got back to the UK on the M20, M25, M23 I was bouncing and bumping around everywhere. If the journey was like this all the time I would have had terrible fatigue.
My big cruiser usually eats these bumps up, so never really noticed in the past as I drive across Europe a lot.

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:22 pm

johnnnnnnyy wrote:Another thing I noticed instantly (especially my car being lowered with stiff springs) was how smooth the French and Belgium motorways where, this made the journey more pleasurable. As soon as I got back to the UK on the M20, M25, M23 I was bouncing and bumping around everywhere. If the journey was like this all the time I would have had terrible fatigue.
My big cruiser usually eats these bumps up, so never really noticed in the past as I drive across Europe a lot.
It's like someone changed the tyres back to run flats and set the shocks at rock hard on the train , our roads are appalling compared to France . Last return trip I said to her beside me how surprised I was at the comfort and noise levels of a z , then we drove into England :(

Larsbjerregaard

Post by Larsbjerregaard » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

My wife and I just took a 1000 mile road trip in Germany. Started in the "Harz" region and went from town to town. We just booked the next hotel on my Ipad before we left every morning. After a week we ended our trip in Berlin where we stayed a couple days (Z in the hotel garage of course :D ) Roof down all the way (except when doing 120+ on the Autobahn :lol: )
2004 Z4 3.0 M54 Steptronic | Sterling Grey, M-sport suspension, Heated M-sport seats, Satnav, Clear lights, Comfort Pack | Mods: 8x18+9x18 M6GC wheels w/ Pirelli P Zero | Gaptech RCH+ | Xcarstyle Comfort Light | I6 DISA upgrade | Lots of LEDs |

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:14 pm

ranski wrote:Recently did a roadtrip to morzine (hired a chalet as a base) then drove to geneva and Basel to see friends. It must be the fifth roadtrip I've done with the z4, not the most comfortable of cars, but you can't beat the views with the roof down

Love that area. Lived in Les Gets for 3 winter seasons, although I had my Defender then, not the Z4. Always wanted to go back in the summer!
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:39 pm

We went to the Monaco Grand Prix this year. I live in France near Cognac, and we have a mobile home next to Port Grimaud ( opposite St Tropez ). So we drove down on Thursday. Day on the beach Friday. Then we drove in Saturday for qualifying and Sunday for the race. Monaco is about 1.5 hours from Port Grimaud and I thought it might be bad on the road in but it was a piece of cake. Already had parking organized. And your right. There are not many Zed's in France. Even though I was in a sub £5000 10 year old Zed. We still turned heads. It was bloody brilliant. Best birthday present ever for my 50th. Total miles 1374.

Punter

Post by Punter » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Paul. I'm in le touquet in the rain on the way to calais for the tunnel tomorrow. Spent last 2 weeks in Belgium, germany (porsche museum and bmw world), austria, italian lakes and back up through france. Bavarian alps and austrian roads a highlight. Loving every minute. Z has been a dream. Tips - motorways are expensive (especially Italy) but a must for the odd blast and you only need to pack half of what you think you need! Trivago app very handy. If you want to know routes and hotels- let me know.

Sprint

Post by Sprint » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 pm

We did 1000 mile trip to devon last month with another booked to Wales in September can't wait. :driving: yes it gets polished but there practical tourers,
2005 2.0 Z4 bright red ZHP 108's,M sport leather,aux in.

Sprint

Post by Sprint » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Forgot to mention up until earlier this year we used to tour on motorbike (triumph sprint gt) so are used to packing compactly.
2005 2.0 Z4 bright red ZHP 108's,M sport leather,aux in.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Hopefully a trip up to Scotland then out to Skye and around some Highlands with a bunch of other Forumites in August... If I can persuade everyone it can be done in two days, can plan it from Kent, still have petrol money after the summer holiday, and someone with a decent satnav can lead :lol:

Should work out at about 1,600 miles for me and Wee Bing.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 pm

CornishRob wrote:
ranski wrote:Recently did a roadtrip to morzine (hired a chalet as a base) then drove to geneva and Basel to see friends. It must be the fifth roadtrip I've done with the z4, not the most comfortable of cars, but you can't beat the views with the roof down

Love that area. Lived in Les Gets for 3 winter seasons, although I had my Defender then, not the Z4. Always wanted to go back in the summer!

Yes, defo worth a trip in the summer season, cheap aswell. hired a huge chalet for a 1/4 of the price. also a good location to access Switzerland

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention