Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power folding mirrors have stopped working

"M" Specific discussion
Babw

Post by Babw » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can help with diagnosing the mirror problem.

Z4M with powerfolding mirrors which suddenly stopped folding. All the other functions still work for both sides. Checked and replaced the fuse (27) with no luck.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Hopefully you can resolve this problem (apologies i have no advice!).

In case you need to replace them (hopefully not needed!), i have a pair of power folding mirrors (+ the module which is needed for install) for sale.

Babw

Post by Babw » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Scaramanga wrote:Hopefully you can resolve this problem (apologies i have no advice!).

In case you need to replace them (hopefully not needed!), i have a pair of power folding mirrors (+ the module which is needed for install) for sale.
I'll keep that in mind. Would be surprised if they're the mirrors themselves as both have stopped simultaneously.

I'm more inclined towards the actual switch (although the glass adjustments are working for both sides) or a wire somewhere.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Makes sense. Fingers crossed easy fix!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Babw wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:Hopefully you can resolve this problem (apologies i have no advice!).

I'll keep that in mind. Would be surprised if they're the mirrors themselves as both have stopped simultaneously.

I'm more inclined towards the actual switch (although the glass adjustments are working for both sides) or a wire somewhere.
Could be the switch, it's separate to the mirror control. It may be worth trying an electrical spray cleaner on it. I had this on an old 5 series that my mum had, a couple of the windows didn't work from the main switch, so plied the buttons with WD40 and after a few button movements they came back to life
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:23 pm

I would get someone to run a diagnostic check to communicate with the mirror fold module to see if it's ok. Otherwise check switch and wiring if fuse hasn't blown. Might be for some reason need coding again to activate it.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Babw

Post by Babw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 pm

mac27040 wrote:I would get someone to run a diagnostic check to communicate with the mirror fold module to see if it's ok. Otherwise check switch and wiring if fuse hasn't blown. Might be for some reason need coding again to activate it.
Would it be INPA I'd use to check the module? I'm sure I've got that on a laptop somewhere.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Iona might show any errors, I use DIS v57 for diagnostics which also give options. You might ncsexpert to check if option needs re-activating
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 am

firebobby wrote: Could be the switch, it's separate to the mirror control. It may be worth trying an electrical spray cleaner on it. I had this on an old 5 series that my mum had, a couple of the windows didn't work from the main switch, so plied the buttons with WD40 and after a few button movements they came back to life
If condensation forms on the cold drink you have in the cup holder, then it can drip down on the buttons.
I have thought that this could cause damage... here we might have the answer?
Try some electrical cleaner.
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC

Babw

Post by Babw » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Yeddheng wrote:
firebobby wrote: Could be the switch, it's separate to the mirror control. It may be worth trying an electrical spray cleaner on it. I had this on an old 5 series that my mum had, a couple of the windows didn't work from the main switch, so plied the buttons with WD40 and after a few button movements they came back to life
If condensation forms on the cold drink you have in the cup holder, then it can drip down on the buttons.
Don't have a cup holder but I'd be surprised if it's not a wire/switch issue.

To look at the switch is it just a case of slipping a card under the switch module and lifting it?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Babw wrote:
Yeddheng wrote:
Don't have a cup holder but I'd be surprised if it's not a wire/switch issue.

To look at the switch is it just a case of slipping a card under the switch module and lifting it?
I would get some electrical cleaner and spray it into the switch as it may be gummed up, you can do this without removing the switch.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Babw

Post by Babw » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Tried spraying contact cleaner and operating the switch multiple times with no luck.

I think the next step is to check the wiring to the switch itself. What's the best way to take the switch out?

Rjblais

Post by Rjblais » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 am

Hi. I fixed the same problem with my 2005 Z4. There is a short in the circuit board of the switch at the pin for that function. The pin is #2 on the right top when looking at the board's solder side (with the large set of pins facing up- same position as in the arm rest).

Use a small soldering iron to heat up that pin socket and move the pin down and back to get a good connection with the pin's trace.
Confirm with an ohm meter. It is a simple, easy, clean task.

Richard from Canada.