Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

S54 rod bearing

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

S54 rod bearing

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:23 pm

craig3.2 wrote:Hey,been a wee while since we have seen a sixspeed post,welcome back.
How is your lovely coupe these days?
I'd imagine that's a bit of a sore point at the moment! Read a page back.
Sorry to see sixspeed :(
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Ouch,hope t gets fixed OK :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

sixspeed

S54 rod bearing

Post by sixspeed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:31 pm

craig3.2 wrote:
sixspeed wrote:Yeah that video doesn't make easy watching. It also shows just how little (no!) warning you get of failure.

I recommend the vibratechnics mounts. Run.full race mounts on my Z and honestly, the increased NVH is negligible, but it improves the feel of the drivetrain no end.
Hey,been a wee while since we have seen a sixspeed post,welcome back.

Yeah I don't frequent the forums much anymore but still loving the car. Sadly the reason I'm in this thread is, as TomK points out, a few pages back. But it'll be back on the road again shortly after a rebuild, albeit with my wallet feeling a bit lighter!

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 pm

sixspeed wrote:
craig3.2 wrote:
sixspeed wrote:Yeah that video doesn't make easy watching. It also shows just how little (no!) warning you get of failure.

I recommend the vibratechnics mounts. Run.full race mounts on my Z and honestly, the increased NVH is negligible, but it improves the feel of the drivetrain no end.
Hey,been a wee while since we have seen a sixspeed post,welcome back.

Yeah I don't frequent the forums much anymore but still loving the car. Sadly the reason I'm in this thread is, as TomK points out, a few pages back. But it'll be back on the road again shortly after a rebuild, albeit with my wallet feeling a bit lighter!
Good luck and hope it doesn't take you for all your hard earned cash. :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

FD3S

S54 rod bearing

Post by FD3S » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 am

Your video and a past post of ga41 it is the reason I convinced to change them the soonest possible. Better safe than sorry.
I hope you will get your car back soon and thanks for the advice.

sixspeed

S54 rod bearing

Post by sixspeed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:42 pm

FD3S wrote:

Your video and a past post of ga41 it is the reason I convinced to change them the soonest possible. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks. Found out today its being delivered back into the UK this Friday (to GSR). Unfortunately Will, the engine builder, is over at Imola for a couple of weeks, so still won't be stripped til first week November. But will keep all informed of the outcome..

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by MrPT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Hope the damage isn't too bad, i.e. you come out of it thinking you've had a lucky escape and a timely "100k refresh" of the bottom end. Previous owner had the bearing shells replaced on mine as part of investigative work for what turned out to be a top end failure. 50k and they were well into the copper!

Love the way you guys laugh all the way through that video, BTW. You've done millions of laps of The Ring and are still having an awesome time... the fact that your engine implodes doesn't seem to stop the laughter either. :D
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

FD3S

S54 rod bearing

Post by FD3S » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Has anybody read some positive review or any complaints about the WPC rod bearings?

I have seen this offer and I am thinking of it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-M_Road ... ngs_22412/

pHilli0

S54 rod bearing

Post by pHilli0 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:51 pm

FD3S wrote:Has anybody read some positive review or any complaints about the WPC rod bearings?

Why not just replace with OEM?
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

FD3S

S54 rod bearing

Post by FD3S » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 pm

pHilli0 wrote:
FD3S wrote:Has anybody read some positive review or any complaints about the WPC rod bearings?

Why not just replace with OEM?
My main opinion is for OEM, but in case there are reviews that this is something better I will consider it too.

Argenta

S54 rod bearing

Post by Argenta » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 am

Hmm I'm thinking I should get mine done.
Everything runs sweetly as ever but with 178000km's...
What seems to be the std fare for the job in UK?

Yorkie Z

S54 rod bearing

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:48 am

Argenta wrote:Hmm I'm thinking I should get mine done.
I believe around £700.
A Dirty M///

pHilli0

S54 rod bearing

Post by pHilli0 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:28 am

Yorkie Z wrote:
Argenta wrote:Hmm I'm thinking I should get mine done.
I believe around £700.
Give or take a few hundred.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

Mikey_Boy

S54 rod bearing

Post by Mikey_Boy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:45 pm

sixspeed wrote:
FD3S wrote:

Thanks. Found out today its being delivered back into the UK this Friday (to GSR). Unfortunately Will, the engine builder, is over at Imola for a couple of weeks, so still won't be stripped til first week November. But will keep all informed of the outcome..
I just watched this - oooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh. You get *NO* warning at all on the failure but well caught all the same. Mine's coming up to 70k miles so I'll be getting mine done sharpish - I had VANOS done as well recently as a precaution so it makes sense to make it as bullet proof as possible.

Anyone have any views on using ARP rod bolts?? 8)

FD3S

S54 rod bearing

Post by FD3S » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Mikey_Boy wrote:
Anyone have any views on using ARP rod bolts?? 8)
I have read mixed reviews for the ARP rod bolts, so I decided to go with the OEM in there too.