Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can cruise be retrofitted?

"M" Specific discussion
ian in lancs

Can cruise be retrofitted?

Post by ian in lancs » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I've found a 2007 Z4M at a dealer - has everything I want except Cruise control. Can it be retrofitted? I have it on my current Z4 a 2004 2.5SE so I guess if its possible I like to swop it over. So, can it be retrofitted, do you have part numbers if I need to buy or access to instructions etc. I need evidence to speak to the dealer. I remeber Z4um posts saying it was plug and play but obviously can't access it grrr! I have looked on realoem parts catalogue but it isn't listed for a Z4m - only for the other models and yet it's an option on all Z4's incl the M's. I hoping the wiring loom is there on all cars whatever the model and thus a switch and cover is all that's required.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Someone more informed than me will be along, but I seem to recall that older models were pre-wired for it, so all you needed was the stick and you were all set.

I gather on newer models the wiring isn't in place - so you have more of a job to retro-fit ... but seem to remember that it can be done.

D.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:59 pm

From memory it can be only be retro-fitted on cars up to 2004.

It definitely can't be retro-fitted to an ///M unfortunately (well, not plug and play anyway, not sure about getting the dealer to do it, but as usual they probably won't be interested, or will try and charge you a fortune).

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Dealer has told me it can be done! So deposit paid, refundable if it can't. The 'master technician' was convinced its possible. They've raised a tech query with BMW anyway. So if they actually do it I'll tell everyone the dealer so you can get it fitted there too!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:52 pm

ian in lancs good news, interesting to see if they can do it.

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 am

I'd be interested in the outcome of this, as I was disappointed when I learned that the "stick&go" retro-fit wasn't applicable to the ///M's....

Not that I'd use it that often, but for those long motorway trips to the 'Ring, it would be nice! :)

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:05 am

big time interested in this too.. mainly to keep my license..

=)

GP20

Post by GP20 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:27 am

Wow I'm very interested in this too! My dealer and the BMW field engineer also told me it can't be done on the S54. Hopefully they were wrong.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Andy wrote:big time interested in this too.. mainly to keep my license..
Heh. I find the cruise pretty useless except for SPECS speed cameras where it's dead handy to lock yourself in at 50 and trundle along.

Radar based CC would be awesome, and I'd use that all the time.

D.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:01 pm

Bad news I'm afraid. They've shown me the email back from BMW technical. Definately can't be done on the Z4M :-( or the 2.0litre version. So they've offered to refund the deposit I've paid. So definitive, in writing answer is No, Nowt, No Way!!! Now I've got to make a decision do I go for the car without or wait for one with cruise....

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:17 pm

I find cruise really useful on the annual trip to Provence, open French motorways, point the car at the sun, pick the speed you dare, set the cruise, sit back and enjoy the view and watch the outside temp rise! It's also really useful for specs camera's etc in roadworks and late night Motorway runs to see the parents.

Back roads in France or here in UK, especially Lakes, N Yorks, Dales cruise doesn't get used much....

I quite like the mercedes benz speed limiter approach too; set the max stay out of trouble... just!

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:19 pm

ian in lancs
Would you really need it? Do you do a lot of motorway driving?

As I mentioned, it's good for SPECS cameras but not much else. Drivers on UK motorways tend to speed up and slow down so you keep coming on and off the CC anyway.

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:34 pm

I would really like cruise - I had it my Cooper S and Audi and used it quite a lot - can I retrofit it to my 2003 2.5i??
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Z4 Forum AMW wrote:I would really like cruise - I had it my Cooper S and Audi and used it quite a lot - can I retrofit it to my 2003 2.5i??
Yup... easily. You just need the stick, basically. All the wiring is already there.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 pm

ian in lancs wrote:Bad news I'm afraid. They've shown me the email back from BMW technical. Definately can't be done on the Z4M :-( or the 2.0litre version. So they've offered to refund the deposit I've paid. So definitive, in writing answer is No, Nowt, No Way!!! Now I've got to make a decision do I go for the car without or wait for one with cruise....
Sory to hear that mate.

Personally, if you're happy with the car otherwise you might as well get it, when I was looking for a roadster over a period of 6 months or so, I saw IIRC three or four with cruise out of a total of maybe 50-odd.