Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Air Intake Options / Benefits / Problems?

"M" Specific discussion
tertius

Re: Z4M Air Intake Options / Benefits / Problems?

Post by tertius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 pm

StevenH72 wrote:
tertius wrote:I had a Gruppe M and removed it, going back to the standard air box. I have noticed absolutely no difference in power and I'm completely indifferent to the sound.

I do seem to be in a minority of one though.
Ah OK, so between the GruppeM and OEM you've noticed nothing at all? No benefits from removing the GruppeM and no benefits when installing?

The sound of the Eventuri VAI carbon intakes is what I really want to hear first hand at the open day before I take the plunge.
It was already fitted when I bought the car, so I only have the "Gruppe M -> standard airbox" experience to compare.

But yes, no noticeable difference at all in performance, response, etc.. I haven't had it tested in any objective way so it is purely my personal impression - I do a fair few track days so it gets to stretch its legs.

tomas6791

Post by tomas6791 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:01 pm

tertius wrote:I had a Gruppe M and removed it, going back to the standard air box. I have noticed absolutely no difference in power and I'm completely indifferent to the sound.

I was about to order that,thanks for sharing your experience.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:10 pm

tomas6791 wrote:

I was about to order that,thanks for sharing your experience.
Before you decide have a listen: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71268

Never get that sound with a standard airbox, totally different and very addictive. Not everyone's cup of tea though obviously!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Adding 10 bhp to a 338 bhp is only adding about 3%, are you really going to notice the difference :idunno:

Mine going in for its Inspection 2 on the 19th March after which I will be fitting the GruppeM.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Happy to take you out in mine (with GruppeM). Initially I was a little underwhelmed (I thought it'd be like my old CSL...it's about 70%), but now I love it...it's perfect balance, just the right amount of induction noise when on it. I would 100% recommend it.

You do find yourself driving a little more aggressively though to hear it at work. Which to me is a good thing.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:43 pm

srhutch wrote:Adding 10 bhp to a 338 bhp is only adding about 3%, are you really going to notice the difference :idunno:

Mine going in for its Inspection 2 on the 19th March after which I will be fitting the GruppeM.
Also BHP doesn't translate to torque which is far more important in my eyes :D
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:51 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
srhutch wrote:Adding 10 bhp to a 338 bhp is only adding about 3%, are you really going to notice the difference :idunno:

Also BHP doesn't translate to torque which is far more important in my eyes :D
Indeed and unless that is substantial again you won't notice it. Noise is what I'm after.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Just out of interest, why GruppeM and not the Eventuri?
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Angelus666 wrote:Happy to take you out in mine (with GruppeM). Initially I was a little underwhelmed (I thought it'd be like my old CSL...it's about 70%), but now I love it...it's perfect balance, just the right amount of induction noise when on it. I would 100% recommend it.

You do find yourself driving a little more aggressively though to hear it at work. Which to me is a good thing.
Sounds good :thumbsup: where abouts are you based? Would love to have a ride along
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:27 pm

StevenH72 wrote:

Because I bought it in October :lol:

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 pm

srhutch wrote:
StevenH72 wrote:

Because I bought it in October :lol:
Seems very rational :thumbsup:

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm

To be honest, in my opinion, if your after real life performance gains with any of these kits....your gonna be disappointed. As much as I respect what Evolve have done with their kit, I'm pretty sceptic what the kit alone would give you in performance despite the claims. Along with a remap maybe you'd get a very slight noticeable increase but for me these induction kits are all about releasing the noise of the S54 which is epic. From what Ive seen and can tell so far the Gruppe releases that sound similar to the CSL box, at a fraction of the cost, and that's why I'm pretty cuffed with mine :)

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm just outside Harlow in Essex, so if you're near then more than happy to give you the comparison....wait until March 9th and you can see what a brand new gearbox feels like too! :D

Eventuri

Post by Eventuri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm

AndyBeech wrote:To be honest, in my opinion, if your after real life performance gains with any of these kits....your gonna be disappointed. As much as I respect what Evolve have done with their kit, I'm pretty sceptic what the kit alone would give you in performance despite the claims. Along with a remap maybe you'd get a very slight noticeable increase but for me these induction kits are all about releasing the noise of the S54 which is epic.

Can understand your sentiments as our own experience has proven the same however as previously explained, the Eventuri system which is now Patent Pending is a completely different intake and all our Z4M and E46 M3 customers have reported a significant improvement in throttle response as well as power delivery from even the lower rpms. Here is a recent dyno from an E46 M3 customer who had a standard and well maintained car which was fitted with the Eventuri, then remapped (rpm raised). You can see the gains in power from both stages.

All I can say is - come along to the open day on the 28th March and see for yourselves :D

Eventuri

Post by Eventuri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Also I asked Imran @ Evolve to provide me with a graph of a Z4M before and after the GruppeM intake. As you can see it does provide a gain but mainly at the top end. He told me that this test was done on a stock car that belonged to a forum member known as FlatOut aka Richard.

Last edited by Eventuri on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.