Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M market watch

"M" Specific discussion
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

M market watch

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 pm

At some point it would be interesting to see how your Supra compares to your MC, but on another thread!

Anyway back on topic I don't know anything about those 2, but the black one has been for sale for ages. The general consensus seems to be it has 4 front wheels fitted - possibly the set I sold to a forum member who was selling his MC and wanted so sell his after-market wheels separately! But if it hasn't sold there is usually a good reason.

Have you seen either of these adverts on here?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=130624

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129012

They've both had new bearing shells fitted so that's £1K or so you won't need to spend.

Good luck with your search anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Beemingallover

M market watch

Post by Beemingallover » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:56 am

Black one also missing M badges on both wings.
:driving: Z4MR 2006 Interlargos Blue/Sepang Bronze SUMMER
E92 M3 coupe manual 2009 Silverstone Blue WINTER
M635Csi 1986 manual Lachs silver. GONE.

Simon 3.2M

M market watch

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:27 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 pm At some point it would be interesting to see how your Supra compares to your MC, but on another thread!

Anyway back on topic I don't know anything about those 2, but the black one has been for sale for ages. The general consensus seems to be it has 4 front wheels fitted - possibly the set I sold to a forum member who was selling his MC and wanted so sell his after-market wheels separately! But if it hasn't sold there is usually a good reason.

They've both had new bearing shells fitted so that's £1K or so you won't need to spend.

I think some will be put off by the miles on the Silver Grey one - I wouldn’t be personally but on an enthusiasts forum it could go against it. 50k miles on the new shells could also put it, in the eyes of some, close to needing a second set.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Iggy

M market watch

Post by Iggy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:58 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 pm At some point it would be interesting to see how your Supra compares to your MC, but on another thread!

As Mr Tidy, says. That black one's been up for ages... pretty sure it's actually years at this point! Part of me really wishes someone would just buy it and sort it out while documenting it here. However, the fact that it hasn't sold for so long says there's a bit more wrong with it than just the wheels and wonky backboxes. I'm sure they would take a reasonable offer just to be rid of it so maybe worth a try as a project.
zedless

Past
'06 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Silbergrau
'06 Z4MC - Silbergrau & Imola Leather

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:41 am

The problem with these higher milers is you could dump 6-8k on them easily and for 21-22 you could have a decent 60+k miler. So it doesn't really make sense unless you can do all the work yourself. I would rather spend the money on a lower miler. At 10k might be worth a punt but thats probably why its sat for so long.

RedUn

M market watch

Post by RedUn » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:16 am

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:41 am The problem with these higher milers is you could dump 6-8k on them easily and for 21-22 you could have a decent 60+k miler. So it doesn't really make sense unless you can do all the work yourself. I would rather spend the money on a lower miler. At 10k might be worth a punt but thats probably why its sat for so long.
Agreed!

Makes me wonder once again that the z4m prices don't sit quite right in this country, mint low mileage cars aren't worth the premium you'd expect for some reason hence the cheaper project cars don't sell...

It would be interesting to see a graph. Maybe I'll knock one up if I get chance...
IMOLA Z4///MR

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 am

Exactly, the low milers are only 10k more really but at the same time because of age they will also need work and finding a low miler that hasn't just been driven to the shops and has been serviced properly is hard too.

Regardless of the car when they get to 80-100k there are quite a lot of things that should be done to secure the investment.

Few of them itemised
  • Vanos Rebuild
  • Rod Bearings
  • Engine and Gearbox Mounts
  • Oil Pump
  • Water Pump
  • Suspension
  • Disks and Pads
  • Worth getting an INP I/II to level the playing field as most garages tick INP I/II for normal oil services
  • Paintwork condition at 130-150k
The following is by no means a complaining post just a document of where im at with mine so far. Im quite anal which im sure a lot of people on here are and want the car to be right. I think im about 6-7k in repairs and additional parts (like aero skirts etc) so far. Probably another 5k from being where it needs to be.

Standard costs to keep it on the road: £600 tax for 2 years £1200 my insurance is the same £1200 so £2400 in total so far. Fuel - done 6k in it so about £1500. Only 6k because ive been getting through the work that needs doing.

Mine is a 2006 with 71k on it bought it with 65k 2 years ago and ive had lots of little things that have mounted up. I haven't done any of the big ticket items yet but so far...
  • 65k Inspection 1 - to get it on a level playing field when I got it.
  • Both sets of disks were warped so replaced all round
  • Xenon washers weren't working and needed a new pump, once pump was replaced it was leaking and still havent got to the bottom of it as non of the pipes are split but keeps leaking.
  • I had alarm issues would randomly set off so getting to the bottom was a bit of a faf and had some sensors replaced
    Rear spring was broken so replaced the rears
  • Roof motor relocated
  • The gap tech was installed really poorly by twisting the wires and it turned out this was a contributing factor to my electrical gremlins so had it installed correctly
  • Drivers side window regulator died and the door skin is a one use item. Had the regulator fixed and the door skin replaced
  • The car then started with hesitation and it had Bosche spark plugs so replaced with NGK and had the valve positioning sensors reset
  • Exhaust hangers were shot so were replaced
  • Rear struts for the boot were worn out and the banging of the boot has broken the rear light so replaced both
  • Booked in for an inspection 2 early sept as I don't have a shim replacement document, Dif and gearbox oils were last replaced in 2015
  • Just had 4 new MPS4s tyres for the CSLs
Other non essential stuff
  • Replaced the badges all round because they tend to disintegrate over time
  • Bought an OEM strut brace
  • Bought OEM aero skirts
  • Replaced the stubby arial it had with a nicer stubby
  • Bought extended leather for around the A pillars and the vanity mirrors
  • Clutch Stop
  • Bluetooth module
  • Replacement steering wheel surrounds because they were worn
Other bits
The car had carbon wrap on the front and rear valance the front had some sort of damage 10" gash through the centre, rear pulled away the paint as I assume its been resprayed before, both wing mirrors have been caught so was covering up a bit of damage. So need the front and rear bumpers doing as well as the aero skirts. Really the bonnet and wings need doing too as with 71k and being so low they are prone to road damage.

Bits that I need to do
  • Suspension refresh - the dampers are original and aren't really doing any damping as far as I can tell. When replacing the springs there was very little resistance - Also all that goes with
  • Vanos Rebuild
  • Rod Bearings
  • Engine and Gearbox Mounts
  • Oil Pump
  • Water Pump
  • Brake lines - look ok atm but will need doing
  • My roof has 2 wear hole where it catches on the rubber at the rear and 2 more that are wearing through so will need to replace at some point.Currently just aesthetic and its garaged but would like to sort.
  • CSLs could do with a refurb
Other nice to do bits
  • Some sort of induction upgrade
  • I have a bespoke stainless steel exhaust and x pipe that im not sure to install as no idea what it sounds like
  • Would like to do the 135i performance brake upgrade
I bought the car for £14.5k probably worth £15-16 but probably going to be in the 10k range for mechanical repairs not including aethetics. so im in the same boat really could have bought a mint garage queen roadster with 24k but that would have needed work too and probably wouldn't want to drive it for fear of ruining it.

Just worth baring in mind with the higher milers as there's lots of stuff that can need sorting. If your handy mechanic im sure these make really great buys but im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. The best ive done so far is replacing the rear springs.

If its forever it doesn't matter but most aren't. Its a really nice presentable car tho and rare being 1-4 in the UK in this combo.

Love the car tho and these are still cheap cars in the grand scheme, I have a 996 4S too which has 30ks worth of paperwork with it but that car is almost a complete project now.

Beemingallover

M market watch

Post by Beemingallover » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:29 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 am Drivers side regulator died and the door skin is a one use item. Had the regulator fixed and the door skin replaced
I had the pax side regulator replaced and soon after noticed some very small ripples/indentations in the door skin low down. I was puzzled by it thinking maybe it was corrosion, two body shops agreed on corrosion or accident theory. A third said it was probably caused when the regulator was replaced. Why would that be?

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by flimper » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Does amaze me how often the car is talked down on here, must put off new buyers. Overpriced, bearing shells, vanos etc etc.
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Mister T

M market watch

Post by Mister T » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 pm

flimper wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:20 pm Does amaze me how often the car is talked down on here, must put off new buyers. Overpriced, bearing shells, vanos etc etc.
Same on every forum I visit :roll:

They're all at least 13 years old, you have to expect that things will need fixing!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm

flimper wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:20 pm Does amaze me how often the car is talked down on here, must put off new buyers. Overpriced, bearing shells, vanos etc etc.
Hardly talking it down, the main point is buying a high miler by the time you've spent the money you could have a low miler because there is a discrepancy of values between high and low milage cars.....

Its not putting off buyers its educating you could get yourself in a financial hole. Thats my experience so far so not sure why its an issue discussing it.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Beemingallover wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:29 pm
tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 am Drivers side regulator died and the door skin is a one use item. Had the regulator fixed and the door skin replaced
I had the pax side regulator replaced and soon after noticed some very small ripples/indentations in the door skin low down. I was puzzled by it thinking maybe it was corrosion, two body shops agreed on corrosion or accident theory. A third said it was probably caused when the regulator was replaced. Why would that be?
The door skin is a thin membrane between that and the door cover. Which one do you mean? The door skin has adhesive all around and is foam so when its taken off and the age of the car they tend to disintegrate so should be changed really.

Beemingallover

M market watch

Post by Beemingallover » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:51 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:47 pm
Beemingallover wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:29 pm
The door skin is a thin membrane between that and the door cover. Which one do you mean? The door skin has adhesive all around and is foam so when its taken off and the age of the car they tend to disintegrate so should be changed really.
I'm talking about the outer metal painted bodywork.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by flimper » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm
Hardly talking it down, the main point is buying a high miler by the time you've spent the money you could have a low miler because there is a discrepancy of values between high and low milage cars.....

Its not putting off buyers its educating you could get yourself in a financial hole. Thats my experience so far so not sure why its an issue discussing it.
If I came on here without knowing the car and scanned the forum for a while, I'd come to the conclusion that the car is fragile and needs lots of money spent on it or it would go bang. Annoys me as this is not my experience, so far at least. Not a personal attack on you, just the straw that broke the camels back :thumbsup:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M market watch

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm

flimper wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm
tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm

If I came on here without knowing the car and scanned the forum for a while, I'd come to the conclusion that the car is fragile and needs lots of money spent on it or it would go bang. Annoys me as this is not my experience, so far at least. Not a personal attack on you, just the straw that broke the camels back :thumbsup:
Fair enough and I agree.

The black one that is in question has 224 front wheels all round... and has been for sale for over a year. it has north of 130K and cars in that bracket are going to cost money to sort and the post was about what to be wary about not the fact the Z4M is fragile if it was I wouldn't have had two so far.

Worth talking about questionable cars, the other cars that MR tidy referenced as other cars worth looking at are slightly under 100k and have had maintenance done so will likely cost much less in the short term and have less worries. Much better off knowing and buying well than buying poorly and it putting you off the brand for life.

Its different when you've owned a car a long time, know how its been driven and how its been cared for. When your buying a 130+ car there's lots of unknown, just read the sale advert.