Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED Angel Eye sidelight

"M" Specific discussion
McKoval

LED Angel Eye sidelight

Post by McKoval » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 pm

And has anyone tried this one?
https://www.osram.com/am/ecat/ORIGINAL% ... ZMP_60888/

They claim its 10W and 200 lumens - I wonder would it be sufficient to serve as DRL?

Mangozac

LED Angel Eye sidelight

Post by Mangozac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm

From the tests I did 200 lumens isn't enough if you want really striking halos. I estimate that up towards 500 lumens would be required from an LED bulb ...
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Spaniarduk

LED Angel Eye sidelight

Post by Spaniarduk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Based on what I've done and gone through over the last few days is that led light bulbs, including some of the recommended in this thread, are complete and utter horse menure :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . After fitting a set similar to the multi-led sold at Halfords and being disappointed with both colour (way too blue) and intensity (marginally brighter than the standard bulb) i ended up with an error showing in my dash. From there i replaced with another set from Halfords at £12. This would have been a good price had the result not been worse than before!! Upon returning the last pair to Halfords and failing to find an equivalent 10Watt to the original fillamented light bulbs i got a 'similar' filamented bulb, this time at 21Watt. This was the Halfords own 435H21W. Only when i got home did i realise than the little studs for the bayonet fitment were at 90 degrees and not diametrically opposed. Not a problem! Nothing that a pair of vinyl disposable gloves (to prevent finger prints on the glass) and a metal file wouldn't solve. I filed 1 of the 2 pins, fitted it and hey presto!!! Not only it is (a bit) brighter than the original BMW 10Watt ones, the errors have magically vanished, too.

Still looking for a brighter solution. Excuse the pun :driving:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Mangozac

LED Angel Eye sidelight

Post by Mangozac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes, I have put this on the backburner because the multiple LED sets I tried were all non-starters. Thanks latest idea I've had is to make an actual LED Halo ring using a flexible PCB, so that it can be squeezed in through the bulb hole and then expand into shape inside the reflector. To design this though I really need to get my hands on a damaged headlight in order to get the sizing perfect...
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR