Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F10 M5 illuminated ZHP install guide with photos

"M" Specific discussion
JAD

Re: F10 M5 illuminated ZHP install guide with photos

Post by JAD » Thu May 14, 2015 3:49 pm

MickAdams wrote:
srhutch wrote:How come the stitching is the opposite way round to each other on these last two?

I thought the boot was attached to the knob. :?
I think JAD has taken the knob off and is using it with the standard gaiter, I've used the gaiter that came with it and fitted that around the Z4 hoop.
Correct, Mick. I didn't want to change the gaitor as (no offence to those that have) I've not seen one that has been either easy or provided a perfect outcome.

MickAdams

Post by MickAdams » Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 pm

JAD wrote:
MickAdams wrote:
srhutch wrote:How come the stitching is the opposite way round to each other on these last two?

I think JAD has taken the knob off and is using it with the standard gaiter, I've used the gaiter that came with it and fitted that around the Z4 hoop.
Correct, Mick. I didn't want to change the gaitor as (no offence to those that have) I've not seen one that has been either easy or provided a perfect outcome.
HOW VERY DARE YOU!?! I think mine has come out looking pretty stock :P

Before I did mine, I had a good look at all the pictures I could and decided I'd have a better chance of getting it looking good keeping the gaiter and knob attached, I couldn't see a way of getting the fold at the top of the original to look as good as the original join it comes with. Both ways looks good though :)

JAD

Post by JAD » Thu May 14, 2015 5:44 pm

MickAdams wrote:HOW VERY DARE YOU!?! I think mine has come out looking pretty stock :P

Before I did mine, I had a good look at all the pictures I could and decided I'd have a better chance of getting it looking good keeping the gaiter and knob attached, I couldn't see a way of getting the fold at the top of the original to look as good as the original join it comes with. Both ways looks good though :)
Actually I take that back - yours is the best I've seen I have to say. I'd skipped a page and looked at NCrossy's (again, no offense :thumbsup: ).

pungo

Post by pungo » Sat May 16, 2015 2:30 am

JAD wrote: Correct, Mick. I didn't want to change the gaitor as (no offence to those that have) I've not seen one that has been either easy or provided a perfect outcome.
What, several who used the F10 gator, look really good including mine, some not so much. Easy, depends on your skill level, I thought it was pretty easy, but if you're lacking the skills, yeah, it might not be very easy. The leather on the F10 it much nicer than the stock leather, so it's well worth the effort if you have the skills to do it right. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 16, 2015 9:00 am

JAD wrote:
MickAdams wrote:

That's what I would do to. Makes it easier to revert back also. Presume you had to cut the gaitor off.

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat May 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I cut my gaitor off & the 3 tabs holding it to the knob, found a post on M3Cutters.

Decided to do it this way incase I wanted to put it back to original if I sold it.
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

pungo

Post by pungo » Sat May 16, 2015 8:08 pm

mj2k wrote:I cut my gaitor off & the 3 tabs holding it to the knob, found a post on M3Cutters.

Decided to do it this way incase I wanted to put it back to original if I sold it.
I easily removed the original gator without destroying it using a heat gun to soften the glue. I'll keep it in in case I ever want to return it back to original, although I doubt I ever will.

MickAdams

Post by MickAdams » Sat May 16, 2015 10:40 pm

pungo wrote:
mj2k wrote:I cut my gaitor off & the 3 tabs holding it to the knob, found a post on M3Cutters.

I easily removed the original gator without destroying it using a heat gun to soften the glue. I'll keep it in in case I ever want to return it back to original, although I doubt I ever will.
I did this too, although I can't imagine I'd ever actually change it over again. If I did ever need to get it back to be totally stock I'd just buy a new one, and I'd need a new knob too. I'd imagine someone would have the converted one I have off me :)

ChawenHalo

Post by ChawenHalo » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Beedub wrote:when i see a diy written like this with true passion as well.... = marriage material....

nina!!! very impressed!!!!

so the wiring is plug and play??

i like mods like this where time time and effort is done away from the car.
+1 :thumbsup: ripped mine off so I'll need to give those wires a bit of TLC. Is that new gear lever much bigger than OEM? How does it feel in the hand?
Z4MC. ACS CF diffuser silencers side skits. Pagid RS29 & Goodridge. Gruppe M Bilstein B16PSS10 H&R ARBS. Delage Sport chassis. MPS2. Audi A8 4.2TDI 2008 runabout.

JAD

Post by JAD » Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 am

ChawenHalo wrote:
Beedub wrote:when i see a diy written like this with true passion as well.... = marriage material....

nina!!! very impressed!!!!

so the wiring is plug and play??

i like mods like this where time time and effort is done away from the car.
+1 :thumbsup: ripped mine off so I'll need to give those wires a bit of TLC. Is that new gear lever much bigger than OEM? How does it feel in the hand?
It's just shorter, so looks "chubbier" - it really has made a big difference. I've started keeping my hand more on the gearknob than the wheel in a more relaxed position!!

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:45 pm

The gear knob which came with my car is an illuminated ZHP. I take it this isn't stock after reading this post.

I want to get the F10 knob I think. Am I right or wrong to think this more weighted.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:48 pm

If you have an illuminated zhp there is no need to change.

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:10 pm

I like the look of the stubbier gearknob as well as reducing the throw. The main reason I have in my head is I feel my current heartsick is too light and want something heavier, more positive. The leather also has seen better days on my current.

My last car I had a billet knob which was great but don't want to away too far from stock.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Sounds like you have the standard illuminated knob, not the zhp.

If there is no chrome ring at the bottom of the knob it's the standard one.

I have an illuminated version of the one on the left.

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Correct it is the standard one I have. So the F10 is weightier?

Otherwise no point.