Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F10 M5 illuminated ZHP install guide with photos

"M" Specific discussion
ncrossy1980

Re: F10 M5 illuminated ZHP install guide with photos

Post by ncrossy1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

I've had it off since then and fiddled a little, the bunching isn't anywhere near as obvious now. I still have fold lines but they're minimal :thumbsup:

JAD

Post by JAD » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Finally ordered this from Harry Fairbank. Cannot wait to get it fitted along with my OEM ashtray aux input!

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 pm

JAD wrote:Finally ordered this from Harry Fairbank. Cannot wait to get it fitted along with my OEM ashtray aux input!
I did the OEM aux input a few weeks ago too! Beware the endless amounts of confusing conflicting guides out there that make reference to several thousand different variations of BMW head unit :|
I dunno if it's common, but most of the guides said you had to lose the multi-CD changer to accommodate the aux but I managed to get them both to work alongside each other.

JAD

Post by JAD » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:17 pm

ncrossy1980 wrote:
JAD wrote:Finally ordered this from Harry Fairbank. Cannot wait to get it fitted along with my OEM ashtray aux input!
I did the OEM aux input a few weeks ago too! Beware the endless amounts of confusing conflicting guides out there that make reference to several thousand different variations of BMW head unit :|
I dunno if it's common, but most of the guides said you had to lose the multi-CD changer to accommodate the aux but I managed to get them both to work alongside each other.
When it comes to audio, I'm "flimper" spec! Radio cd only! So cannot wait to get my aux.

Where did you order from chap?

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:37 pm

I got my F10 gear shifter from my local Stratstones parts dept and the OEM aux came from a BMW dealer on ebay, was around £50ish, the flat plate aux, I drilled it into the panel under the heater controls! Oh and good look pulling your air vents out too if you've never tried! Took me 2 hours to get mine out as they were stiff as balls!

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

ncrossy1980 wrote:Oh and good look pulling your air vents out too if you've never tried! Took me 2 hours to get mine out as they were stiff as balls!
Rollox, hoping mine is a quick job, as sure I've got something plastic that just needs to be clipped back into place rattling away in mine. 2 hrs for vent removal, I'm hoping you are just less technically minded than me - and I've got nothing but 10 left handed thumbs when it comes to this sort of stuff - I could be working on the dash & break something in the boot, without even trying!
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

JAD

Post by JAD » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm

ncrossy1980 wrote:I got my F10 gear shifter from my local Stratstones parts dept and the OEM aux came from a BMW dealer on ebay, was around £50ish, the flat plate aux, I drilled it into the panel under the heater controls! Oh and good look pulling your air vents out too if you've never tried! Took me 2 hours to get mine out as they were stiff as balls!
Ah, different part! I've ordered an ash tray OEM thing from the U.S. So no drilling!

And did think it'd take much longer than the videos show!

MickAdams

Post by MickAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Well to cheer myself up about my bumper, I decided to finally get around to doing this :P I've had the knob sitting in a box in the garage for what seems like AGES, so it's good to finally get it sorted :) Turned out well I think, car needs a clean though :oops:

AndrewZ4MC

Post by AndrewZ4MC » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Very nice mate - did mine last week too - love it!

JAD

Post by JAD » Wed May 13, 2015 11:08 am

Finally done mine as well!! Very easy - slightly unhappy with the minor fold at the top of the gaitor, but easy fix this weekend. Also installed my Aux now they're back in stock!

Missing a screw as there was not a new one supplied and the old one has a washer stopping it being quite long enough in the new position.

Squiddie

Post by Squiddie » Wed May 13, 2015 2:02 pm

How much time did you spent on recoding the car to make the software go again after this operation?

Just kidding. Nice work.

JAD

Post by JAD » Wed May 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Squiddie wrote:How much time did you spent on recoding the car to make the software go again after this operation?

Just kidding. Nice work.
You mean how long did I spend trying to get the damn vents out and how many pints of blood did I lose :rofl: :rofl:

Squiddie

Post by Squiddie » Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 pm

What the thing doesn't have a serial number and a cryptographic hash inside that the computer recognizes? Shocking :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 pm

How come the stitching is the opposite way round to each other on these last two?

I thought the boot was attached to the knob. :?

MickAdams

Post by MickAdams » Thu May 14, 2015 3:20 am

srhutch wrote:How come the stitching is the opposite way round to each other on these last two?

I thought the boot was attached to the knob. :?
I think JAD has taken the knob off and is using it with the standard gaiter, I've used the gaiter that came with it and fitted that around the Z4 hoop.