Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Undercar Aerodynamics

"M" Specific discussion
exdos

Undercar Aerodynamics

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Shortly after buying my Z4MC, I modded the suspension with AC Schnitzer Racing adjustable suspension, a StrongStrut strutbrace, H&R M3 CSL ARBs, Turner Motorsport Rear Trailing Arm Bush Limiter Kit and 10mm wheel spacers all round. On top of that I’ve adjusted the geometry to my preference and the handling and ride has improved considerably. However, I want to try to improve the handling some more with some aerodynamic tweaks. In order to maintain practicality of the car on public roads, I don’t want to fit a front splitter of any type that I’ve seen so far because they all reduce ground clearance. Likewise, I don’t want to fit a big wing on the rear because I think they only look right on a race car. Consequently, I’ve been exploring the possibility of fitting various parts beneath the car, which might improve the speed of the airflow under the car, and which might produce low pressure beneath the car in order to counteract the inherent tendency to the car going “light” at higher speeds due to aerodynamic lift. I take my car to The Ring so it will be doing over 150mph and I want it to feel “planted” at all speeds so anything I fit must be safe.

The underside of the Z4MC is already reasonably tidy when compared to many other cars and there are various covers fitted on the underside, which make the under-surface reasonably flat. However, there are still large voids and objects (exhaust pipes and suspension parts), which will cause air turbulence and prevent the smooth flow of air across the full width and length of the car. So, I’ve looked at the flow of air across the full width of the car, progressively moving towards the rear, viewing potential ways of reducing turbulence beneath the car and promoting high airflow/ low pressure.

The first place to start is the rake angle of the car, which can create a “Venturi” and an area of low pressure if there is a positive angle of the floor pan to the road.

Next, the OEM front bumper has “fangs” which act as a splitter (although very small) and there are the “brake ducts” above them, which IMO, are partly there to act as a vessel to increase the air pressure at the front of the car, which makes the fangs more effective as splitters. In the centre of the front bumper there is a rubber strip, which acts as an airdam that limits the amount of air getting beneath the car.

Immediately behind the front bumper on the underside of the car is a plastic tray which covers the engine and this is very well designed an assists in engine cooling as well as directing the airflow to the front wheels.

Behind this is the metal reinforcement plate for the front axle/suspension. Since this part has a dome in the centre, I thought that fitting two longitudinal strakes onto this part (using existing holes in the plate) would help to force the air to pass directly over the dome rather than possibly take a more circuitous passage around it.

From studying the published literature relating to airflow in the wheelhouse, I’ve learned that the rotating wheels will produce a pair of “jetting vortices” at road level behind the wheel, which are visible as the spray behind the tyre when the road is wet, and I think that by placing a deflector at 45 degrees to the tyre on the inside beneath the car might deflect these vortices outwards, and thus preventing air entering under the cills in the same way as side skirts work. I’ve made these from aluminium and rubber so that they will not break when crossing “sleeping policemen”, etc. I have used existing panel fastenings to attach them.

In front of the rear wheels, the OEM wheelhouse cover already has a deflector, which speeds up the air in front of the tyre, which helps to clear standing water. I have attached longitudinal strake to the inside of the wheel which starts a couple of inches in front of the OEM wheelhouse cover. The intention of this part is to act like a side skirt to prevent air ingress under the car in front of the rear axle and also to promote air already travelling under the car to follow a straight path under the car, rather than to become turbulent on the inside of the wheelhouse. These parts are made from aluminium and rubber and are attached to the diagonal rear bracing.

Further back I’ve also fitted a couple of small strakes which are again fitted to the diagonal bracing just in front, and directly inline, of the start of the OEM plastic sloping diffuser tray that fits between the silencers. The purpose of these strakes is to assist the airflow directly into the diffuser.

Finally, I have made 4 vertical strakes, made from aluminium sheet, which extend longitudinally and which are attached to the silencers in an attempt to make a more effective diffuser arrangement at the rear of the car.

In section, the OEM silencers are rounded structures which must inherently generate a “Coanda effect" as air passes over them: this must create a zone of low pressure beneath them which should counteract lift at the rear provided that the airflow passes beneath them rather than around them. Therefore, the vertical strakes will make the air flow over the silencers rather than around them.

Likewise, the air flowing between the silencers will improve the effectiveness of the OEM diffuser part. Further the outer strakes will prevent air from the rear wheelhouses causing turbulence in the rear diffuser section. As such, the jetting vortices produced by the rear wheels should exit in a straight line behind the car which should help pull the air through the underside of the car.

Here are a few shots of what all this looks like on the car.

I've positioned the car so that I could take an "elevation" side view to show the parts. Normal viewing from the side doesn't really show these parts.

I’ve installed each of these items step by step and test driven them progressively as I’ve developed the underside of the car and the handling of the car has shown no detrimental effects; the car has become extremely precise. With all these parts in place my initial impression within the first few minutes when I drove the car with all these parts was that the car turned much quicker than before although the car will naturally drive straight ahead with no steering input. After a full test drive, the car feels much "flatter" around corners where I can feel the weight transfer as a sideways shift rather than as a lateral bodyroll and the car feels very stable at speed even on bumpy A&B roads. The suspension doesn't seem to move too much either, which suggests to me that the ARBs are working less if there's less aerodynamic lift. There is virtually no lifting on hard acceleration or pitching on hard braking despite the suspension presently set on my “fast road” settings, which are actually quite soft on the range of adjustment. All in all, I'm very pleased with the work so far, and it has cost me nothing other than my time to make all the bits and pieces. I've used as many of the cars existing points of attachments as I could, but I've had to weld small brackets onto the silencers to attach the rear diffuser strakes: this isn't a problem because my original OEM silencers are not used, instead I've used my already modded silencers. All the parts can easily be removed and the car returned to OEM.

I’ve previously done similar mods to my Z3MC, in which I’ve done many laps at The Ring, so I’ve not been entirely walking in the dark with this project.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Undercar Aerodynamics

Post by tomscott » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Sounds impressive and I'm sure works. Not sure the additions fit with the look of the Z4M tho, looks a little bolt on.

What about speed bumps? they look pretty low! The front is looks low but the fins look lower.

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 pm

tomscott wrote:Sounds impressive and I'm sure works. Not sure the additions fit with the look of the Z4M tho, looks a little bolt on.

What about speed bumps? they look pretty low! The front is looks low but the fins look lower.
Tom, if I make any part I always make sure that the car can easily revert to OEM, so provided the part functions as I want it to do, then that's all that really bothers me. I love tinkering and trying out my ideas far more than cosmetics.

The parts which are at risk of grounding on speed bumps are made with rubber so they should flex. The car isn't a DD so I won't come across too many. My Z3MC is lowered and has a butt strut, so I'm used to negotiating obstacles with care. As long as it can get on and off the ferry to The Ring, I'll be happy.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Really interesting read, a lot of thought has gone into it. Cool ideas. I wonder how much of a difference it will make - would be interesting to do a blind test - where you don't know if they are fitted or not and have a lap and then repeat with them on a few times (obviously not practical as you'd need your own garage at a track and a willing person to be switching the gear on and off the car.

The wooden ramp looked a bit scary!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 pm

I love reading about these types of projects. The mission to create a flatter underside to affect air pressure beneath the car and take it to the ring. Whats not to like :thumbsup:

Good work so far. Am interested in if there is any way you can measure the effects.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Very interesting read. Will look foward to hearing how you get on at the ring. :thumbsup:

(Do the insurance know? :wink: )

dario

Post by dario » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't forget that any rear down force that the venturi might create (and I doubt it will) should be balanced by work on the front end. If it were to work, the front lift that you are expirencing at high speeds will be worsened.

an under car venturi / diffuser is realistically looking to accelerate the air as it leave the under side of the car to promote low pressure in the middle of the car at the point where the diffuse starts to widen. if you have a look at this LFA underside you will possibly get a better impression.

Last edited by dario on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sae

Post by Sae » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

inkey$ wrote:I love reading about these types of projects. The mission to create a flatter underside to affect air pressure beneath the car and take it to the ring. Whats not to like :thumbsup:

Good work so far. Am interested in if there is any way you can measure the effects.
+1

Great stuff exdos, a very thorough and logical approach.

How did you decide on the depth of the longitudinal strakes and the final diffuser fins?

What are your effective spring heights for the car rake angle you set?

On the testing front, book some time into the macca wind tunnel, or failing that you could try some rudementary flow visualisation - a couple of gopros to attach to the rear of the car, some sort of smoke generator you can attach to the front spoiler and an empty airfield or industrial estate with a long straight to allow 150mph runs :D
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21 pm

-Tom- wrote:Really interesting read, a lot of thought has gone into it. Cool ideas. I wonder how much of a difference it will make - would be interesting to do a blind test - where you don't know if they are fitted or not and have a lap and then repeat with them on a few times (obviously not practical as you'd need your own garage at a track and a willing person to be switching the gear on and off the car.

The wooden ramp looked a bit scary!!!!
I've found with my Z3MC with undercar aero parts fitted the car just feels it wants to go in a straight line and the back end, particularly, feels more planted, so that when I make a turning input the car makes an arc more readily than the slight yawing you normally get with the slip angle of the tyres. When I continue to push hard enough I get the yawing due to the slip angle, but at a bit higher speed than normal. This gives me a great feeling of confidence in the car so that I'm prepared to push harder especially on the high speed corners. My early impressions of these mods to the Z4MC is very similar feeling from the car.

My wooden ramps are supported at several intervals along their length and I wouldn't dare get under the car if I wasn't convinced of their safety. :thumbsup:

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 pm

dario wrote:Don't forget that any rear down force that the venturi might create (and I doubt it will) should be balanced by work on the front end. If it were to work, the front lift that you are expirencing at high speeds will be worsened.
I personally doubt if I am actually creating downforce. The best that I'm hoping for is the reduction/prevention of aerodynamic lift.

As I've reported in other threads on this forum, I hated the OEM suspension, and one of the reasons was due to the floaty steering which occurs due to front end lift on acceleration even at legal road speeds. I found that fitting AC Schnitzer Racing suspension effectively cured this problem. Maybe the fact that I also increased the rake angle helped too? I did 2 full track days in the Z4MC on that suspension at The Ring last year and there was no problem at 150mph then.

The reason why I've done these mods to my Z4MC is because my heavily modded Z3MC, with aero parts fitted, still feels as though it handles better than my Z4MC, so I've reached the conclusion that its the aero parts that make the difference. I remembered how I noticed the difference to the handling of my Z3MC after doing similar undercar mods a few years back.

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Interesting stuff
I am surprised it makes that much difference.

why not have a bolt on temp front splitter for ring days?
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Sae wrote:How did you decide on the depth of the longitudinal strakes and the final diffuser fins?

What are your effective spring heights for the car rake angle you set?

On the testing front, book some time into the macca wind tunnel, or failing that you could try some rudementary flow visualisation - a couple of gopros to attach to the rear of the car, some sort of smoke generator you can attach to the front spoiler and an empty airfield or industrial estate with a long straight to allow 150mph runs :D
I know the clearance that I have of similar strakes on my lowered Z3MC which have been over everything, so I'd already got some measurements to go off. I think that you should always have a minimum clearance of a house brick on its side plus half an inch under the centre of a car, but you can get away with less near the wheels.

When you say "spring heights" do you mean the height to the top of the wheel arch over the wheels?

It would be great to do some wind tunnel testing, but I've found the use of my pressure washer to be a decent alternative to the smoke trails used in wind tunnels. Set up a video recording and wash away! 8) I also set up structures akin to the the parts that I want to make and wash them to test the basic ideas to see what spray patterns I get. It helps me to visualise "flow" in my "mind's eye".

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Finisterre wrote:Interesting stuff
I am surprised it makes that much difference.

why not have a bolt on temp front splitter for ring days?
Because we can't see air in action, we tend to ignore the sheer power that it can exert. An 80mph wind can do an awful lot of damage. A car driving over a smooth flow of air under the car will have an easier passage than if that air is turbulent.

I've spent a lot of time considering a removable front splitter but there's a fundamental problem in that the front bumper isn't a very rigid structure onto which you can add extra forces. I've got a "Wanted" ad on the forum for a Z4M bumper that I'd like to modify for this purpose.

Sae

Post by Sae » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 pm

exdos wrote: When you say "spring heights" do you mean the height to the top of the wheel arch over the wheels?
I guess what is your effective height change from OEM for front/rear?
exdos wrote: It would be great to do some wind tunnel testing, but I've found the use of my pressure washer to be a decent alternative to the smoke trails used in wind tunnels. Set up a video recording and wash away! 8) I also set up structures akin to the the parts that I want to make and wash them to test the basic ideas to see what spray patterns I get. It helps me to visualise "flow" in my "mind's eye".
Cool, would be interesting to see how much tidier the airflow is. I like the idea of the venturi end plates next to the wheels, I think they would give a real benefit :thumbsup:
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

beanie

Post by beanie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Perhaps you could try extending the front 'air dam' a little ( the small lip thats set back under the front bumper) instead of going the splitter route. Might be a good idea to fence-in the wheel wells and sills a little more too in order to better control the air.

Interesting stuff though exdos and something I've often thought about but have never got beyond the man-dream phase with!
RUBYIMOLACARBON