Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

pilchardthecat's MAF screen mod

"M" Specific discussion
1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am

exdos wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 am If your air intake has a screen in front of the MAF like the Z4M (which I expect it does) then this mod will work for you.
Just a bit of a thread revival but would the honeycomb mod be worth doing on a 3.0 si that does not have a MAF screen or is the air flow across the sensor acceptable in this case ?

All comments welcome I won`t be offended :poke:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

exdos

Post by exdos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am
Just a bit of a thread revival but would the honeycomb mod be worth doing on a 3.0 si that does not have a MAF screen or is the air flow across the sensor acceptable in this case ?

All comments welcome I won`t be offended :poke:
If the OEM MAF of the 3.0si doesn't have a screen then don't place anything in front of it.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Ok thanks :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

couchflyer

Post by couchflyer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:05 am

What do you use to secure the honeycomb to the OEM plastic ring with?
Thanks

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:52 am

couchflyer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:05 am What do you use to secure the honeycomb to the OEM plastic ring with?
Thanks
I presumed it would hold itself in place once you had cut the slot as on page 5 but otherwise I would think superglue or silicone sealant would be fine .

couchflyer

Post by couchflyer » Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 am

exdos, how did yo secure the honeycomb?

exdos

Post by exdos » Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 am

couchflyer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 am exdos, how did yo secure the honeycomb?
If you go back a few posts you'll see that I gave a description of how to do this:
"It's hard to explain how you should fit this, but the OEM plastic rim in your photo has to fit in exactly the same way with the honeycomb screen as does the OEM MAF screen. So you need to cut a rebate around the edge of the honeycomb screen. To do this, I stuck a few pieces of masking tape onto one face of the honeycomb and then traced around the plastic rim. I then used a Dremel with a diamond cutting disc to cut the circle marked on the masking tape to fit within the plastic rim, BUT I ONLY CUT about 5mm into the honeycomb I then cut from the side of the honeycomb just enough to remove the honeycomb to produce the rebate. Does this make sense?"

I also suggested that you can cut the honeycomb with a pair of nail scissors.