Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

pilchardthecat's MAF screen mod

"M" Specific discussion
AlienZed

Re: pilchardthecat's MAF screen mod

Post by AlienZed » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Couldnt u just drill holes in exis airbox,
So far i've decatted and just took the outer mesh screen off the maf .its got a bit more noise with no loss if power/fuel consuption.but seems a little more free reving..
Gonna look at taking some of the packing out of the muffler next .slowly slowly.want a bit more noise but not too much .
M

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:How much do you think the exhaust hinders if you do all the intake mods..?

I quite like the exhaust sound as it is..
Modding the exhaust alone gave me no gains. It was only after doing my Eureka air-intake mod that I got any gains. But once I'd done the Eureka mod, doing further intake mods, coupled with my exhaust gutting mod, yielded further gains. Only from datalogging can you see what works and what doesn't, and the total gain is the aggregate sum of a collection of mods working in conjunction with each other.

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 pm

AlienZed wrote:Couldnt u just drill holes in exis airbox,
:headbang: NO! NO! and thrice No! :headbang: The Z4M has a ram-air intake system!

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:31 pm

interesting mods! need to get hold of a spare air box lid :D
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 pm

pilchardthecat wrote:This is my cheapo induction noise mod.

You could've just cut away all the plastic beneath the CF skin and left a margin to bond the CF skin to the plastic lid. In essence you've used the sonorous properties of CF to get an induction noise in the same way that the front of a violin is made of quarter-sawn spruce for its sonorous quality, whilst the back is made from maple for its sound-reflective quality.

You should manufacture the part. :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 pm

exdos wrote:
Z4M-2006 wrote:How much do you think the exhaust hinders if you do all the intake mods..?

I quite like the exhaust sound as it is..
Modding the exhaust alone gave me no gains. It was only after doing my Eureka air-intake mod that I got any gains. But once I'd done the Eureka mod, doing further intake mods, coupled with my exhaust gutting mod, yielded further gains. Only from datalogging can you see what works and what doesn't, and the total gain is the aggregate sum of a collection of mods working in conjunction with each other.

Thanks...

I have emailed you about the "eureka" mod btw...;)

pilchardthecat

Post by pilchardthecat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 pm

exdos wrote:
You could've just cut away all the plastic beneath the CF skin and left a margin to bond the CF skin to the plastic lid. In essence you've used the sonorous properties of CF to get an induction noise in the same way that the front of a violin is made of quarter-sawn spruce for its sonorous quality, whilst the back is made from maple for its sound-reflective quality.

My intention was to cut the whole section away yes, but my saw gave out and so I resorted to drilling big holes. This one was only supposed to be a temporary experiment to see if making a complete cf airbox would be worthwhile so it was a bit of a hack job - I never expected it to stay on the car really, but it worked so well I left it

I used just a couple of layers of cf and 3 of resin so it is very very light and thin, lots of nice noises get out :-)
Z4M Roadster.

TikoV

Post by TikoV » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I would love to get these mods before I get the remap done.

You fancy doing this pour moi...pretty please??

Tiko
ImageImage

daz05

Post by daz05 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm

pilchardthecat wrote:
exdos wrote:

My intention was to cut the whole section away yes, but my saw gave out and so I resorted to drilling big holes. This one was only supposed to be a temporary experiment to see if making a complete cf airbox would be worthwhile so it was a bit of a hack job - I never expected it to stay on the car really, but it worked so well I left it

I used just a couple of layers of cf and 3 of resin so it is very very light and thin, lots of nice noises get out :-)
Really interesting mod, does it still seal as per the original for the ram effect? More noise must mean less pressure?
Where did you get the cf sheets from?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 am

daz05 wrote: Really interesting mod, does it still seal as per the original for the ram effect? More noise must mean less pressure?
Where did you get the cf sheets from?
If I've undrstood it correctly, any holes are covered back up. The extra noise comes from having thinner material (the carbon fibre) ather than the thicker plastic.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

pilchardthecat

Post by pilchardthecat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:35 am

Yes, it's completely air tight and sealed - easy to check, just push it under a sink full of water and check for bubbles ;-)
Z4M Roadster.

pilchardthecat

Post by pilchardthecat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:59 am

AlienZed wrote:Couldnt u just drill holes in exis airbox,
So far i've decatted and just took the outer mesh screen off the maf .its got a bit more noise with no loss if power/fuel consuption.but seems a little more free reving..
Gonna look at taking some of the packing out of the muffler next .slowly slowly.want a bit more noise but not too much .
M

As exdos said, the airbox is pressurised by the ram air system, and overall it is very well designed - you do not want to leave holes as this will reduce the pressure. There are some things you can do to increase the pressure and/or retain more of it/reduce losses - this is what exdos and myself have been messing about with

Also, it's not a good idea to remove the mesh from the maf screen and just leave the plastic air straightener - the plastic alone does a poor job of inducing laminar flow (there is a reason they stuck the mesh on there). You need both, or something that fulfills both functions as per my mod. You might not have noticed it, but there will be points in the rev/speed range where you will have turbulence around the maf, and the mix will be off
Z4M Roadster.

daz05

Post by daz05 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

pilchardthecat wrote:Yes, it's completely air tight and sealed - easy to check, just push it under a sink full of water and check for bubbles ;-)
True, nice idea, a tidier version would sell I'm sure. Applicable to all the M cars too.

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks for the info guys starting to understand wot your both aiming to achieve, your tech knowledge is great.
Well done.
Just off for a blast round the peak dist then put Zeddy to bed for 10 days.
Off to Salou on tues so i'll start again when we get back.
Cheers Moz

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 am

AlienZed wrote:
Just off for a blast round the peak dist then put Zeddy to bed for 10 days.

I may spot you then ;)