Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New M owner

"M" Specific discussion
AlexRWD

New M owner

Post by AlexRWD » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:09 am

Hi guys - just collected my 1yr old Z4M Roadster on Monday, deciding it was time for a change after 3 years with a TVR Tamora, the Z4M looking like it should be a relatively reliable replacement, with nearly as much performance.

Initial impressions after only a few drives are good, compared to the TVR is does (unsurprisingly) feel pretty well screwed together, the engine is very impressive, with a great sound, although nowhere near as loud or poppy as the TVR. Performance not quite as violent under 100 as the TVR, but still feels v fast, and over 100 it's v impressive how it still keeps accelerating, although I'll try to avoid too much of that licence losing stuff!

Interior is typically Germanic, not as unique and stylish as the Tamora, but clear and functional. Not a lot of storage space though, and a fairly small boot.

Nice to have electric roof again (prev had an S2000), bluetooth and other gadgets.

Overall, I am really looking forward to putting some miles on this car, doing some European trips (Spa F1 in September), some airfield days, and some runs with the old TVR gang to see how she stacks up :thumbsup:
Merc SL55 AMG
previous cars: Interlagos blue Z4MR, TVR Tamora

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Hello.

Not much would compare with your TVR, I've been a passenger a few times :dizzy: but at least you'll have the reliability, plus the toys like you say.

How do you think it compares to the S2000?

AlexRWD

Post by AlexRWD » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:25 pm

Wondermike wrote: How do you think it compares to the S2000?
Hi Mike - S2000 is a great car, but difficult for me to compare the 2 directly as it is over 3 years since I had the S.

When it came out in 1999, 240 hp was respectable.

However, times have moved on, and that's hot hatch horsepower. It's a real shame Honda never produced a more powerful version, which would I am sure have retained a lot of S2000 owners, who have naturally enough moved on to other faster cars.
Merc SL55 AMG

lawnmower__man

Post by lawnmower__man » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Alex!

You made it over here then! :D

AlexRWD

Post by AlexRWD » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:29 pm

lawnmower__man wrote:Hi Alex!

You made it over here then! :D
Yup, thanks for the steer :D
Merc SL55 AMG

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:06 pm

AlexRWD wrote:
Wondermike wrote: How do you think it compares to the S2000?
Hi Mike - S2000 is a great car, but difficult for me to compare the 2 directly as it is over 3 years since I had the S.

When it came out in 1999, 240 hp was respectable.

However, times have moved on, and that's hot hatch horsepower. It's a real shame Honda never produced a more powerful version, which would I am sure have retained a lot of S2000 owners, who have naturally enough moved on to other faster cars.
Yep, getting a bit long in the tooth now isn't it. Is there a replacement due sometime soon, will they replace it at all? There were a few ex-s2k owners on Z4um, and some here too, as you know.

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:20 pm

Had an S2000 and thought it was a great car. I decided to be sensible and bought a 2.5si to replace it, its all the Z4 you really really need 8)

But then I was forced at gunpoint to swap it for an Z4 M roadster (honest)

Many S2000 fans would have loved to have seen the car developed with more power to keep pace with BMW and Porsche, maybe a 3 litre special Type 'R' or a supercharged car. Doesn't look like it will be replaced directly when it finally goes next year which will be a shame.

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:49 pm

You picked a great car :thumbsup: - now how about some pictures??
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

muppet

Post by muppet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:51 pm

shiney pics pleeze :P
ZED 3 2.8 quick enough for an old bloke.. then I crashed it...now it's fixed

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 pm

sammyz wrote:...But then I was forced at gunpoint to swap it for an Z4 M roadster (honest) ...
I hope you're never offered the chance at gunpoint to swap it for the bus home :lol: